Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 374

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Anthony_ Jan 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 23, 2020)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah this is exactly right. There’s a pretty clear connection to that puff piece coming out and the band being “welcomed back” and returning to playing sold out shows and having their albums reviewed and discussed. None of that happens if Pitchfork didn’t give everyone cover. Hell, like I’ve said before, most people *on this site* were about to be willing to give them another chance, myself included, until we learned the truth. They had a journalistic responsibility to report the facts accurately and they utterly failed to do that. And that helped Pinegrove come back. They would not have been able to do it without Pitchfork.

Joe4th, Philll and OhTheWater like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh I was 100% willing to give them another chance considering the way it was presented. I'm really grateful for people like @leerkat who continued to push back against that narrative and provided a voice for the survivors

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Goddammit this sucks.

Attached Files:

thenewmatthewperry and Carrow like this.
  4. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

UGH, NOOOOO.

5. Goddammit Phoebe. Fuck that.

6. As I said.

Most people 1) do not know there was another accusation, afaik it was only mentioned in this thread, and 2) do not know the the extra information.

Zilla and Carrow like this.
  7. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

Not music-related but I just unfollowed and blocked former Mic correspondent Jack Smith on IG after coming across an article from over a year ago about how he was fired for allegations of abuse. We followed each other and had casual contact but nothing more than that. Feeling bummed bc he was someone whose work I admired and also so tired of abusive men/folks hiding behind the guise of a progressive agenda. I only found the article because I ran a search after I grew curious about him starting over on IG and certain things not adding up about particular comments (he told me he idolized Ma Anand Sheela from Wild Wild Country and although certain traits of her are admirable, she also poisoned an entire town to try and rig an election) and also noticed he was switching over to a culinary career which made me wonder what had exactly happened with Mic. A while ago I had asked him what happened with Mic since I'd noticed a drop in posts on social media and he basically said it fell apart but never mentioned what had happened with him. Both his verified IG and new account are both private now.

Jack Smith IV Out At Mic After Jezebel Report Detailing Abuse Allegations | HuffPost

8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Interview with Evan and Bob Boilen is up. Bob says at the beginning that "his accuser has not publicly objected to the bands return. If she had, I wouldn't of had this conversation." The rest of the interview does not touch on the allegations at all.

Edit: Didn't know it was going to link like that, I thought it was just going to link the article title.

9. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Phoebe’s continued support is kind of weird considering she was part of the whole movement herself. You’d think if she’s calling him “Sweet Friend” they’d be close enough that she would know the details. But I guess she could easily only know what the general public knows too. I can’t imagine ESH would just share that info with people.

Zilla, Carrow and tyramail like this.
  10. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Regarding Pinegrove my local alt rock station (which is independent and locally operated) are throwing a sponsored show with them in a few weeks. They're promoting it heavily.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

my local record store did an in-store performance/album signing with them a few weeks ago and i didn't notice it until after the fact but it was disappointing to see as well.

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i have a very hard time believing phoebe would be completely out of the loop on pinegrove

Joe4th, Contender, seimagery and 2 others like this.
  13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

She knows what happened, but I'm sure what she knows is what was said in the Pitchfork article. Any further information is mainly only known on this forum.

14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Phoebe is the reason I know of Pinegrove but I thought she detached herself from them. Guess not.

15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I feel like the Pitchfork article + being friends with Evan and only hearing his story easily explains why Phoebe would still support them

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

right. it's still pretty specifically odd considering how she handled the ryan adams situation vs. how she's choosing to handle this, though.

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeesh.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

holy shit

19. Anthony_

Abusers are usually very good at hiding their true selves from even people that believe they are close to them. There's certainly a strong possibility Phoebe has no idea about the truth of what went on. Nobody really does outside of this forum and some people local to the specific survivor that has been involved with the public-facing portion of the whole situation. And unless you're here or following some specific people on Twitter, there's likely no way you know that there are other survivors either.

Granted, outlets like Pitchfork or NPR have a journalistic responsibility to get the whole story before running with their puff pieces, album reviews, and artist interviews. If the survivor doesn't want to talk to you about it, maybe don't publish positive things about the band.

20. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Phoebe was scheduled for a tour with Pinegrove before the first allegations were made and she dropped/the tour was canceled. Theres absolutely no way in my mind that she doesn't know.

RedDotRecording and phaynes12 like this.
  21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Of course she knows about the initial allegations. But as everyone has said over and over, there’s essentially no reason for her to think that there is more going on when publicly only so much has been stated.

Joe4th, ItsAndrew and Anthony_ like this.
  22. Anthony_

There’s a chance she doesn’t know that the survivor isn’t ok with their comeback, is what I’m saying. Of course she knows about the original allegations.

PatRFinley likes this.
  23. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Fuck Scientology.

24. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Sorry my post wasn't supposed to be directed at anyone, I'm just disappointed.

25. Saephon

Regular

Just wanted to chime in here and say that as someone who unintentionally took a break from reading these forums for a while (no specific reason, I just sort of fell out of music discussion sites for a long time); coming here as someone who only knows of the initial Pinegrove situation and nothing else beyond it.... it's very difficult to arm myself with the knowledge that apparently only the users here have.

I'm still trying to educate myself, but beyond manually searching through a 376 page thread, it feels like an uphill battle. Not criticizing anyone or anything, just wanted to affirm the night and day difference between discussion here and...well, everywhere else. As angry as you might be at people who don't come here and how they can support an artist, I very humbly suggest taking just a second to remind yourself that it's really hard to know everything going on all the time, and people make choices based on the information available to them. Staying informed is a full time job, and I do try, but when life is already busy and stressful, it's tough.