Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AFI - Bodies (June 11, 2021) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah exactly. None of my issues are with the direction or style of the music at all. I like the songs instrumentally, and I don't need AFI to sound anything like they did pre-Sing the Sorrow (or even during decemberunderground, for that matter). I'm down for whatever style they want to try at this stage, but I'd really prefer if these songs had a little bit of enthusiasm to them. A hook, some energy, some memorable lyrics, at least a definable melody here and there. We get none of that. Instead, they all mesh together into one big blur.

I think I agree about them needing an outside producer to filter ideas through. These songs sound like they took one or two stabs at coming up with the vocals and called it good.

2. JM95

Trusted

I actually found Dulceria pretty dull as well. If only there was some clever word play I could use...

333 GANG likes this.
  3. TM90

Regular

I get that they're trying to do the whole project in house. Back in 2002-03, they could spend $30K+ for preproduction, hiring Vig & Finn, and really taking time to be deliberate and revise, revise, revise. Those budgets are essentially gone. They had it for DU, but since then with the falloff in the industry and budgets gone, they have to find a way to make ends meet that album sales (and in 2020, touring) just don't provide.

Let's face it... STS level intentionality as a record... an integrated, narrative-driven record.... that era is dead and gone. Discounting the musical style or lyrical themes, the albumesque flow is no longer there. And fans wanting that are gonna be disappointed. As said above, streaming is the name of the game now, hence the way they're releasing songs every month. I get it. It's a bit disappointing, but I understand.

macbethfan likes this.
  4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

still love burials, everything they've released since then has struck me as v weird in a bad way

macbethfan likes this.
  5. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I mean... yes and no. Metal bands still do the album as album thing just fine. Last year's Bright Eyes record was pretty much a standard BE album. Same thing with Coheed's last record. But I get your point that if you want to make money you're going to adopt the streaming model, unless you're Radiohead or MCR or something. And AFI being... not as popular as they once were (to put it mildly), they probably know this is their best shot to actually have people talking and getting that streaming revenue.

beachdude likes this.
  6. THW

So I didn’t realize how many singles had been released from this album already and I just got done listening to Far Too Near, Dulceria, Begging for Trouble, and Looking Tragic for the first time and found myself really enjoying them. My interest for this album absolutely cratered after they put out Twisted Tongues and Escape from Los Angeles so I will never understand why they decided those should be the first two singles. Either way I’m looking forward to this album now after listening to the other four “new” songs off of it. These guys are definitely not what they once were but Burials showed they are still capable of delivering the goods. Fingers crossed for this one.

8. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Me: Oh, Drew posted in the AFI thread, maybe he got the album early and has something to say about it.

Drew:

kyle likes this.
  9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

this album still isn't out huh?

10. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I am surprised they haven't dropped two more songs yet.

11. razorburn

Trusted

12. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Weirdly enough the verses on "Tied to a Tree" are the closest AFI has sounded to the ballads on Black Sails/AOD since. Real God Called In Sick/6 to 8 vibes. Unfortunately, The "chorus" is not good. Makes no sense and there's not a satisfactory build up or ending. Overall not very good and one of my least favorites on the record.

13. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Kind of a weird take, and it sounds like you're saying AFI aren't that good of songwriters/performers/producers since they need huge budgets to make good albums.

14. Kylee

Regular

They just need an actual producer, in addition to Jade producing.

macbethfan likes this.
  15. sukottokairu

Regular

i have no issue with the production or songwriting instrumentally, my biggest issue with AFI nowadays is Davey's safe vocals. he no longer pushes his voice anymore and that is what made AFI so great in the past. his range and passion was incredible but now his melody choices and how he uses his voice, sounds uninspired.

with that said, i still enjoy these new songs and will give the record some spins.

16. Kylee

Regular

LOL this is exactly what a producer would help with

JamesMichael and Argus like this.
  17. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Guys, Davey's almost 50.

henryviolence, Micah511 and Contender like this.
  18. stars143

Trusted

Relevant username

19. I don't think age is an issue here. He sounds great and his melodies are also inspired on the newer Blaqk Audio stuff, without him needing to sing at the upper part of his range. Something just is missing with these AFI singles.

333 GANG likes this.
  20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Missing the other available notes, perhaps. He seems to only want to use a single note throughout each song.

I'm halfway joking, but still... All of these songs are so bland and run together when it comes to the vocals.

333 GANG likes this.
  21. The new song is a snooze.

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah least fav by far. Still excited about this new album.

23. 333 GANG

ACAB

Has nothing to do with it. There’s zero urgency in his voice on any of these songs. He’s extremely one note making it all bleed together.

Crisp X likes this.
  24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Looking forward to this!

25. Kylee

Regular

I've been an AFI fanboy for a long long time and have loved everything they do, but this album lost me. Aside from maybe 3 songs, this is 100% forgettable. Sounds more like Blaqk Audio than AFI.

The opening track seems to continue the Missing Man sound but then it goes into this generic 80s synth party pop for most of the album. And then the closing track is weird in the context of the rest of the album as well. I just don't get what they were going for here.