Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ad Astra (James Gray, September 20, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Very disappointed with this. It looked beautiful and there was pretty good acting but the story and resolution was white bread.

imthesheriff likes this.
  2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Brad Pitt is my boy. Probably my favorite actor and this was a slog. Slow movies are great but this was slow in a bad way.

3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I will say I loved the monkey surprise but that was the only unexpected thing. Everything else was boiler plate.

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This movie wishes it was Sunshine but it’s nowhere close.

5. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

That’s all I can think about, like is there something I need to know about the state of the universe from that scene

6. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

God I love Sunshine.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

IMAX tickets booked for tonight. I'm really looking forward to it.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Hmmm, seems like a movie that doesn't fall in the middle for most people; you either like it a great deal, or are pretty disappointed with it.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This movie 100% works and 100% doesn’t somehow at the same time.

I’m enamored and my best friend thinks it’s the worst thing she’s seen since Jupiter Ascending.

10. drewinseries

Drew

I thought this was fantastic. Beautifullly shot. Loved the interpretation of near future.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I wonder why there's such a divergence of opinion, how the gap is so wide.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  12. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Seems like you feel nothing about the story or absolutely everything, I unfortunately felt nothing

13. Garrett

Audience score for this is 40% lower than critic score on RT right now. Doesn't really surprise me, though. The more I think about the movie, the worse it gets.

Not to mention Brad should've been burnt alive when the rockets ignited on Mars.

I Am Mick and Mrplum5089 like this.
  14. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

It’s definitely not a mass market blockbuster like it was marketed as

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it’s because it’s not a daring film. It’s so middle of the road, as far as the story and themes go, that it’s harmless and some people can be into that and others are bored and frustrated by it.

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah they didn't really show him actually opening the hatches and climbing in; all of a sudden essentially he was just in the rocket, no harm

17. Garrett

It's visually quite great and visually develops it's themes. It then just bashes you over the head with them in the voiceovers, too. It works for me, I think, because of my brand of daddy issues and how this film works in that same space.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The more I think about it the more my “meh” is turning into hating it. There were periods where I wanted to walk out of the theater, that rocket part being the main one, but I wanted to see their reunion near Neptune. But then that turned out to be a wet noodle.

I haven’t seen anything else by Gray before and this makes me not want to either.

19. Garrett

The image of them tethered together floating outside of the ship in front of Neptune deserved a better ten minutes around it. It's a truly stunning visualization of the theme.

Part of me kinda wishes this would've played out like the last twenty minutes of Annihilation where the acting and music carried 97% of the load. Brad and Tommy have the acting ability for it.

coleslawed, Zilla and Mrplum5089 like this.
  20. kbeef2 Sep 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2019)
    kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

The space baboon is maybe the most I’ve been caught off guard by a movie in awhile

Anyways I think if I hated my dad this might be my favorite movie of all time

aoftbsten, coleslawed and Mrplum5089 like this.
  21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

people whose opinion i trust have regarded this pretty highly, still pretty excited to see it this weekend. aggregate score sites are meaningless.

Zilla likes this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

Roy def climbs into a hatch while climbing up to the rocket. Not sure if it leads into the rocket or whatever. Either way it never once registered to me as a big deal although I'm sure plenty of people will wave it around as a massive plot hole or something.
    The whole Mars section was fantastic. Incredible production design throughout but especially here.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. I liked this, at times quite a bit, but it was also very heavy-handed (especially in some of its emotional moments) to the point that I rolled my eyes a number of times. Lots of telling as opposed to showing. Great performances and visuals, though.

24. Lucas27

Trusted

This was great. I didn’t expect to get so many Tree of Life vibes (even aside from it being about Brad Pitt and daddy issues).

coleslawed likes this.
  25. flask

Trusted Supporter

There were also times where the narration sucked and he would say something that we literally just saw but other times it was genuinely introspective and good.

Aaron Mook likes this.