Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AFI (A Fire Inside) Band • Page 41

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Twisted Tongues is a AFI ass song. I love it. Prefer the direction on Escape from LA.

I'm a happy fan.

2. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

huge meh

Brent likes this.
  3. I'm liking both songs. Curious how I'm going to feel about this album. Didn't care much for Burials or the Blood album, but I loved the Missing Man EP.

4. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

It’s a no for me. Despite them being my favorite band and having two AFI tattoos, I’ve realized they are very much a nostalgia act for me that brings me back to my teen years. I haven’t been in love with anything they’ve done for nearly 10 years. The last album I really liked was Burials. I liked TMM, but it didn’t amaze me. My music taste is so far from them now, I wasn’t expecting much.

Brent likes this.
  5. razorburn Jan 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2021)
    razorburn

Trusted

“Twisted Tongues” never really takes off for me. By the fourth chorus, I’m spent. It would benefit from being a little faster and cutting part of the bridge.

"Escape from Los Angeles" is the better of the two, in my opinion. I hope they go with that direction for the album.

The production really lets these songs down I think, especially with how lifeless the drums sound. Davey, however, sounds excellent as usual.

Crisp X likes this.
  6. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

This is generally how I've felt about them after Burials as well. With the majority of the songs I've heard from them since then, they just don't really have that thing that really grabs me.

It's hard to put my finger on it, but I think a lot of the tracks (including the two new ones) feel like they just meander without ever really getting to that moment that really hooks me in.

333 GANG, maryp1603 and stars143 like this.
  7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Honestly didn't know they were still around. New songs were fine, but nothing that blew me away.

8. Jackbo487

Regular

I saw Davey at a vegan restaurant in Los Angeles one time. That was cool.

Brent and irthesteve like this.
  9. deflector

formerly pizzatime

it's cause Jade basically does everything now.

anyway the songs are trying something new but I'm not entirely sure it works

10. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I saw Davey at Donut Friend in LA once. He held the door open for me, then went up to the counter to order and gave them the name David, which it had fully never occurred to me, is his actual name.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

‘Twisted Tongues’ is just like one long build up that never gets anywhere

‘Escape’ sounds pretty cool i guess but i’m definitely uninterested in an album of songs that sound like either of these.

333 GANG, Mrk_Brdshw and Brent like this.
  12. deflector

formerly pizzatime

also there are a million songs about how much l.a. sucks. stop writing them!

Brent likes this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeahhhhhhhh these aren't their best songs

14. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Yeah these songs are exactly what I was fearing with Jade producing again. Absolutely no disrespect as he’s incredibly talented and I respect that they probably want more control of the recording process but I think they need to work with a producer again.

I remember Davey and Jade saying in an interview that Jerry Fin helped shape STS and DU (similar to how blink 182 felt).

Argus and 333 GANG like this.
  15. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I agree. As much as I love this band, I feel like their sound can get a little bland at times (a big complaint I had with the last album). Having an outside person to pull out their best ideas seems to keep them interesting.

JamesMichael likes this.
  16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I’m into both of them

Contender and Anthony_ like this.
  17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Post-DU AFI songs usually take some time to grow on me but these were both okay on first listen. Echoing people that haven't really been into anything much past Burials though, it just feels like something is missing

18. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

One one listen so far. They are "fine"; kind of bland. Reminiscent of the blandness of most of Crash Love, to me. (to reiterate I loved Burials and Blood)

deflector likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Gosh, I'm actually really into these songs. I totally understand it when people say they're not really single worthy, but thats cool with me. Twisted Tongues is growing on me more and I really like the chorus a lot. I would love more stuff like Escape From LA though. It has hints of AFI, Joy Division, and for some reason, Dead To Me. It might be the beat and bass in the song or the fact that it's a song about LA lol.

This is a band who I'd be completely content with exploring and changing their sound every album while releasing more old school AFI EP's like Missing Man between albums. It would greatly satisfy my relationship with this band.

Contender likes this.
  20. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Definitely like twisted tongues more, escape feels like a poorly executed good idea, but both seem like fairly fresh afi songs. Doesn’t seem like we’ll get a career highlight album but I’m always looking forward to more afi.

21. The way he sings “west coast” is so funny to me

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

My biggest problem with Escape from LA is that the chorus sounds like a pre-chorus, I keep expecting something big to come afterwards

23. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

did not particularly enjoy either of those. Twisted Tongues was okay, I'd be alright never listening to Escape from LA again

amorningofsleep and 333 GANG like this.
  24. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

That's my biggest takeaway from these tracks, too. There are some interesting parts in both, but they seem like half-formed products. I also think these are some of Davey's weakest lyrics.

JamesMichael likes this.
  25. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Yeah I've listened to these a few times off and on since release and they're not getting better/growing on me. This isn't even me "longing for the old days." I'm all for AFI becoming more new-wave or industrial, but these songs just don't have energy. Production is a problem but so is Davey at this point.

I'll second the comment earlier about Blaqk Audio still being pretty good. Like if you gave me the tracks "Summer's Out of Sight" and "Escape from LA" and asked me which one was the new AFI single and which was a random Blaqk Audio track, I'd beg you for Summer.