Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

After 91 Years, New York Will Let Its People Boogie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

A nearly century-old law that turned New York bars into no-dancing zones, prevented singers like Billie Holiday and Ray Charles from performing and drew protest from Frank Sinatra, is finally set to be struck down.

The Cabaret Law was created during Prohibition to patrol speakeasies, and while its restrictions on musicians came and went, the ban on social dancing has remained — leaving generations of club owners flicking the lights or playing “Eleanor Rigby” to still the crowd, lest they be fined or padlocked by the police in midnight raids. It is an odd and archaic regulation in a city that thinks of itself as a night life capital, but one that has resisted multiple attempts at repeal.

Kevin Bacon wins again.

2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I always wondered why bars in NYC had signs posted that said "no dancing." I really thought it was just an ironic sign, now it's all making sense :-)

3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Well I've apparently broken the law a lot.

4. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Seriously this. I had to re-read the article because I had no idea this existed, nor have I seen it enforced.

5. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

I'm about to get my MOSH on this weekend. Look out, dive bars in Brooklyn.

Jason Tate likes this.