Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

ACLU Defending Blogger From Defamation Claim by Taylor Swift

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The ACLU is defending a blogger from a defamation claim by Taylor Swift. From today’s press release:

On Sep. 5, PopFront editor Meghan Herning wrote a post titled “Swiftly to the alt-right: Taylor subtly gets the lower case kkk in formation.” The post is a mix of political speech and critical commentary, and discusses the resurgence of white supremacy and the fact that some white supremacists have embraced Swift. It also provides a critical interpretation of some of Swift’s music, lyrics, and videos. The post ends by calling on Swift to personally denounce white supremacy, saying “silence in the face of injustice means support for the oppressor.”

On Oct. 25, Herning received an intimidating letter from Swift and her attorney labeling the blog post as defamatory and demanding that she issue a retraction, remove the story from all media sources, and cease and desist. The letter threatened a lawsuit.

Seems like a lot of money to pay lawyers instead of just saying “white supremacy is really fucking bad.”

2. kait_whiteside

This.

3. _unproductive

Regular

ssssssssnake

Turkeylegz likes this.
  4. _unproductive

Regular

she's not going to say anything before her album release cuz she won't alienate (even the shittiest racist portion of) her fan base throwing money at her

Turkeylegz likes this.
  5. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Honestly, the fact that she refuses to condemn Trump (and ditto for a lot of the other big pop superstars) in order not alienate anyone speaks a lot about her priorities. This is a brand, not an artist/singer.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  6. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

TIL Venable doesn't understand:

- Protected opinion;
    - Defamation per se;
    - The Streisand Effect; or
    - The Copyright Act.

Money well spent, T-Swizzle.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I wish Taylor would denounce them. I even get not wanting to get political about Trump even if I wish she would, but I feel like it's not that controversial to denounce Nazis. And if u lose that Nazi money I meeean.... She has enough money for 10 lifetimes and I wouldn't want their coins anyway. I wonder if in her head she doesn't want to give it the attention of acknowledging it? But I guess she has now anyway.

But tbh I think she's screwed. She can denounce them which would be cool but it would feel like it was too late. Taylor is hyper aware of her image and how she's perceived so the fact that she's probably known how her image is being used for a while and hasn't said anything in this long... Idk sis

Shakriel, Essie, AshlandATeam and 3 others like this.
  8. errolstafford

Oh now, someone on this site says something about Taylor Swift.
    After all the dumb shit she's been a part of over the last few months leading up to her album...

9. FTank, Essie and Aaron Mook like this.
  10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Being that the majority of diehard Swift fans I know are unashamed 'white feminist' types, the fact that she has a huge following among the alt-right and other such reactionary groups is far from surprising and pretty expected.

mercury likes this.