Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Actor Spotlight: Anne Hathaway

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

2. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I enjoyed her version of Catwoman.

3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Never been a huge fan of hers.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Rachel Getting Married is A++ and anyone who isn't in on Anne Hathaway should see it. Jonathan Demme owns. She's great in Brokeback Mountain, too.

Colossal was very fun. Ocean's Eight is an almost decent movie that she understands well. She's a great actress, I wish she had more projects up to the Rachel Getting Married/Brokeback level, her other big works with acclaimed auteurs are unfortunately Tom Hooper, who, you know, and Christopher Nolan, who writes female characters worse than some intro to screenwriting students I've seen.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Her episode of Modern Love really turned me into a fan.

Devil Wears Prada is great.

SpyKi, beachdude and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah it’s Rachel getting married for me but shouts to colossal and love & other drugs

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

This is a case of an actor choosing very bad roles. As others have mentioned, Rachel Getting Married was great, but the pursuit for awards has left her with a lot of forgettable material.

CarpetElf likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Devil Wears Prada and Princess Diaries duh

9. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Her performance at the Academy Awards takes the cake for me

10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

@Henry small edit, but it’s Hathaway

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Actually just watched The Princess Diaries again with my fiancee this week when she wasn't feeling well and was struck by how much star power she had right out of the gate.

13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

She was a great host on SNL. Totally down for anything and lots of energy.

14. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I fcking love Anne Hathaway.

I honestly don't really think this is true. Since 2008, there's really only one of her roles that I'd call an Oscar play, and she won the Oscar for that role. Since then she's basically made some pretty interesting choices that have worked to varying degrees -- doing weird stuff or working with auteurs. The things that didn't work, I wouldn't say they were bad choices on the face of it. We're talking about Lone Scherfig, Christopher Nolan, Todd Haynes(!), Robert Zemeckis, a Joan Didion adaptation, Ocean's 8. These are not inherently poor choices and a lot of them are actually actively very good choices.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  15. phaynes12

idk what you call les mis, dark water and last thing he wanted other than plays for oscars. all three were awful choices, one got her what she very clearly wanted, which is to say, an oscar.

16. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Last Thing He Wanted is a thriller released in February. I’d ask you to name me other movies with those attributes that get Oscar noms but you can’t so it’s not worth asking.

Dark Water is really good.

17. phaynes12

directed by dee rees who was nominated for her previous film, adapted from a book by fucking joan didion, stacked with a loaded cast and sent to premiere at sundance. it was released in february because it was a turkey, not because it wasn’t oscar-bait.

i also like dark water. but everything about that movie, and especially her performance, is indicative of everything that people like @Morrissey always complain about this time of year regarding movies.

18. phaynes12

lol i googled “the last thing he wanted review” and the first thing that came up was a review coming out of sundance, 13 months before the movie was released, calling it an awards season cast-off. which is exactly what it was.

19. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Even if a Todd Haynes movie is Oscar caliber, it's a damn smart move to join the cast. Don't know how anyone can call that an awful choice. Les Mis is the one that I already called an Oscar play (although she's such a musical theater kid that it's just as hard to say whether she chose it as an Oscar play or if she would have done it anyway) and Last Thing He Wanted probably qualifies as well, but I still don't think that would place her very close to "always doing Oscar bait to the detriment of her career" territory.