Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 358

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Thinking someone is innocent because the case was dropped after they died is pure galaxy brain

FTank, Blainer93, ItsAndrew and 5 others like this.
  2. cherrywaves

Trusted

Wasn’t he recorded saying essentially that he did it? But hypebeast fanboys wanted to hit everyone with the “let him Rest In Peace, bro” routine

solxace, mugi stan and incognitojones like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

He openly admitted unprompted to a hate crime

Blainer93, ItsAndrew, K0ta and 9 others like this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah I knew that but I’m pretty sure he’s on record copping to beating his pregnant girlfriend too

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. He admits to beating her and stabbing multiple people on the same tape.

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Their go-to is saying the tape was edited iirc

If you're gonna listen to him at least be up front about it

cherrywaves likes this.
  7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

8. mugi stan

remember when phil did the seig heil at dimebash and all his red neck fans screamed and cried “HE WAS JUST MAKING A JOKE HE’S NOT RACIST”

Gallhammer likes this.
  9. cherrywaves

Trusted

White wine, bro

Carrow likes this.
  10. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

i mean even the guitar riff to walk sounds racist somehow

Anthony_, Carrow and Gallhammer like this.
  11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

thenewmatthewperry and Anthony_ like this.
  12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I said a thing to Pitchfork just now:

[​IMG]

Snoblin, solxace, abcdefg123 and 3 others like this.
  13. PauLo

43% Burnt

Been bombarded with abuse from a bunch of 14 year olds yet?

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Pitchfork just cannot stop boosting pos abusers

Snoblin likes this.
  15. To give Pitchfork credit, their investigative journalism on Xxx’s abuse has been excellent. The audio tape mentioned by @Aaron Mook was unearthed by Pitchfork; they also published his abuse survivor’s deposition which details the abuse. A few days ago, they published another piece about The Fader’s documentary about his abuse that wasn’t released due to pressure from Xxx’s camp and changing hands at the publication. The review also explicitly mentions his abuse allegations numerous times. I think they’ve done their due diligence—I don’t think it’s fair to say they’re “boosting” him at all.

16. tomdelonge

Trusted

Borat 2: Vengeance and Wharf Rat like this.
  17. tomdelonge

Trusted

What i mean is, mass culture launders concepts of identity and perception thru symbolic images, so whether one thinks they’re a free thinker or not, they def are not and u are what u eat.

i think this is why stuff like the politics thread is “entertaining” but rather counter productive. When you ingest that kind of spectacle even if yr hate reading it, you’re allowing it to mutate your epistomology.

18. tomdelonge

Trusted

I feel very sad about this rn because it seems like malignant actors like corporations, political parties, the extremely wealthy, russian propagandists, other bad people have figured out how to leverage folks media illiteracy to distort the shape of things in shitty ways

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wtf, Swans actually put out an album this year? i see ben frost contributed to it too. incredibly disappointing.

DaydreamNation and Carrow like this.
  20. I mean, sure, but if we’re going to drag out Adorno to say that Pitchfork is bad, we might as well delete this thread, which is exclusively counter-productive. Feels like a cop out to me—yeah, the entire pop culture landscape, and the media organizations that cover it, are likely compromised. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take a critical eye to evaluate the actors within our compromised system to determine the extent to which they are or aren’t perpetuating harm.

21. tomdelonge

Trusted

But if the thread is counter productive simulacra, is there a way to pivot the conversation towards action?

if the system is the problem, shouldn’t we break the system? The world doesnt need media, the world doesnt need criticism, if p4k goes away for example, society is strengthened.

22. tomdelonge

Trusted

By now most regulars on these corners of chorus are well aware of the problems that get cycled thru over and over. At times i find myself feeling like its this pantomime of social engagement that is def at times vital and valuable, but i think fair to say insufficeint.

Every week in the politics thread is “ugh gonna be one of those weeks again”, how can this chorus of ppl...i dont know, not have a week like that?

23. tomdelonge

Trusted

(I include myself as part of the problem. No intent to criticize anyone)

24. Idk, I have a taken a huge step back from this site over the course of the past few months—and truthfully, I’ve taken a huge step back from the internet as a whole—largely because I don’t think this thread is useful, and I still think it veers into toxic territory more often than not. I don’t see the purpose when the general cycle here is: user 1 posts a tweet, user 2 says “fuck that band,” they both gets likes, and the system continues. All it does is leave me upset about the state of the world, and upset that, to quote Jia Tolentino, “making a righteous political statement has come to seem, for many people, like a political good in itself.”

we had a conversation in here not too long ago about how this thread could possibly pivot to more productive accountability conversations, and not just linger in the “fuck this band” discourse that dominates it, and idk, it went poorly. I don’t think it’s possible. I think, at this point, this thread mostly just serves to make us all worse while violent and abusive people in the industry continue to thrive.

25. tomdelonge

Trusted

That’s really well said and captures a lot of how I feel too. I don’t feel like I want to throw baby away with the bathwater, and I feel I need to think on these confusing topics more and consider how this could all evolve, but there is a part of me that feels like this mode of engagement is a bit of a whoopsy.

I feel myself wrestling with this nagging feeling the internet such as it is now is a huge huge huge huge part of the problem, but still, i like it, or maybe im just addicted...i just dont even know. Its complicated

Preserved Moose and ECV like this.