Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ad Astra (James Gray, September 20, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The moon being colonized and commercialized, to the point where people were at war with each other is something I'd like to see a spin off of. But I liked that they just let it be, instead of digging into it.

2. drewinseries

Drew

The lunar rover scene was phenomenal

Aaron Mook likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Probably my favorite part in the whole movie; the whole sequence being on the Moon was just incredible to watch. Loved how the sound went nearly silent as the rover flies off the cliff edge and just drifts and spins. Wondering what the pirates thought they were actually chasing after though, by going after the three good rovers Pitt was with. Did they assume those rovers had some valuable goods on board? Did they just want to steal the rovers?

I also hope somebody addresses at some point the purpose of the anti-matter machine itself; whether it was used solely to power the Lima project, and the station itself, for years and years on end, or was it used to do the searching for ET life in some way (which makes less sense to me). I assume NDGT or some scientist will at some point try to explain it.

drewinseries likes this.
  4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Movie looked gorgeous but the story was very weak.

5. drewinseries

Drew

I agree with the overuse of voice over. Like the tether scene with him and his father was beautiful, but I wonder if the the studio tried to spoon feed the themes down the audiences throat. Something about AMC marketing it as "Artisan Film" with a special gold border is off to me.

6. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I think it was to give further perspective on how humanity in the film is still subject to the most primal dangers. It was a theme. And it think it also supports the films message with its ending as well. But it was a scene that seemed displaced either way.

I thought it was fantastic film. I went into it expecting it to be cliche, but I do not think that was the case at all. A sci fi movie coming to the conclusion that there is no other intelligent life felt very unique

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

fucking LOVED this, y’all dweebs

8. phaynes12

wrong!!!

9. Morrissey

Trusted

I feel like this is more likely on the money.

coleslawed and flask like this.
  10. phaynes12

it's a very strong companion piece with lost city of z. while that feels like a father running away from family and mundane life, this feels like the effect that has on the family left behind.

coleslawed and Slangster like this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

September was a perfect storm of bills and low pay, so I will see this when I get paid at the end of the month.

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. BackyardHero11

Trusted

i absolutely loved this movie. beautifully shot, that score was excellent. some very exciting set pieces but I really enjoyed how quiet and alone it felt as well. I personally really enjoyed the voice over, that can go wrong so easily, but I felt Brad crushed it. Top tier performance of his for me.

coleslawed, flask and phaynes12 like this.
  13. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

y'all ever very wrong?

I didn't expect to really like this at all going in, but it grabbed me and engulfed me in a way that nothing else this year really has. One of the most effective movies I've ever seen, somehow a masterpiece. I'm pretty floored by it.

14. phaynes12

agreed haha. doesn't help that lucy in the sky looks like it's a mess.

drewinseries likes this.
  15. drewinseries

Drew

The way the scenes were shot going into the distress ship with the astronaut helmet reflecting the empty blackness of the open airlock was terrifyingly awesome.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

I was surprised at how dark this was. The quiet parts had this feeling of dread and made the violent moments extra jarring.

There was something so existentially terrifying about the moment he got to the Lima Project. Just floating through these long-dead astronauts in the most isolated part of space. It gives me chills to think his dad was there alone.

17. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Saw this Saturday and pretty much have not stopped thinking about it since. Really a stunning piece of work all around. I can see why the narration may irk some people but it only enhanced things for me. Pitt's performance is an all-timer and the visuals are just so haunting.

When the space rover spun off the cliff and the sound dropped out... Chills.

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This movie really gave me Terrence Malick-esque vibes, specifically The Thin Red Line (one of my most favorite movies ever), especially in regards to the voice-over narration.

19. Dog with a Blog

Hard agree. Was thinking this the whole time.

Anyways, I loved this. Gorgeous movie.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

Not to compare, but since it’s been tossed around, I enjoyed this a lot more than High Life. Gotta say, that was mostly forgettable for me. This I will be thinking about a lot and I want to see again.

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

This is very dumb and nit picky but, if I’m
    not mistaken, I’m pretty sure in one of Clifford’s videos from early on in the Lima Project I caught the date of 2071. But later they show a picture of a young Tommy Lee Jones

This one

[​IMG]

And it’s like...he probably would have been 20 in like 2040 or something. He would not have a picture that looked like it was taken in the 50s lol. Anyways, not a big deal, just took me out of it for a second.

Lucas27 and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  22. Lucas27

Trusted

You see, black and white is going to be back in style 20 years from now. It’ll be the new vinyl craze.

23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

They legit should have got Josh Brolin to pull an MIB III/Looper thing to take a normal in color pic, haha

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  24. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I'll probably catch this again this weekend, maybe it'll work more for me when I know what I'm getting

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I get the Terrance Malick comparisons because I had the same thoughts in the theater but it came off as more of a poor job trying to imitate him rather than an homage or something.

The reviews are all over the board for this one and I think it either hits you emotionally or it doesn’t, and it didn’t for me so it was pretty disappointing. I wish it did work for me though :/

imthesheriff likes this.