Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AFI - Bodies (June 11, 2021) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

yeah that's dumb as hell

2. stars143

Trusted

In today's streaming environment where Spotify's Release Radar and similar are a big part of people finding new releases, multiple song releases before an album release isn't stupid.

3. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Begging for Trouble > Twisted Tongues > Looking Tragic > Escape from L.A.

Not super excited about any of them, but BFT is decent. All of these tracks are basically less catchy Dreamcar songs.

disambigujason likes this.
  4. I get that, but it's definitely weird to drop them this soon and in a "double single" manner. They should've spaced them out.

stars143 likes this.
  5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Seems strange to release songs in doubles this early, there’s still over three months until the album and if they release more songs half the album will be out before release.

6. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I feel like I have the same reaction to most of their newer songs including these two... They go in one ear and out the other. Not that I think they're bad, necessarily, but I don't even remember what they sounded like once they're done. They're all just kind of bland.

7. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I think I’ve just outgrown this band personally. Nothing has clicked since Decemberunderground for me, and that’s fine.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  8. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Now that I know all of these songs are on the album, I'm gonna hold off on listening to any more. Only heard TT and EFLA so far (and I enjoy them).

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Suuuuuper pumped about this!

10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Really into the new tracks especially Tragic.

think they will translate well live

11. deflector

formerly pizzatime

looking closely at the tracklist, "Twisted Tongues" is so weird as an opening track. maybe they really do need a producer.

12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I definitely like the new two-pack more than the first one, but I do agree that none of these songs are really that interesting unfortunately

I fuck with the album art though

13. I’m going to give the album a shot (in freakin June!) and maybe as a whole I’ll enjoy it but I don’t care for the individual songs right now.

14. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Always excited for new AFI. I'm not super stoked on these songs though, and the rollout is not to my liking. Was this the album that they had planned on releasing last year? I feel like the songs so far aren't' up the quality of the first songs released from the last two records(I Hope You Suffer / Snow Cats, White Offerings). I'm sure they will grow on me some and especially in the context of the album, at least.

(And I really did like everything from Burials and Blood)

Crisp X likes this.
  15. Jbent

Trusted

My hang up with really getting behind new afi music despite seriously trying pretty hard each release cycle is that, I've just been bummed in the direction of the band for a long time. Super pumped they're still going and doing their thing, creative control/self production, aesthetics, no doubt. But just kind of a personal annoyance I can't get into new afi albums outside a handful of tracks

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Same here, unfortunately. I still give each new release a fair chance and really want to like them, too. I just end up so indifferent.

Jbent likes this.
  17. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

My issue continues to be the lyrics. I just think they’re so stale. I remember needing a dictionary with BSITS and STS.

deflector, Argus and Jbent like this.
  18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I’m loving all 4 songs. Really into the vibe.

Contender likes this.
  19. 333 GANG

ACAB

His lyrics have definitely regressed with time.

20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm glad to hear them changing it up a little with these new singles but I've had a theory that Davey and Jade are more into Blaqk Audio now, they still continue to switch the sound of that project and drop albums pretty often

deflector likes this.
  21. Argus Feb 27, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 27, 2021)
    Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

Yes! His lyrics used to be so esoteric, and now they're a shell of that. I also think it's interesting how he used to leave the song meaning to the listener's interpretation, but for this album he's coming out and saying exactly what each song is about. Although the shallow lyrics already make that unnecessary.

AFI is my favorite band. I've been a DF member for nearly 20 years. This is easily the least excited I've been for a release. I like this week's songs more than the first two, but it's a low bar. It's the lyrics and general structures. They need an outside producer.

22. deflector

formerly pizzatime

People change as they get older and so I don't blame Davey for the difference in lyrical content. Like it's equally sad to be in your 40's and writing tracks about "murderous filigree" and crawling ivy or whatever. But I agree the ideas being explored here are not particularly interesting. They're also themes that he's seemingly been obsessed with for a while now (celebrity, the west coast, appearance, teenage isolation). Bodies is shaping up to be the soundtrack to Davey's novel Pop Kids, which no one read (because why would you?).

His lyrics on Missing Man and Blood were overall fine. I still maintain it's his delivery/melodies that are the problem. Everything's too regular. I'm not saying he needs to go back to his energy from 20 years ago, but there needs to be some emotion here.

robb and Argus like this.
  23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Pre-ordered a vinyl. I feel like this will be a nice summer album.

24. Steven Shea

these are some of the reasons I have stopped listening. I’m a fan so I’ll check out the new album but the singles are mundane.

25. I think I just can't get into this whole new wave thing they've been half-sending, it was the same with Blood and that EP. Obviously they're not gonna be the same band they were in 2003 but damn, I wish they were.

I always felt like this band jumped from the "we just got famous" part of their career to the "let's just do weird shit and act like a legacy act" part way too quickly. It blows my mind that there were only 6 years between STS and Crash Love.

Burials was sick though. Honestly top 3 for me.

macbethfan and stars143 like this.