Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Advanced Posting Options on Mobile (Update: March 16, 2018)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Today I've made it much easier to do more advanced posting via mobile. Adding images, smilies, and attachments to posts is now available via the "more options" screen everywhere you can make posts.

Once you tap "more options" you'll see this screen:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 3.18.49 PM.png

From here I've added big tap targets for smilies, inserting an image, and adding attachments. These options were originally hidden on this screen unless you turned your phone sideways into landscape mode. Now, they're available in portrait mode.

The insert an image button (the camera) will allow you to paste any image URL into the box and insert it into your post with ease.

The smilie button will give you access to all the smilies/emoji we have on the website that can be inserted into your post (it appears below the posting box).

The insert attachment button (the paperclip) will allow you to upload and insert any image you have on your phone or tablet into your post. (I've only tested this with iPhones and iPads, but it should work with Android devices.) Once your image has been uploaded to your post, you can insert it into your post using the buttons below the posting area. (Just like on the desktop, you'll have the option of inserting the full image or a small thumbnail version of your attachment.)

Please let me know if you see any issues or errors. I think this is a great new addition to the mobile version of the site that opens up all kinds of new possibilities.

jorbjorb, RyanPm40, David87 and 7 others like this.
  2. AE18B716-8F15-42A8-B151-B79C2B42074E.png I’m sure this is an iOS thing but the keyboard pops up over every smiley/emoji selector. Gotta scroll down unless you want the smiley/emoji in front of your text. Otherwise a welcome addition!

3. Yeah, for some reason iOS reads the tap of the button as a time to pull up the keyboard, and I'm not sure why. I've looked at a few options and can't figure out why that tap thinks it's a keyboard time. I think it's because it sends the cursor down to the posting box after clicking it, for the insertion point. You can click "done" if you want and it'll go away. I'm looking to see if there's better ways to do that.

David Parke likes this.
  4. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Yay!!!

Switching to landscape was a major inconvenience. :-p

5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Yay my images will finally be able to work again

Dirty Sanchez and Jason Tate like this.
  6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Can confirm the same is true for Android. But still, this is awesome! Thanks a lot, this is super useful and I'm a lot more likely to use emojis now!