Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Adele Gets Spotify to Disable Auto-Shuffle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Adele asked Spotify to disable auto-shuffle being on by default1 for albums, and they listened.

1. Blasphemy!

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

why was that ever the default? i don't use spotify so i had no idea. seems stupid as hell.

josh.hofer likes this.
  3. xenoabe

Regular

I imagine it had to do with the heavy favoring of playlists as the method of choice for most of their users. I did always find it odd on albums though. I'm a album front-to-back type of listener though.

theasteriskera likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I don't think it is on by default

5. brandon

Regular Prestigious

Thanks, now let's talk about why all my vinyl pressings keep getting delayed because they are prioritizing Adele's album instead

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I’ve never had an album auto shuffle for me, and I don’t remember ever changing the setting

marceting and The Lucky Moose like this.
  7. WasteSomeTime

Regular

That answer is pretty self explanatory haha. They care much more about Adele and the money she brings in then the limited 300 pressing of Mom Jeans, Senses Fail, or any other niche artist.

josh.hofer and Tata Toothy like this.
  8. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I think albums were only on auto-shuffle with the free version of Spotify.

9. Yep that + the annoying amount of ads made me switch to the Premium version.

10. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Nope. I pay and it was always like that.

bobby_runs and Orla like this.
  11. theredline

Trusted Supporter

It was. The only way I could play an album from beginning to end was by clicking track one and letting it play vs just clicking the play button at the top.

12. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Ah, I definitely misunderstood.

I just assumed that big green play button was specifically for people who wanted to start playing an album on shuffle. Kind of weird that can’t be done now.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  13. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I feel like if they want to have shuffle as an option it should be a separate button next to the play button. Similar to how it used to be (For me shuffle was a smaller button on top of the bottom of the play button) but two totally separate buttons. But I like how it just starts the album now. But I’ve always been a full album listener. But for me it wasn’t that big of a deal once I figured out that all I had to do was click track one…!

Orla likes this.
  14. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Oh darn, I thought this was going to solve my issue where I accidentally shuffle new albums all the time, but I pick the first song in an album and shuffle happens to be on and doesn’t turn itself off as opposed to me hitting the big play button at the top so I did it again today

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I see. I never use that button for albums I guess.

16. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, and once I figured it out it didn’t really matter that much. I’ll probably keep doing it the way I’ve always done (click track one) out of habit!

17. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I was a bit confused when my wife told me this news - and despite being a front-to-back listener myself, still thought it was a bit pretentious to require that. I realize my confusion was derived from always just clicking track 1 (like others have said), and not knowing it was just the shuffle play button being changed, and not shuffle listening being banned all together.

Orla likes this.
  18. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'd add, now looking at the app, I'm grateful the shuffle play button has been replaced by a regular play button for any and all albums (if it wasn't before?).