Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Against Me! Will Perform in North Carolina as a Form of Protest

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tasneem Nashrulla, writing for Buzzfeed, spoke with Laura Jane Grace of Against Me! about the band’s choice to play a concert in North Carolina next month in light of the state’s ridiculous new “bathroom law.”

“Bryan Adams and Bruce Springsteen aren’t transgender,” Grace said. “For them to say, ‘I think this bill is messed up and I’m not going to go here and be part of the state,’ that seems like the effort of an ally, which is really commendable.”

But Grace said that the transgender people who live in North Carolina don’t have the option to boycott the state. “They live here. They pay taxes. They are prisoners to it.” While Grace acknowledged that someone like Springsteen canceling his concert brought a lot of attention to the issue, she said, “no one would care if we canceled.”

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I have a lot of respect for this. I lived in NC for 5 years and was friends with many LGBT people and there was a really great network going on. I wasn't surprised to hear that a law like this passed in the state, but I am directly connected to many amazing people affected by it. This is an event that can give all of them a voice in protesting that law.

3. ianzandi

Regular

So punk rock. Proud of that stance

rxbandit89 likes this.
  4. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

That's badass.

5. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I love this band.

6. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Laura Jane Grace is seriously the most punk rock human being there is. So much respect for her

cybele likes this.
  7. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Fucking cool. Hoping for some good video

8. Raku

Regular

Not to be rude, but I'm confused as to why giving a backwards state like this support is a way to protest such a ridiculous law?

Wouldn't it hurt the state more to just boycott it?

9. Lauren is one of the coolest people out there

10. Connor Apr 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 14, 2016)
    Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

The state would not be hurt in the slightest if Against Me chose not to play. You know who would be hurt? The fans of the band, the fans that support Laura and the LBGT community, the fans that have no choice but to live in a state that would vote in such a law. The whole LBGT community of that state suffers by bands refusing to play, cause like me and you, they love these bands, why should they be punished for a law they strongly oppose.

Also think about it this way, as a transgendered woman, Laura is a target of this stupid law, but she is saying screw it and playing a punk rock show in a state where the majority straight up doesn't want her to be there, a state that feels she doesn't deserve the same rights as everyone else. That is the protest, the f-you attitude of showing up and playing anyway and supporting the discriminated against population is the protest.

11. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

12. bennjeff

Regular

I'm glad that Against Me is choosing to continue with their concert here in NC. I'm a lifelong resident and the bill nothing but a giant embarrassment, but music fans have no say in the matter. It was a shit bill that was passed in an emergency session under the cover of darkness so I'm glad Laura isn't punishing fans for something asshole politicians pushed through. Last week Joel McHale performed in Durham with a homemade LBGTQ Durham shirt and donated his entire paycheck to a local LBGTQ charity and said he will come back once the law is repealed which I thought was pretty cool.

I honestly don't know the best way to go about things like this bill though. I mean Springsteen and Ringo Starr cancelling shows makes noise but like Laura said Against Me cancelling wouldn't make much news here. I just hope artists will continue to come and think of fans instead of staying away but maybe that is selfish of me. I am curious to see how this bill will effect the Pearl Jam, Beyonce, and Modest Mouse/Brand New shows that are scheduled for to be here this spring and summer

fenway89 likes this.
  13. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I really really really hope I can make it to this. It just falls during a time where I'm uncertain if I'll still be here in NC. I don't even like their music to be honest, never have - I just want to show my support. If I do make it I will definitely record some of the statements / speeches that Laura plans to make.

14. Tata Toothy

Regular

Kind of on topic, but did you guys see Mumford and sons are donating all the money for the sold out show in NC to the LBGTQ community.

Good for those guys! I wish Bruce did the same thing.