Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ace Enders Talks a Little About Shelved Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 7, 2017.

1. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I'd say there's no way that Green Day story is real. You think that if someone stole a Green Day album, it would go unheard for more than a decade? Convenient excuse for scrapping a bunch of songs and starting over.

2. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Holy crap I forgot about that one.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

It's completely true

4. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I've never understood this either. I can see how it would have made sense back in the day, but now with digital outlets and such? Just put it out there, rather than let it sit...

That "lost" Green Day album will forever top mine.

Just want to put it out there that this would be a really interesting podcast topic! Not only albums that get shelved, but bands who wind up going broke/fucked trying to record (and re-record and re-record and re-reco--you get it) until the label hears a "hit." Or what goes into trying to get a hit out of a band who doesn't really write them perse (e.g., that "horn-free" mix of that one Less Than Jake song, H2O releasing a hidden track cover song as a single).

The whole thing fascinates me. Label politics and how they impact bands and the overall album sound.

5. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I know The Starting Line didn't shelve an album but the labels were persistent on them sounding like the new NFG at the time and made them re-write a bunch of music.

6. schackbr

Regular

with all this being said, it'd be really awesome to hear this album

7. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

That's basically how we got "Based On A True Story", yeah? I remember hearing the demo version of stuff for that record that leaked early - "Surprise, Surprise" had a totally different verse/bridge.

8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Surprise, Surprise is so good. The Starting Line in general were so good.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  9. schackbr

Regular

that happens all the time in the song writing process though. i'd say more times than not a "demo" or early recording is not exactly what ends up on the record.

if you have time listen to the "louder now" demos for TBS. those songs are almost entirely different.

10. caseyaylward

Where are these? YouTube?

11. schackbr

Regular

there's two diff versions of 20/20 surgery and some others.

one of the more notable things is the "murder oh murder where have you been" from error operator is in this twenty-twenty surgery demo below:

12. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Whatever happened to that demo song "Follow The Format" that was released around the WYWTB?

Mr. Serotonin likes this.