Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 377

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

All you need is one look at the Brand New Reddit to see that, which I do not suggest.

incognitojones, Jonathan and Jacob like this.
  2. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

saw a tattoo artist post someone who just got a BN tattoo and I can not fathom that decision lol

Jonathan and Jacob like this.
  3. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

it's possible there are older fans who aren't aware of what happened. Like my older brother introduced me to them and I don't even know if he knows what happened, just having a wife and kids and a 9 - 5 he's not keeping up with any news like that. he wouldn't be getting them tattooed though lol.

Saephon, tyramail and Jonathan like this.
  4. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

people definitely double down like that though, i don't understand it.

incognitojones and Jonathan like this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

From what I've seen, they feel entitled to these artists and will blame anything else except them to make them feel better. It's toxic and gross.

Jonathan likes this.
  6. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Absolutely, although in the case of the women I'm referring to, they knew.

Jacob likes this.
  7. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I think anyone getting a tattoo has to know, they obviously keep up with the band. I’m thoroughly convinced I’ll never get a band tattoo cuz you never know what will come out or happen later on lol

Zilla and Jonathan like this.
  8. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I'm in the same boat, probably won't be getting any band tattoos.

9. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Garrett seems like a dope guy

10. BenSmith94

Trusted

The worst is the people who you talk about the Jesse Lacey stuff with and they give that sad "yeah, I knowwwww" grimace/response but then still continue listening to them? Like, you're ok with supporting him despite knowing full well what he did and admitting it was really bad?

Zilla and Jonathan like this.
  11. socklord

Trusted

It should be reiterated that people can listen to problematic artists all they want during their own time. I'm not here to stop anyone from doing that, nor can I. However, just because someone likes to listen to a problematic artist during their personal time does not mean that they need to show public support and affection towards those artists. Somebody showing public support for a problematic artist, like Brand New, is a separate problem from them just listening to them on their own time.

12. Omni

Regular

Listening to them in private isn't necessarily "supporting" them. If they're out here praising and promoting them though that's different and definitely not good.

13. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

That’s not necessarily true. Most people consume music in a vacuum, and don’t always feel the need to know the artist intimately, even if they love them. A few of my coworkers in their early 30s love brand new, and were completely shocked when I told them what happened, because they don’t keep up with whatever bands are doing outside of music.

Because these people associate the brand new situation with internet people yelling at them for listening to the band, and not the actual things that happened

Saephon likes this.
  14. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I have never seen a single person “yell” at a brand new fan without adding the context of Jesse being a child predator soooo the second half of your post seems incredibly inaccurate to me.

the sad truth is that tons of BN fans literally do not care because they think it’s fake or that Jesse did nothing wrong or that those girls “asked for it. That’s why they’re doubling down. Can we not excuse that With the mean internet straw man?

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Imagine thinking getting yelled at on the internet excuses doubling down on publicly supporting a predator

dylan, solxace and Carrow like this.
  16. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I just wish he wasn’t a Tim Lambesis supporter.

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Hobo Johnson was accused of sexual assault/rape a couple of years ago but the survivors statement was not made public. If you look back in this thread you can see the posts about it which were made in a Facebook group I am a member of. I am not sure if this incident below is the same but I'm inclined to believe they are different due to this being a few years later. The point is, not enough people know about the sexual assault/rape allegation because there was no public statement and the story came from a private group on Facebook. It's ultimately up to survivors how or when they want to tell their story but I hope Hobo Johnson receives consequences for his actions.

18. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

I’ve definitely seen that and know people who took it that way, so calling that inaccurate is very weird to me! It’s not reserved to brand new, it’s the same with as I lay dying (even more so!) and it’s similar to how your president is able to do dumb shit every single day and have people back him because people care less about those actions, and more about the fact that they feel slighted when people call them out for supporting those people.

It’s not an excuse for supporting them and I think it’s intellectually dishonest to suggest that, but at some point repeating “but why do people still like brand new??” Without at least understanding why people do sounds really tedious and unnecessary.
    FWIW I don’t even listen to BN and I had no problem “dropping them” after everything Jesse Lacey did cake to light, this isn’t me defending some band I have a big emotional connection to.

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

For real, I could not care less what someone who still publicly supports Brand New thinks of what anyone says about them online. If you still publicly support them your opinions and feelings on the matter don’t really mean anything to me.

It’s not about “why do people still like Brand New?”, because people have their reasons and those reasons are personal and not anyone else’s business, it’s about “why do people still feel the need to support them openly when that support can be harmful/triggering to survivors and just generally makes you seem like a person who completely lacks any empathy?”

Nobody cares if a person still listens to them but nobody wants to know about it either. It’s not hard to just listen to them in private and keep it to yourself, I promise it really isn’t.

Zilla, Jonathan, mercury and 12 others like this.
  20. Maddy

Regular

While I wouldn't equate someone's entire level or ability to be empathetic based on their musical taste, I think the point is the same. This message board is one of the few places I have seen on the internet where mentions of BN or other abusers bring about such a strong reaction. If there is a strong need to celebrate their work, don't do it here

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hovvdy is touring with Pinegrove

22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think it's fair to chastise them for it when it's been established before that most people outside of this forum do not know the full Pinegrove situation.

23. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think it's fair to chastise them for it when it's been established before that most people outside of this forum do not know the full Pinegrove situation.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'm not "chastising" anyone

25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Fair. I didn't really know what other word to use, so sorry.