Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 392

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

There’s also the issue that “Say So” ripped off this song and when the artist called Dr. Luke, a known thief out, he created a sock puppet account and harassed him.

The whole thing sucks.

Petit nain des Îles and Carrow like this.
  2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Homophobic stuff is bad but not surprising going back 5 years, she just had the most tone deaf response to address it.

Her Dr. Luke stuff is very much present day and a huge disappointment.

3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

This is my exact response. I’m disappointed tho bc I do like her music a lot

edited to add: I also think it’s worth saying that I don’t think it’s my lane as a white person to “cancel” a woman of color. Obviously that logic only extends to a certain point (ie r kelly etc) but still worth expressing my opinion I guess. I am disappointed but I also don’t jump to condemning /““canceling””

4. supernovagirl

I’m not sure you know what the word racist means, so, no

Carrow likes this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I’m not necessarily saying she should be canceled. But Dr. Luke seems to be purposefully hiding behind women of color (Doja) and trans women (Kim Petras), as well as multiple names (Tyson Trax and Made In China) to shield himself from criticism.

I can’t count the number of people who don’t want to bring up that all of Kim Petra’s songs are Dr. Luke songs because, hey, representation. So it seems like it was inevitable he’d finally get a hit with someone, sadly.

6. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

It super breaks my heart to have the dr. Luke argument with trans friends who really look up to kim petras. He really does hide behind these artists and it works.

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I think I read something about how like no I producers would work with Kim because she’s trans and that’s why she’s with Dr. Luke? I could be misremembering tho

8. From what I've read, Luke signed Doja when she was 17 then did nothing with her for years. It's only when she started getting success post-Amala that he suddenly changed his mind and wrote/produced songs for her newest album. Dude's such a scummy opportunist.

9. I see many Kim stans state this on twitter, but that's been debunked by her own collaborator Aaron Joseph. She works with Luke because she wants to and appreciates him at this point.

I can't find the specific tweets from Aaron, but there's this

mad likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Anyone that works with Dr. Luke post-everything with Kesha coming out gets a big yikes from me, personally.

11. supernovagirl

Ugh that’s so gross. And like why is he allowed to do that!!! Why are the women he’s working with getting the brunt of the criticism when there are many people who are helping this happen? It’s all wild to me.
    Yeah it’s a yikes from me too
    And I know no one in here has advocated for her complete cancellation or something but sometimes comments seem to allude to the conclusion “so you shouldn’t listen to her” (or Kim petras apparently? But I honestly don’t know who that is so)

I am just endlessly frustrated that, yet again, the onus of not supporting abusers falls on us the audience, people who are just hungry for music by women, POC, trans artists etc. I believe it is a hellscape world for it to fall on listeners to have to look up the producers, writers, mixers, managers (the list goes on and on) and make sure none of them are known predators. (the key word is known because for some reason we’re all out here acting like it ain’t pretty much all of them but I digress.) It’s so fucking infuriating that it’s on us to do that instead of the music industry collectively kicking him out at the first sign of abuse. This broken system continues to make everything worse.

12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

14. cherrywaves

Trusted

Oh wow had no clue she was in Fifth Harmony

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I wouldn't say that's necessarily appropriate for in here but he seems like a doofus I guess lol. More problematic is that of 95 people that he follows, JJR is one.

sonder, Slangster, Carrow and 3 others like this.
  16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Lol I used to live in Saskatoon

upload_2020-3-2_12-6-44.gif

17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I get your point but on the other hand, I’m not going to assume that people in the US have knowledge of Canadian geography and I don’t really think it’s necessary to chastise someone for not knowing.

18. cherrywaves

Trusted

Seems like a misuse of the thread. Like who really cares lol

19. moore182

Member Since August 2003

[​IMG]

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

it’s annoying when Americans don’t know basic facts about Canada, but unless you’re from saskatoon you’ve likely never had a reason to even think about that place.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. atlas

Trusted

I only know about Saskatoon bc one time Dallas Green sang "I've been through the Rockies, I've seen Saskatoon"

22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

dumb post is dumb. that's really all.

GrantCloud, RyanPm40 and DrawYourMind like this.
  23. soundclash

Regular

I only know as much Canadian geography as I do because I watch a lot of hockey and Letterkenny. I wouldn’t expect a Canadian to know the capital of, like, Nebraska or anything.

24. atlas

Trusted

coincidentally Dallas Green also talks shit about the capital of Nebraska in that song!

Orla, sonder, CarpetElf and 2 others like this.
  25. soundclash

Regular

*I’ve Been Everywhere plays softly in the background*

Carrow likes this.