Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AI-Produced Music Raises Copyright Questions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dani Deahl, writing at The Verge:

AI is capable of making music, but does that make AI an artist? As AI begins to reshape how music is made, our legal systems are going to be confronted with some messy questions regarding authorship. Do AI algorithms create their own work, or is it the humans behind them? What happens if AI software trained solely on Beyoncé creates a track that sounds just like her? “I won’t mince words,” says Jonathan Bailey, CTO of iZotope. “This is a total legal clusterfuck.”

I’m filing this article in the “things I wasn’t even thinking about earlier but now can’t stop” folder.

Essie, Mr. Serotonin and Dumblecore like this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

:anguish:

3. BradBradley

Regular

Oh, god. This is the 384th week in a row that Songtron ver. 4.1 has been at #1 on the charts... all of them.

Dan O'Neill and David Parke like this.
  4. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. To be fair, it’s REALLY good!

Essie likes this.
  6. Dan O'Neill, Cheek and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I mean, generally the industry has been bad at properly paying artists for their work, so I don't expect that to change with AI. Setting that mild joke aside, I do completely understand how challenging it will be from a legal standpoint, and I grow more concerned about the consolidation of wealth through automation every passing day.