Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Adobe to Discontinue Flash in 2020

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Frederic Lardinois, writing for TechCrunch:

Adobe today announced that Flash, the once-ubiquitous plugin that allowed you to play your first Justin Bieber video on YouTube and Dolphin Olympics 2 on Kongregate, will be phased out by the end of 2020. At that point, Adobe will stop updating and distributing Flash. Until then, Adobe will still partner with the likes of Apple, Mozilla, Microsoft and Google to offer security updates for Flash in their browsers and support new versions of them, but beyond that, Adobe will not offer any new Flash features.

Good riddance.

2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Why not today?

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. jorbjorb

7 rings

YES

4. Yay, so I'll finally stop getting asked whether I want to update or not!

coleslawed, Essie and skogsraet like this.
  5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

hopefully this means websites will start using other things cause i don't even have it installed on firefox

6. razorburn

Trusted

About time.

7. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

I did a project for a client in ActionScript once. It was awful. Good riddance.

8. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I hope that will give enough time for HTML5 and Javascript to evolve to the point that they can completely replace all of its features. But yeah, as a Systems Administrator, Flash is a huge pain in the ass. It annoyed our users with popups (which meant it annoyed us as admins), so we suppressed notifications and started deploying all the updates ourselves. But that means I have to deal with deploying updates for Flash more often typically than even updates for Windows. Glad to see it gone.

9. Iamhollywood315

Regular

HTML 5 has been the successor alternative. Fuck flash just kill that shit already

10. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Aw man...The Flash is one of my favorite shows....

Raku likes this.
  11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

First MS Paint, now this?

Raku and coleslawed like this.
  12. Junction183

[​IMG]
    Anyone else remember this amazing Flash website for MxPx?

13. theredline Jul 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2017)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

Oh man...yes! Used to go there all the time!!!

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  14. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

What's happening with MS Paint? Microsoft just redid it and added 3D support! Paint will never die!

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Raku likes this.