Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ace Enders Talks a Little About Shelved Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ace Enders posted a photo on Instagram yesterday talking about the only album he recorded that got shelved. Let me add this to my ongoing list of albums I wish would see the light of day that labels have sat on.

Boring photo.. but in that building with the super heroes on it is where i recorded my only album to ever be shelved. I put so much time work and money into it., it was supposed to be the one. Glad it happened but Weird emotions happening

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

What is the logic behind shelving a record at all in this day & age? You've paid for the studio time, for the engineering... just throw it up on iTunes/bandcamp and if you make $200 off of it, that's $200 more than it's going to get you lost on a hard drive somewhere.

Colby Searcy and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Mannnn, I would love to hear this.

4. Mr. Serotonin

I have no idea, but i'm glad this post made me remember this:

SPine and electro haikus like this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Million Different People followup that never came out, guessing that Vagrant and Ace disagreed on whatever, and they didn't want to release it but still own the rights to the music.

Just spitballing

IATAvalanche and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

could also be "i can make a mess with friends"

7. irthesteve

ahhh yeah i totally forgot about that one

8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

ace had so much around that period that never came out, there was a 7" that was supposed to be a thing, extra tracks on dusting off the old guitar, that whole internship program thing...dude tried to do way too much

9. irthesteve

and of course Mess of the Month which never made it the full length it was supposed to

10. moura

Regular

There was a part of me that always wondered why he never followed up that record... it is perfect this time of year IMO.

11. campeondeluniverso

nah.

i remember reading about him shelving either on myspace or ap.net back then. i think he said it was too poppy or whatever. would still love to hear it. i'm sure it was A Million Different People stuff.

12. The Format

Regular

I need this album.

13. The Format

Regular

Forgot about this one. He's the best. I remember he had one called 'The Plate Song' that I cant find any more.

14. BleedingDodgerBlue

I was just thinking about this the other day when one of his songs came up on random. I think he thought it was too mainstream to release it. No time like the present to hear it, come on ACE!!

15. irthesteve

@Jason Tate you should see if Ace would do an AMA/chat on the site, i'm sure he's got some great stories to share....

16. BleedingDodgerBlue

What other albums are on your list?

17. This stuff is always a bummer to see. Luckily Ace is very prolific so there's not really a shortage of music from him.

Semi-related, still hurts me to know Swan Damage exists and will probably never see daylight

18. Mr. Serotonin

What was “Swan damage”?

19. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Head Automatica's unreleased third album, completed in 2009.

20. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Other things that fall into this category for me are Green Day's "Cigarettes & Valentines" (completed, but stolen from the studio before they wrote "American Idiot"), Zach de la Rocha's solo album he wrote with Trent Reznor, and whatever the hell the next +44 would have sounded like.

Colby Searcy and bradsonemanband like this.
  21. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Shelved albums sounds like an interesting podcast topic, @Jason Tate

bradsonemanband and moura like this.
  22. I'm trying to rack my brain if I've written about it or talked about them somewhere. Haha.

That Rock Kills Kid album is always on my list.

23. danielbass

Newbie Prestigious

Man i totally forgot about Rock Kills Kid

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Devin Domino

He talked about this when I saw him a few years ago in Austin. Basically said it was him and a bunch of studio musicians in the late 2000s (2007-08) he didn't really know or mesh with. The album turned out as something he didn't like or identify and actually wrote Body Like Mind about that experience

carrytheweird and trevorshmevor like this.
  25. schackbr

Regular

so it sounds like it was before the "million different people" project. because body like mind came out in 2008. probably would have been his first solo album post TEN.