Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AFI - Bodies (June 11, 2021) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jan 12, 2021.

1. By the way, both new songs aren't doing much for me. They're neither bad or great, just... there, which is a feeling that's somewhat new coming from them. It's a bummer because I actually liked The Blood Album and the Missing Man EP a lot, despite their flaws (as usual, the production) but this is the first time I feel like they're going through the motions. None of the singles have really made me excited for the new album so far. We'll see what the remaining ones have to offer, but it's always disconcerting when you've been following a band for so long and then one day they start releasing stuff that suddenly doesn't click with you. Still, fingers crossed that they've got some surprises upon us.

2. Rawrz

Regular

Wish we could get more Trash Bat AFI and less of all whatever these new songs are.

finnyscott likes this.
  3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

This sounds pretty cool.

Contender likes this.
  4. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

They're releasing two more songs tomorrow. I think I'll hold off because hearing 6 tracks before release is kind of a bummer, and I've already got it pre-ordered.

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah I'm gonna hold off until the album is out at this point

6. Kylee

Regular

Huge AFI fanboy here. I hate Dulceria. Far Too Near sounds like all of the songs released so far boiled down into a decent fast song.

This album is already such a let down to me.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Keep giving me more new wave/post-punk AFI. Can’t help but think these dudes were heavily influenced by Joy Division, New Order, and The Cure writing this album.

I’m really into all these new songs. Really excited about this release!

8. Kylee

Regular

LOL that's literally what's been influencing them from their beginning, but it's finally coming out more directly

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  9. deflector

formerly pizzatime

"Dulceria" is actually my favorite of the new songs. At least they're trying something different with the falsetto verses, and the chorus is pretty good. I enjoy listening to it.

"Far too Near" is okay. It and "Begging for Trouble" are decent tracks, even if they're pretty standard dad-wave, which is what AFI is now, I guess. They've always been influenced by Joy Division, New Order, and the Cure - it just usually isn't this "safe." "Killing Lights," "Above the Bridge," "17 Crimes," the Dreamcar album, Blaqk Audio in general: these are all tracks/projects that do new wave-influenced rock/punk better.

"Twisted Tongues" and "Looking Tragic" are just... boring.

"Escape from LA" is just so bad - might be my least favorite AFI tune of all time. Part of this is the production honestly.

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

yeah i actually think these two are the best of these singles lol

11. Cmoney86

Trusted

Half this album is out already. 6/11 songs have been released and it doesn’t come out for another 2 months. I wonder how many more they release between now and June 11th

12. deflector

formerly pizzatime

they're going to release two in May also I bet. they know they're not selling physical copies of this album except to the die hards so why not just go for maximum streaming revenue I guess.

beachdude and stars143 like this.
  13. I feel like they’re trying to do what Ceremony did, but just can’t get there.

deflector likes this.
  14. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

15. razorburn

Trusted

16. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Leftandleaving likes this.
  17. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I like Dulceria and most of these songs. It's just not really an AFI album to me so I'm just trying to take it for what it is and not think about that lol

18. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Dulceria being co written by Billy Corgan makes a lot of sense; it is pretty pumpkins-esque.

One thing I do like about most of the new songs is the bass so kudos to Hunter for finally getting his time to shine

beachdude and Mrk_Brdshw like this.
  19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

That explains why I like it

20. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

Absolutely agree. Although his bass on 17 Crimes is *chef’s kiss*

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hopefully there will be an AFI/AVA tour.

22. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I actually really like Dulceria. I’m not going to be over playing these new songs given the long roll out.

23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I listened to Dulceria since it's a full-on single with a video (not listening to anything else until this is out) and it's easily the best and most interesting song off this album so far, it actually sounds like they're trying something different and care

24. robb

Regular

Very much agreed with most of this.

Let's be real - All Hallows and BSITS-era Davey, in his garbage bag-material outfits, devilock, yapping and howling obtuse lyrics - awesome during its time. Do I want 40s Davey doing that? Absolutely not. I also don't need 40's Davey in a gross mullet thing singing melodies to hopefully make some crossover hit single.

I also wonder if Davey and Jade lost a bit of the plot of writing for AFI vs BA, letting the styles leak into each other.

There can be a comfortable middle ground between that era Davey and what we've gotten recently, I just don't think we've gotten it. Since Burials, I can put together a solid 10 track AFI album, but not sure how high even that would rank for me.

25. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

The problem here and what I’ve said over the last few releases is the lack of direction from a producer. You need someone’s ears outside the bands that can be a bit more forward with good and bad ideas. It just feels like they’re going through the motions.