Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. heroinman

Burnout

I have little sympathy for people who have "made it" who can't avoid abusing their influence. There's a million talented people waiting in line for you to step out of the spotlight. Fuck 'em.

incognitojones, Mary V and skogsraet like this.
  2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Surprised that the amount of bands being called out has slowed down actually. I'm heard rumours of things about so many bands, but it seems a large amount of them are simply getting away with it.

3. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I think we were getting swamped and it was becoming exhausting. It's hard to remain constantly enraged. Also, with how little relevance the scene actually has in music the stories don't get picked up.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

a local venue/arts collective issued this statement. http://www.lemondo.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Le-Mondo-Statement-11-17.pdf

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

from what i posted in the pinegrove thread:

this is one of the cases where i think rehabilitation is fine to bring a person back into touring life, at least based on the post it seems like he's reexamined things in his life that he now knows he's done wrong and it wasn't something that was a continuous knowledge of abuse, it's about rediscovering yourself and making the changes needed to be good. definitely something needed to be done and i'm happy he's doing this the right way

curious to see what other people think, especially the women here

Saephon likes this.
  7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Yeah this feels like a good statement, especially since he came clean before the allegations were made public (if I'm wrong about that please let me know). But my opinion could be being clouded by my huge appreciation for this band so I'm just gonna sit back and listen for a bit.

8. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I don’t honestly think I know what, or how, to think anymore.

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is a good statement. Seems like the relationship stuff is kind of an issue of ignorance and communication. The other stuff is kind of grim and it's good that he recognises that.

10. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

the more i’m coming back to the statements about behavior on tour the more this is really grossing me the fuck out. god dammit.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

His thoughts about the crowd are pretty weird and predatory. I don't really understand the dynamics at play between him/the victim that he spoke about earlier in the post so I'm unsure if this was a "good" apology or not. He's being accused of sexual coercion which is a lot different than simply being enthusiastic about a relationship.

tshreve likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It certainly raises a lot of points regarding the artist/fan dynamic in regards to intimacy, flirtation and sex.

13. primavera

i haven’t seen any of the actual allegations. has anyone seen this?

SamLevi11 likes this.
  14. jjnunn118

The more I'm thinking about it the more my cynical side is coming into play. Why is he putting this statement out now? Were these allegations about to come to light and he's trying to get ahead of the story?

This does read like a very good statement, but this is only his side of the situation. It's easy to skew the reaction positive when you're controlling the narrative.

15. primavera

people on twitter saying this is a lot deeper than how evan presented it

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Oh no.

17. ncarrab Nov 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 21, 2017)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

If every band member of every band has to come out and make a statement about sleeping with fans, this will NEVER. EVER. end. There must be something much deeper than what he's letting on.

And as someone already pointed out, the fact that Evan made/acted on the statement that he can tell who would sleep with him based on their reaction to his performance is fucking weird and creepy.

EDIT: The above comments are based on the second half of his message. I'm honestly confused as to what he's talking about in the first half of his comments (the sexual cohesion - the he thought was a normal relationship?) Again, seems like something much deeper.

18. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah I definitely thought I wasn’t reading into it enough, but he just described it as starting a relationship with someone who was apprehensive at first? Just strange

19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

heroinman and mercury like this.
  20. cherrywaves

Trusted

So either he isn’t being up front about what really happened, or this is some sort of preemptive strike toward his character?

21. Saephon

Regular

I feel like I don't know nearly enough about the Evan situation to begin to form an opinion. What are the/where are the original allegations? Were any made at all yet?

OotyPa likes this.
  22. jjnunn118

There are no allegations made publicly yet

23. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Didn't a story come out about how Bieber had "consent contracts" and a lot of folks made fun of him? I'm not sure what the actual language of those contracts were, but perhaps it actually was kind of smart. At least it could potentially give a fan an opportunity to pause and make sure they wanted to follow through with something, rather than feel swept up in it. There is one level of an emotional power imbalance that one has with an artist that they're a fan of, and a second imbalance centered around one person who is a public figure, or even famous, and one who is not.

Matt Chylak and AshlandATeam like this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I think this leads into another conversation about statements in general. Apologies if people spoke about this already, I'm just getting done work.

What is the purpose of the abuser coming forward first? Is it a genuine attempt to right a wrong? Is it a way to take control of the narrative before the victim can speak? Should victims be allowed the first voice in a situation like this? What if they don't want to come forward?

Mary V likes this.