Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 390

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

anyway! I think this is where the actual serious discussion left off

jorbjorb, sonder, Ken and 7 others like this.
  2. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

[​IMG]

bachna84, jorbjorb, Ken and 1 other person like this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

jorbjorb, solxace, Ken and 2 others like this.
  4. poormarcowhy

“serious discussion” 1975 said “pinegrove” in a song and spoke of them in a negative light . Jesus Christ

5. oncenowagain

You quoted yourself as being one of the last posts in which quality discussion was being had. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to use this gif

it’s all in jest

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Wow do you like tool

7. oncenowagain

Whether or not you care about it (or that it is or isn’t an issue for you) is one thing.

Reducing the discussion to those simple terms is tone deaf as fuck.

8. poormarcowhy

Says a lot that you opt to bully someone who’s probably in agreement with you

9. poormarcowhy

It’s more so, that being of the utmost importance of things you could address today/now

10. Me: hey it’s bad that The 1975 are using racist dogwhistles in their music video for their song that name drops Pinegrove and belittles ESH’s survivor’s accusation as “weird stuff”

fuckers in this thread: actually you’re doing the same thing they did because you’re posting about it. Have you considered that. What’s your religion

11. oncenowagain

This is an absolute shit argument. I can care about multiple things at once. So can just about anyone else in here.

12. poormarcowhy

Of course you can, not arguing that. At the end of the day, you have 24 hrs and you put your time/energy into what’s important to you. I’d argue this song doesn’t mean shit at the end of the day

Paddy likes this.
  13. oncenowagain

So to you, you don’t think it’s worth arguing about the song in your day. But it is worth arguing with other people about whether or not it’s worth arguing about.

[​IMG]

14. poormarcowhy

I believe in the point of the thread, like anything I think people take a good thing and do not good things with it sometimes

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I don't think PG can be discussed in any way other than clumsy. I feel the line was meant to solely express that, not as much any kind of "Pinegrove is good" or "Pinegrove is bad" kind of judgment. I agree the instagram stuff complicates that a bit though.

If I had to guess I would say Matty is drawn to the topic since it's another strange side effect of internet culture, where the media, fans, twitter, other artists, and the band themselves, are all sending different signals and it's hard to follow and know if you're supporting the right thing anymore.

karcrashianpanache and Paddy like this.
  16. You know what, in a world where a man brutally murders his wife and three children and the media’s first response is to call him a “good bloke” who “showered his kids in love,” The 1975, arguably one of the biggest bands in the world, can’t get away with whittling sexual coercion down to “weird stuff.” At best, it’s flippant and short-sighted. At worst, it’s dangerous and continues to flip the narrative around to make us feel sympathy for abusers rather than survivors. Messages like this don’t exist in a vacuum. Matty can and should do better.

17. poormarcowhy

But please don’t make it sound like abusers are only male. I was raped by a woman/drugged and stolen from by a different woman... It happens to us too

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Forgive me who are you referring to in the first part?

19. Recent Australian news story:
    Outcry after family of ex-rugby player die in fire

I am so sorry that happened to you. I also apologise for coming across that way, that wasn’t my intention. Please feel free to reach out to me any time. I only meant to say that simplifying sexual assault of any kind to “weird stuff” is incredibly dangerous and ignores real-world implications. Even worse coming from a person of Marty’s stature.

20. McClenaghan

Lurker Supporter

It's definitely flippant and honestly just an unnecessary reference to make. I don't think it's been intended as a positive reference but again, the flippancy of shrugging it off as 'weirdness' without realising how it reduces the seriousness of what happened is disappointing.

I get people's takes that it's probably intended as another means of referencing online culture, along with the shitty alt-right mascots in the video, and I don't doubt that their intention was to be critical of these things rather than promote them. I just think Pinegrove are way too problematic to include in lyrics that are already pretty scattershot and unclear and to include those images in a video that doesn't have a particularly clear message.

21. poormarcowhy

I agree with that. Sorry for reading it how I did. Know it wasn’t your intention. Thanks for being sensitive/understanding

yocoxy likes this.
  22. atlas

Trusted

[​IMG]

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Ohhh boy

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’m not here to dispute anything Yvette said. Except she’s a liar.

25. atlas

Trusted

I will say if he actually is going through "extensive therapy" as he says, his therapist should have an absolute field day with that tire fire of a post

solxace and Cameron like this.