Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. OhTheWater Nov 14, 2017
    (Last edited: May 28, 2020)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Similar to the thread in the Entertainment forum. Discuss allegation issues, ways to cope, promote/support artists making a positive difference.

I know a lot of us are struggling with the Jesse Lacey situation in terms with how to interact with the band's catalog. Obviously the most important think to keep in mind would be the victims of abuse, their wishes and safety. I think we can all respectfully work through our feelings on the matter without insults or the toxic nature that took over some threads on AP.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

can we get a running list going on that first post?

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

That's fine, idk if I'd be up for keeping it updated but I can link to a running document if someone wants to create one. Or someone willing can create the OP for this thread, haha. We just talked about making it yesterday and I figured I would.

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

google docs makes the most sense.

I wouldn't be the best person to start one bc I don't know the names of a lot of people and what not.. but that should work and just allow everyone here to edit.. I trust most of the community.. if we suspect foul play we will deal with it.

OhTheWater likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

I don’t think a running list is necessarily the best idea honestly, I think this should focus more on ways to be accountable and how to improve music rather than just a negative pile of allegations

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I understand the need of a running list for people to boycott/speak out against but I don't want the entire thread to be a running list. So I think a google doc would work for those who are interested.

cwhit likes this.
  7. Firefly

emotional motion sickness

maryp1603 and OhTheWater like this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yea I think this is good, just to help people keep track of everything.

9. Firefly

Cool. Y'all should be able to edit it so feel free to add people, or even just mention names and I can put the info in :)

10. lightning

We came as Romans, neck deep, pwr bttm, new found glory (Steve right? He left didn't he?), front porch step.

Sorry, I'm on mobile and don't have links right now, just wanted to mention names that I'm remembering over the past two years. I hate that I'm thinking of a list for something like this in the first place. Just want to help and make sure people are aware. :|

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Firefly like this.
  11. cwhit

matt montadile from ducktails/ex real estate: Matt Mondanile Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Multiple Women | Pitchfork

the gaslamp killer: The Gaslamp Killer Accused of Rape | Pitchfork

xxxtentacion: XXXTentacion’s Alleged Domestic Abuse Detailed in Graphic Testimony

kodak black: Kodak Black Indicted on Sexual Assault Charges

mac demarco filmed his friend masturbating in front of a bunch of kids, main article was taken down: Mac Demarco films his friend masturbating at a party in front of minors, r/indieheads proceeds to explain why he did nothing wrong • r/circlebroke

moose blood members still in the band: Moose Blood kick Glenn (their drummer) out of the band in response to the sexual harassment allegations against him from fans • r/poppunkers

lou diamond of jank/panucci's pizza/fail better, heal faster: The Truth About Lou Diamond - Why You Should Not Support "Fail Better, Heal Faster" • r/Emo

of course we know the harry corrigan (now in some hardcore band i can't remember) and JJR (still in the band keep flying and tour managing a bunch of bands) thing as well

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

They kicked him out yeah

13. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I posted this in the BN-SF thread yesterday, and I don't know if this is the right place for this, it's not really about music, but I thought this piece from the Ringer was interesting and thoughtful. It's related to separating the art from the artist and discusses the "erasure" of art created by harassers and abusers.

On Bad Men and Unseen Art

My favorite passage –

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Ken like this.
  14. Firefly

Just looking into Neck Deep - apparently police found there was no case to answer. So should they be taken off the list?

15. cwhit

nope, fuck that, don't care what police have to say in situations like this

16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Subbing. Good thread.

17. cwhit

18. lightning

19. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Love this.

20. cwhit

21. cwhit

some of these names not being lead singers brings up an interesting topic as well when it comes to consumption of the music. assuming members handle things the right way and it's just one member that isn't the main lyric writer/vocalist and not the whole band, i feel like i could listen to the band going forward.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

I am on mobile so I can’t look much up but Don Bronco looks to have some allegations to the point that they’ve tweeted about it:

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Same, I would listen to Real Estate after they got rid of Matt for instance, holding people accountable for having awful friends seems unfair as long as they don't cover up for them

24. mentalgellar

Gnarwolves have just released a statement about allegations. Didn't even know there were any against them.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  25. cwhit

this is pretty much all we ask for assuming it's not a trend of continuous abuse. mistakes happen, this seems to be the best way to handle incidents that people didn't recognize at the time were so harmful