Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 378

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I'll preface this by saying I don't listen to Hovvdy, so I don't have any personal stake in this, but I truly don't know how to handle a situation like this where 99% of people think the situation was resolved to the satisfaction of the survivor. It's like The Menzingers taking Culture Abuse on tour, there's no way they knew about the (unfortunately) obscure tweets calling that band out, we only know because this site is crowd-sourced news and someone happened to come across the tweets and post them. It sucks but I guess the most we can do is try to pass along word to these artists and hope they see it/react appropriately.

ItsAndrew likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I mean there's nothing to do but PM them and see if they'll respond. I'm not calling for a boycott or anything, lol. Just posting that a band that a lot of people on here, including myself, enjoy is touring with a problematic band. It sucks

3. EarthShifts

Trusted

Hovvdy toured with them back in the spring of 2017 too so I imagine they are fully aware of everything that went down.

4. username

hey you lil piss baby

Considering the fact that the information that is most pertinent has been isolated to this forum, I don’t know if this is a fair assessment.

Also, I think this all came out after spring 2017?

ChiliTacos and Saephon like this.
  5. drewinseries

Drew

How do people feel about Half Waif then? She's married to the drummer of Pinegrove. I feel like a lot of the logic of calling out people by association to these things has missed her.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

She defended him prior to the puff piece, didn’t she?

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

November 2017

username likes this.
  8. EarthShifts

Trusted

The Evan stuff came out in the fall of 2017, and by that point a relationship between the two bands was definitely a thing. They had toured together and I think had some members fill in for each other on some shows, so I feel like they are most likely aware of the accusations.

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Idk, I feel like the excuse that people don’t know the Pinegrove situation outside of this forum holds a little less weight after that recent New Yorker piece.

“Hall’s accuser wants to distance herself from the band’s comeback. “At the end of the year,” she says, “I felt like, The year is up, do what you’re going to do, and I don’t want any part of it.” “

Yes, the part about there being other unnamed survivors is not public knowledge. But after this most recent statement from the KNOWN survivor I’m not sure how you can argue that the two came to an understanding or there was any resolution there.

OhTheWater likes this.
  10. Anthony_

there’s a lot of wiggle room for a manipulator like ESH to work with in that statement, especially the “the year is up, do what you’re going to do” part

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I was thinking that but then you get into the hypothetical of them not even reading the article. Idk, it's such a weird situation and the (one public) survivor kinda makes it clear that they don't want any part of the narrative to continue.

I feel weird PMing artists about the situation because that feels like going against the survivors wishes to not be a part of the situation

VanMastaIteHab and waking season like this.
  12. Really fucking disappointed in Hovvdy, especially because I was a big fan of their most recent record but if they want to throw their lot in with that predatory fuck and his band then I have no time for them.

13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this is just gonna keep happening so RIP to your favorite bands

FTank, Jonathan, Contender and 4 others like this.
  14. see, this is something I've been OK with for a while. there's always more music out there to be discovered and I've no time to waste on bands that either figuratively or literally support predators like ESH.

sonder, mercury, solxace and 2 others like this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol yeah I don't necessarily understand the intent of that post. Every time it happens, I'm going to post about it and it's going to suck. I'm not going to write off the artists entirely, but it certainly stings. Same with people working with JJR or any other abuser.

sonder, chris, incognitojones and 4 others like this.
  16. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Matt Skiba continues flirting with fascism. A recent poster promoting a solo show he's doing in March:

Thats the Totenkopf symbol Nazis love so much. FB_IMG_1580325262890.jpg

17. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

He was promoting Might Is Right on Instagram yesterday too.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

What the fuck

19. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Goddamn. I was on the fence about that BR/Alk3 tour. This is definitely compelling me to skip it.

20. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

This is a really tough one for me. I bought will call presale tickets early on, but I am losing all interest in actually going.

21. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

22. atlas

Trusted

Seems a bit odd for Bad Religion to be going on tour with a guy veering so dangerously close to straight up Nazism

GrantCloud, skogsraet and FTank like this.
  23. Anthony_

Skiba is definitely a "how far the mighty have fallen" story for me. Just a complete hard swerve into total trash territory.

24. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Have you seen the movie? Doesn't push an agenda at all. It's a fairly average movie and more so shows how crazy/nuts they were and quick brief of what happened. Doesn't paint them in good presence at all.

25. atlas

Trusted

holy fuck