Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 355

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I agree here, but it’s also a talk show and I feel like half the time they’re A) non-serious and B) incredibly superficial as far as their interview content goes. I just don’t have the expectation of a high quality interview from these types of shows, especially with a comedic host. Not that I don’t agree with the better use of time, I just don’t have that standard here.

domotime2 likes this.
  2. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

Re: Buying from TE, I saw Sarah (Illuminati Hotties) respond to someone about it earlier, if you’re thinking about buying something from the artist maybe just DM them for now or like others have said buy it directly at a show.

3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

At least R Kelly got what was coming to him in the end, despite being very late.

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

yeah honestly lately he’s been so in and out that I couldn’t remember where things stood. I’m glad some form of justice is FINALLY happening/starting

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

and yet I recently went to a party where everyone was singing along to ignition :/

7. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

It sounds really bizarre but I feel like people are better at separating art from the artist when they don’t necessarily care about the artist.
    honestly if I would have heard it in public I would have jammed too, before I saw the show. Now it would just make me sad but there are tons of people who don’t know the true extent of it sadly

But also yep that’s what I mean that he’ll always have a fan base and be making money as long as streaming exists etc

8. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

Quick follow-up to the things you and others have been saying (not a response to you but more of a piggy-back off of your thoughts based in industry knowledge):

All of these questions and the point of the whole segment was most likely reviewed and OK'd by Billie's PR, marketing, and management people before she went on to the show. Someone of her public stature was possibly given the final "yes/no" on all the individual pieces of the segment that went to air.

No matter how it comes off, it's 98% likely that Billie's "people" OK'd it.

domotime2 and HatingEveryMinute like this.
  9. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

For the record - Billie Joe Armstrong's interview w/ Billie Eilish for Rolling Stone is better, especially on the topic of her youth. He comes across as genuinely respecting her as an artist and person, which really stood out to me when I read/watched it.

smowashere, sonder, ItsAndrew and 5 others like this.
  10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

At least the 2010s brought us the demise of this. Thank the lord.

mercury, Zilla, Contender and 7 others like this.
  11. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

Thought you all might like this given the conversation lately...

Stolen from Imgur

[​IMG]

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

All for using LeVar instead, that’s way better

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

15. bestofmoss

Regular

apparently* brand new has been blacklisted from spotify wrapped lists but other problematic artists (xxxtentaciton, drake, etc.) have not been. any guesses as to why? maybe those other guys just have more influence being leveraged by major labels?

*source: various claims from twitter randos

16. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Very small thing but kinda cool to see Spotify removing Brand New from their recaps. Be cooler if they did it for other artists like this but hey. It’s something?

17. jjnunn118

Hahahaha great timing everyone

CarpetElf and bestofmoss like this.
  18. If they're leaving all these other artists on the lists it may just be a bug because of the name of the band which they may not have accounted for. To me this reads as a coding error or the band asking to be cut out and not Spotify preemptively doing it.

(Kinda weird seeing so many people showing their asses on twitter about it, but that's another thing altogether.)

19. jjnunn118

This feels right actually, I think I saw Spanish Love Songs talking about how their band name made it so they weren’t counted.

tyramail, CarpetElf and bestofmoss like this.
  20. bestofmoss

Regular

yeah I saw a list with Burzum on it lol so I'm guessing they didn't single brand new out for being especially heinous or anything. their name being tricky seems the most likely reason.

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it would be a weird look to remove Brand New but promote XXX.

22. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Yeah weird if its just them, lot of artists should be taken off but still show up. Another weird half measure of accountability from Spotify.

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I believe XXX was the main artist for Spotify bringing back the artists that they had originally blacklisted. TDE threatened to pull their entire catalog if they didn't. So they're not going to touch him unless they're willing to lost a decent amount of listens.

But I agree with Jason that this seems like a coding error.

24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious