Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AFI - Bodies (June 11, 2021) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I was underwhelmed by the first couple singles on their own, so I went in expecting to be disappointed. Instead I find myself really enjoying the whole album, even the songs that didn't wow me initially. I love the keys, the atmosphere, and the variety of sounds. At this point I think I prefer it to the self-titled.

JamesMichael likes this.
  2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Okay so I think this album is good, not great. It's definitely better than Blood Album which is pretty easily my least favorite release by them

I think my main issue with AFI post-Burials (a very underrated album) is that Davey sounds kind of bored a lot of the time. I get that he's not as young as he used to be but he sounds genuinely uninterested for a lot of Blood, which is for the most part fixed on this album. I still have a couple issues with this (namely that it could have been catchier; a lot of the choruses sound like prechoruses that should have led to something bigger), but this is definitely a step in the right direction, I really like the sound they went for for the most part. Off first listen my favorites are Twisted Tongues, Dulceria, Escape from Los Angeles and No Eyes but I'm definitely gonna give it some more listens

disambigujason likes this.
  3. deflector

formerly pizzatime

This album takes more risks than Blood. So I appreciate it for that, but I still think there's more good than bad in the Blood/Missing Man era: White Offerings, Pink Eyes, Above the Bridge, Hidden Knives, Break Angels, Back into the Sun. None of the new songs really go for this type of energy (except for maybe No Eyes).

4. dash64

This is my design

Ended up getting the Target version with the alternate cover and patch. This will take a few more listens but I’m liking most of it so far

disambigujason likes this.
  5. I literally fell asleep listening to this. Really feeling the sentiments on Davey's vocals. Saw them on the Burials tour as one of my first concerts (I was 12) and I miss that energy. They haven't really done anything to appease me since then.

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The only songs from that entire era that really stick out to me as great are Aurelia, Hidden Knives, Snow Cats, Dumb Kids, Pink Eyes, Trash Bat and Get Dark

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

I don't know if I've ever felt older than I did seeing this post

8. 333 GANG

ACAB

I never thought I’d say this about this band, but there’s not a single song on this I ever have the desire to come back to.

xmilesross likes this.
  9. Bane

The spiciest meme

I mostly like this, there's nothing that amazes me but there's nothing I dislike. There's a few tracks that are pretty ho hum, On Your Back is probably my least favorite, but I still like Twisted Tongues, Looking Tragic, Escape from Los Angeles, and some non singles like Dulceria, Back from the Flesh and No Eyes.

Burials was probably the last album from them that wowed me with certain songs, although White Offerings, Aurelia and Snow Cats are still bangers.

10. cherrywaves

Trusted

Sing the Sorrow is the last album I really loved by them. DU had some good tracks, I need to revisit it. Really liked 2-3 songs on Crash Love. I don't care about Burials but "17 Crimes" might be my favorite AFI track. Didn't listen to the last one, and the few songs I heard from this didn't really wow me.

stars143 likes this.
  11. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

agreed.

333 GANG likes this.
  12. Samesies, and I'm bummed that this is my first time experiencing this as a fan. I did like The Blood Album more than most. Despite the bloatedness and some of the repetitive arrangements, it had an energy and some throwback moments that are completely missing from this release. Speaking about missing... the EP that followed that album was actually solid and iffy production aside, hinted at interesting musical directions. I can't help but be disappointed that it wasn't a taste of things to come after all.

Bodies not only feels more of the same, but seems stripped of most of the things that drew me to the band in the first place. It all blends together, sounds recycled and flat for most of its duration, and I can't really think of any key songs or even parts that made me go "wow". I'm going to keep trying but yeah, I guess I'll anticipate the next Blaqk Audio album if I want more inspiration from Davey and Jade instead.

robb likes this.
  13. 333 GANG

ACAB

I enjoyed a good handful of songs on The Blood Album, but I thought the production was awful and sounded super muddy.

There’s nothing I can really compliment here lol

14. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

My issue is, once again, the lyrics. We get it, Davey, you enjoy sex. Come up with something else, please.

15. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I think the thing that bums me out the most is that I like almost all of the songs instrumentally....at first. The problem though is that they never take the songs anywhere interesting from where they begin.

It’s fine to have the actual music keep a single vibe throughout and to avoid making major changes every time you transition to a new part of the song (that’s pretty common)....but if you’re going to go that route, the vocals have to carry the load to keep things fresh and interesting. But they just don’t do that.

You end up with droning vocals and an instrumental that was interesting initially but quickly wears out its welcome and goes nowhere. That’s why the songs feel as though they are building to something that never comes.

16. Davey did a track with my favorite house artist Lane 8. And that was the most random shit of the day for me.

stars143 likes this.
  17. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

AFI and Cold Cave tour

hell fucking yeah

deflector and Argus like this.
  18. myawrld Jun 21, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2021)
    myawrld

Regular

Agreed. The most uninspired performance from the band I've ever heard. I don't even need old AFI sound and while I'm an electronica fan - I feel that Davey's really lost what made him special as an artist to me and that's his raw energy (unbeholden to a specific genre) which this just doesn't have at all.

Edit: I'd be shocked if I revisit this.

333 GANG and maryp1603 like this.
  19. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I'd to this if it were at Birmingham or Nashville.

20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

while I don't really like this album much, I give them some kudos for at least trying something new. A lot of this sounds like new territory for the band, after a few albums in a row playing it really safe. Does it pay off? Not really, but at least they tried haha

21. musicfan10

Trusted

I’m struggling with it and I’m a huge afi fan

22. Murph

Regular Supporter

Have any presale codes been released yet for tomorrow or Thursday? Looking to buy Terminal 5 tickets and tack it on my buddy's tab before he pays me back for Billie Eilish tickets this week haha

23. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

dulceria

starting tomorrow at 10

Murph likes this.
  24. Murph

Regular Supporter

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Love the avi btw. Can't wait for the new one in January.

25. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Catch me in Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, and LA.

Contender likes this.