Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 388

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is extremely disappointing.

2. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the allegations were never called sexual assault by the alleged survivor, right?

CarpetElf and Carrow like this.
  3. socklord

Trusted

Yeah I was always under the impression that the situation was not "sexual assault"

CarpetElf and Carrow like this.
  4. The video also features the “moon man” meme at the end, which is pretty explicitly tied to white supremacist and alt-right groups online.

Moon Man

5. I misspoke, it was actually sexual coercion. Goes beyond 'weird stuff' though.

Mary V and supernovagirl like this.
  6. Not only this, but in the narrative of the song I read it as the "weird stuff" being a reference to everything that happened with that band and the online "stuff" surrounding how it came out and all that came next not a reference specifically to the act.

7. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

the video has several memes co-opted by the alt-right in it, I am guessing it is intentional, but I'm not sure why.

KidLightning likes this.
  8. From the press release:

For the official video, the band once again teamed up with director Ben Ditto and co-director / lead artist Jon Emmony, who worked together on their 2019 video “People.” A dystopian narrative about narcissism, isolation, incel culture and the divisions created by social media, the video questions if there is space for meaningful connections within technology.

“It was truly inspiring to work with The 1975 on this project, combining digital craft with true emotion and a subversive and multilayered narrative,” says Ditto. “Matty and I have a shared fascination with the underbelly of Internet culture and how that impacts modern life, and we looked to address this from several directions and created an engaging and beautiful piece of filmmaking to contain these messages and their performance in a revolutionary way.”

In the short film, lead singer Matty Healy visits Mindshower, a digital detox center, where he encounters a variety of characters – all taken from reddit / 4chan meme subculture – and his band mates. Working with artist Jon Emmony, Mimic Productions recreated The 1975 as digital humans, clad in simulated digital costumes. Detailed 3-D scans – includingscans of all mouth movements – were used to create avatars for each member. Body and facial motion capture were utilized to record their performance.

9. ECV Feb 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2020)
    Regardless of intent: a band full of white people filling a music video with memes with racist connotations without even interrogating them is a remarkably stupid decision at best. A band full of cis men releasing a song with a lyric referring to a different band’s sexual coercion accusations as “weird stuff” is remarkably ill-conceived. Matty says and does such stupid things so frequently that I don’t really have the patience for them anymore.

11. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

It's a fucking pop song from a pop band. The most visited lyrics (only) site already has links to the articles about the situation.

12. Some of the takes on the song seem to draw the conclusion that the band is actively promoting any of this alt right incel shit as if the video isn't clearly meant to satirize it

13. poormarcowhy

I don’t think some of the people on here realize they’re hurting their own cause.(If the problem with the world is always outside of yourself, you’re probably not reflecting enough on yourself/your own wrongdoings)

14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

My favorite thing about this conversation is that it’s happening in like 4 different threads

15. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

You just posted a link to the “moon man” meme, which is pretty explicitly tied to white supremacist and alt-right groups online.

16. supernovagirl

Wow you sure got him there

17. poormarcowhy

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I just don’t necessarily think the convo has to jump to “why is everyone trying to CANCEL a POP BAND”, ya know? Nothing got beyond “this is gross” or distasteful or not handled well, and there are multiple threads already shitting on the response in here, lol.

Matty has a history of saying/doing problematic things and putting his foot in his mouth. If that’s enough for you to stop supporting them or to call them out or if these lyrics/the video make you uneasy, that’s absolutely fine, talk about it

If you don’t get what’s problematic/don’t think there was anything wrong with the video, it’s a weird look to say that the accountability thread is at it again. No one is gathering pitchforks or staging protests, just voicing concern with someone who has said some dumb shit in the past

19. supernovagirl

RT

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. You’re right, I’m the same as the band

Anthony_, Ken and supernovagirl like this.
  21. Thank you for this

Ken likes this.
  22. poormarcowhy

The nitpickiness/pointing out of peoples missteps in here reminds me a lot of my experiences in organized religion. It gives me the same gross feeling. Who are the people commenting and what is their history?

TheoW593 likes this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

From where I'm at, I do think it's suspect that Matty was promoting PG on his instagram a few weeks ago and now there's that line in the song. I don't know exactly what he's going for. I've described the Pinegrove situation as "weird" before and meant the coverage/the other allegations and the fact that nothing has really been done about it, not the actual sexual coercion. Again, I just think it's a clumsy line.

The video itself I kinda get what it's going for? But it's still, again, clumsy and I don't necessarily know what point they're trying to make by using a bunch of memes that have been co-opted by the alt right. As someone said before, an all white all cis band doing that is a strange look.

Maybe they'll speak on it more and clear things up? Idk.

24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Ah yes, "What if the Accountability thread itself is the problem?", this is my favorite Chorus meme

25. poormarcowhy

*anthony deflects*

TheoW593 likes this.