Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ad Astra (James Gray, September 20, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

That's the mystery of art in general - what are the different triggers in our head that allow us to connect with something or not. Expectations going in, previous life experiences, our mood at the time of seeing the art, etc. I wish there was a good research study on this or something

Mrplum5089 and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

coleslawed, imthesheriff and Lucas27 like this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

That totally sounds amazing! Haha

4. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

I really enjoyed this, which is despite the film in several ways reminding me of the superior First Man and I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than Gray's previous film.

5. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I can't stop thinking about this movie, and I hope to read more analytical pieces on it the next several months. I didn't know much about the film going into it, which I believe helped the film meet what little expectations I had. The score was wonderfully ominous and seriously made the movie that much better for me.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

I’ve been listening to this on repeat. Can’t wait for the full score to come out

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Haven't seen this yet so I haven't heard anything from the score, but Max Richter is the absolute best.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  8. Hearing Nils Frahm in this was tight

Ferrari333SP and phaynes12 like this.
  9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I had a big smile on my face when "Says" started playing, especially in two different scenes. I wanted to tweet Nils after seeing it on Thursday, but then I remember that he long ago stopped doing any social media

Aaron Mook and Dog with a Blog like this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

I didn’t know that track prior to the movie but god damn it’s so good

coleslawed and Aaron Mook like this.
  11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This is soooo good

12. Yeah I got that album through a Vinyl Me Please subscription in college. It's incredible. I play it a lot before going to bed.

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  13. Dog with a Blog

5C8FBC52-855B-4E63-8405-C6156204F8C3.png

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

seeing this tomorrow night and decently hyped

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Wonder why the soundtrack hasn't been released yet - weird

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I remember when Sunshine came out, and the soundtrack itself, because of legal issues with Underworld, delayed it for like a year or something

17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I loved the first half of this, thought the second half was pretty goofy

him sneaking onto a launching space shuttle and flying through the rings of Neptune with a space shield felt very silly in a movie that seems to be trying very hard to be a serious, emotional and contemplative movie..

visually it was all stunning, but the story left a lot to be desired.

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I thought the shield part wasn't that bad actually; the rings are Saturn are actually made up of extremely tiny fragments, like centimeter sized rocks, on average. I assume Neptune's rings would be the same as well, so using the shield to help get through the ring seemed like a fairly smart idea.

19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I honestly don't know enough about space to know if that would work, I do know Saturns rings are shockingly thin and that always trips me out, but even visually I was like "oh this seems absurd"

20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It felt like something out of a Marvel movie, tbh

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It reminded me of the Martian when he pierces his glove to fly around space "like Iron Man" which was a literal joke in the novel about how dumb of an idea it was but Ridley Scott was like "nah that sounds awesome lets do it"

22. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

The movie with a lunar Applebee’s and moon pirates and space baboons really lost me when this dude maneuvered his way through some rocks smh there goes my immersion

23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh yeah, good call. At least that movie was partially a comedy so it wasn’t as ridiculous as it was in this movie.

24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

That was literally the most realistic part of the movie. If we colonize the moon you better believe we would would have shitty strip malls with chain restaurants and economic equality where people would have to resort to piracy to survive.

I would kill for your optimism.

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t like the moon pirates at all but those other things are pretty realistic to assume they would happen. I mean, monkeys have already been sent to space. And that scene was great.