Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AFI Announce New EP; Stream New Song

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

AFI have released their new song “Get Dark” and announced a new EP called The Missing Man. The EP will be out on December 7th and pre-orders are now up.

Track Listing

1. Trash Bat
    2. Break Angels
    3. Back Into The Sun
    4. Get Dark
    5. The Missing Man

2. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

This is...OK? Something about the sound is off. AFI can do lush and layered studio stuff or raw as hell punk, but this sound reminds me of the sound on Damage by JEW and not in a good way. Just lo-fi, somewhat cheap sounding. The band is too good for that.

I don't know how they can recapture the lightning in a bottle they had with Sing the Sorrow and Decemberunderground. Most bands never hit those highs, and we should be lucky we got them at all. Burials was a solid record with some terrific individual songs.

Hopeful the other stuff has more staying power.

3. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

17 crimes, heart stops, and greater than 84' all slap.

4. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I also go hard for The Conductor and A Deep Slow Panic. Saw them on the Rise Against tour and they did I Hope You Suffer; while that song is a pivot, it is also TITANIC live.

Davjs and Dan O'Neill like this.
  5. oneeightytwo

Regular

Jerry Finn.

6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

17 crimes, even as a single, was so underrated. That song would’ve been massive if it came out sooner I think.

Davjs and Dan O'Neill like this.
  7. Their last two albums have been really solid.

This is pretty good. Not great, but good.

8. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Sounds like AFI to me.

9. DannyZach

Trusted

17 crimes is my favorite from them

Davjs likes this.
  10. Phillip

BOO

Trash bat...?

The drums don’t sound very good on this song.

11. ARo24

Regular

It’s alright. I can dig that guitar solo.

Davjs likes this.
  12. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Not bad. Figuring these are all leftover recordings from The Blood Album sessions since they mentioned they wrote about 60 songs for the record.

13. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Did Blood grow on you? Thought I remember the production being a massive downside for you and others.

14. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Yeah the production is a step down on Blood and this in my opinion since Jade took over there. Don’t mind the rawness but I think they sound better with a bigger sound a la STS, DU and CL.

disambigujason likes this.
  15. It has grown on me, and I do think that's still the worst part though. I like Burials a whole lot more.

disambigujason likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Agreed on all counts. Blood still has a few on par with their best though. As you said, a solid release.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Gen Handley

Regular

I loved The Blood Album - I'm excited to see where this EP goes.

18. currytheword

Trusted

Last two albums are an amazing, natural, and mature progression of where this band’s sound was before Crash Love. Never understand how fans don’t like those albums. Davey sounds possibly the best he ever has.

Lee Thomas likes this.
  19. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I didn't like the last album at first (I think production was a big hangup for me), but eventually it clicked with me. I definitely enjoyed Burials more, but there is a good chunk of The Blood Album that I kept going back to for sure.

currytheword likes this.
  20. currytheword

Trusted

Hidden Knives gets stuck on repeat in my head constantly.

disambigujason and JamesMichael like this.
  21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Dark snow, hidden knives, above the bridge, feed from the floor, White offerings are all the top tier AFI. the rest is weird bc there are parts of each song I love and parts I really dislike.

currytheword likes this.