Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 356

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. nohandstoholdonto Dec 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2019)
    nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

lol

edit: the more I find out about the context of the actual quotes and article, the more my fucking blood boils that this queerty “article” exists, honestly disgraceful af.

2. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Had no idea about the JANK stuff. I’ve been searching for a copy of Awkward Pop Songs on vinyl for months, but I’m going to discontinue that search.

3. BenSmith94

Trusted

I love how people were complaining about the Brand New stuff. Imagine being upset about not being outed as a current listener of a band whose figurehead groomed and solicited nudes from minors.

solxace, aliens exist and Carrow like this.
  4. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

There’s nothing to be “outed” as. Your implication is that Brand New fans should somehow be embarrassed for adoring the band simply due to Jesse’s misconduct. That’s simply not how it works. If anything, I reckon they’d be more proud of enjoying such critically acclaimed music.

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Oh no

oldjersey, Ken, K0ta and 15 others like this.
  6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

:facepalm:

Carrow likes this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I, for one, am definitely proud of enjoying such critically acclaimed music. Very proud.

Kingjohn_654, FTank, Aregala and 10 others like this.
  8. Zilla Dec 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2019)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I often walk around town wearing a shirt of critically-acclaimed actor Kevin Spacey. People threaten to kick my ass, but they should be proud I have such good taste.

9. Chorus dot fm user DrowntheWorkforce with the worst take of the year? I for one am shocked.

10. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

This is stupid. In no scenario would anyone actually be arsed enough to make a violent threat just because Spacey’s on your shirt.

11. Yes, that's what's stupid in this thread ...

12. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Here's a couple stupid things:

#1 with a bullet, thinking you should be proud that you listen to "critically acclaimed" music, whatever that means. Out the gate an insane thing to think about.

#2, the idea that people should be proud that they're supporting a band with a singer who groomed and exploited children for years. Not disappointed, or conflicted, or introspective of the idols they've made of fucked up people or the concept of idols in general, but proud, like the objectively monstrous behavior of people is just a non-factor.

#3, that liking a band is a big enough part of their identity that they feel proud when the band gets good reviews but also actually it doesn't matter when the guy in the band gets outed as a huge piece of shit actively preying on teens.

#4, any critics praising a band after some horrendous shit about them comes in, yikes. This is an easy way to lose critical acclaim, and then like damn, what can you be proud of when you post about the band on your instagram story.

#5, again the idea that anyone should be proud of the music they listen to. Abusers of all different types are able to cover up their actions and continually thrive in music scenes (and TV, movies, books, any other media platform really) because so many fans have this unhealthy relationship with the media they consume. Where they connect to these people and co-opt them as part of their personality, and making liking a thing part of who they are to the point that any revelations about these people's true lives don't hurt their careers because their fans will defend anything.

Anyway, this might be a little repetitive but its too early for this thread to be this fucked. Yikes all around.

13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Dude really needs to stop being creepy

14. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Lmao gotta love defiant moron Brand New stans

Snoblin and Carrow like this.
  17. luv too defend nonces

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I doubt you’ll read the replies to this post because this seems like a huge troll post, but you should absolutely be embarrassed because he’s a predator that wrote songs about being a predator. There’s no amount of critical acclaim that can wash out that stain.

mercury, K0ta, Donnie Ruth and 15 others like this.
  19. Maddy

Regular

I’d say this is pretty much accurate....it is no coincidence that these major label artists have their stories buried and rarely heard about (RHCP, Beatles, Fall Out Boy) or are able to have a PR machine promote a comeback (Pinegrove)

20. BenSmith94

Trusted

Hi Jesse!

21. nohandstoholdonto

I am neither proud nor embarrassed to be someone who loves the music of the band Brand New.

22. ItsAndrew Dec 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 8, 2019)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

This was not the right thing to say, especially at this time, but here we are...

Edit: Also, I can't say for certain, but it sure seems like he's just making this statement because it happened to a hip hop musician. If this happened to some pop punk dude I have a feeling he wouldn't be this harsh.

23. Oh the dumb shit is still a dumb shit color me shocked.

24. nohandstoholdonto

this isn’t to say that I’m not conflicted

25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Is Jarrod that YouTube pop punk guy?