Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 486

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I still think that they're hyping up a YFW re-release and just playing coy. I really hope that's all it is.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Imagine playing coy about the child predator band. That record label is disgusting.

Orla, phaynes12, sonder and 6 others like this.
  3. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

Well, this surely wasn’t on my 2020 bingo card...

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

at this point everything should be on that bingo card.

5. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

i posted something and they must have hidden it because i can see it but others cant

sonder likes this.
  6. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

ItsAndrew, sonder, GrantCloud and 4 others like this.
  7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

No way they do anything, even a repress, without addressing stuff, right? Like, SOME sort of statement would have to be put out by the band as a whole, no?

Well, definitely if there was a tour/new music, i cant imagine that happening without a statement. Maybe a label just doing a repress won't elicit that.

But the way they went out with jesse doing the half-assed apology and the band not doing some form of statement to address things or, at the very least, put a stop to the attacks that were happening on the victims and accusors, was....not great. They'd have to address it in some way. (Well, they don't, but you know what I mean)

stars143 likes this.
  8. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Anthony_ and RJ Knorr like this.
  9. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

If there's one thing we know record labels love to do, its profiting off of abusers.

ItsAndrew, phaynes12, mad and 4 others like this.
  10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i would honestly be very surprised if they were staging a comeback. i think we're looking too far into this and getting ourselves worked up in the process. no benefit comes from reading comments on social media by people who still very clearly love this band.

Orla, mad, aliens exist and 5 others like this.
  11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyway, it seems relatively obvious given what we know that 1. There was a band fall out over this that basically was the main cause for the reason why this band didn't put out new musicc for 9 years or whatever it was, and 2. THere was a lotttttttttttttt of therpy indivdually on lacey's part and, from what has been said at live shows and in song lyrics and such, some sort of group therapy as well.

I get that the band wants their privacy and all that, but, no. If you still want to be public figures after what happened, then you're going to have to explain, in detail, what got you to the point where you were okay to be around this man again, what you knew and didn't know and what you did do and, more importantly, chose not to do. And then you need to atone for your complete lack of just 'being there' for the victims when they were being harassed and attacked on social media when the story came out and you just...let it happen. Didn't attempt to even just say "leave them alone, they deserve to be heard and not attacked." You need to put detailed statements out on what we need to do for sexual abuse victims, what YOU are willing to do as a band, what charities and programs you are donating your time and money to and how you're using your standing in the "scene" (and, frankly, as a band that at this point is considered one of the all time greats and thus you have a lot of fucking clout) to STOP this shit from happening in the future when the 5th wave or whatever of emo screamo post hardcore pop punk etc. bands are coming up and idolozing your music. What are you going to do to take these young adult/early 20s shitheads aside and teach them what their parents and society never did about how you treat women? etc etc etc.

Then, and only then, can you maybe do your damn tour or your album or whatever. And proceeds from that should be going somewhere useful for abuse victims. ANd yeah plenty of people should rightully choose not to support you financially even after all of that.

AndrewSoup and stars143 like this.
  12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Aregala, Zilla and chewbacca110 like this.
  13. Anthony_

There's no coming back from being a child predator. There is nothing anyone in the world could do to come back from that. Sorry but there's a line and that's the line.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

On my end, they hid it. I don’t see it. But yeah, this sucks. Few fanbases are less deserving of a comeback than Brand New’s.

dylan likes this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I honestly didn’t know the fan base attacked the survivors that’s even more fucked.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The Brand New Reddit is a cesspool that no one should visit.

17. Anthony_

and yet, there were/are more than one user on this site who continue to frequent that subreddit to this day

18. stars143

Trusted

Any sufficiently large fan base is bound to have some shitty people in it. It's still mind-blowing to me that they had a #1 self-released album right before that all went down.

Also... re: that Iodine Records playlist with one brand new song in it. They have seven playlists for their different bands as well. So again.. don't read too much into it.

19. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Definitely seems like they are doing *something* with Brand New. These comments are from this video which is in a playlist titled "BRAND NEW" with the only other video in the playlist a Brand New Song.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

when the allegations first dropped, a lot of “she’s lying for attention” and “why bring it up now and not 15 years ago” aka the standard bullshit that abuse victims go through. That continued in the Facebook comment sections of Jesse Lacey’s “apology” and people started digging through her internet history to see that she went to BN shows and took pictures and commented on their stuff and etc over the years and write stuff on her blogs and whatever else about liking BN music and such, so obviously that means it either didn’t happen or it wasn’t as big a deal as she was making it out to be, just trying to hurt the band, etc.

It got pretty ugly for a while from what I remember.

21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

pre-order def sounds like a repressing. Or maybe they went back and re recorded some songs or something.

YFW came out in 2000 right? 20 year anniversary or something I’m sure.

22. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I can no longer see it. Fucking cowards

23. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

2020 going to 2020. I hope this ain’t real, I really do. But I wouldn’t put anything past this year.

24. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Also feels weird to see people from other bands in the scene liking Jesse wife’s previous photos that include them together

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. and unfortunately there are enough people who don't give a shit who will support that and give them that pay day

it's fucking gross

Orla, ItsAndrew, Aregala and 2 others like this.