Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 310

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Can Frank's career just die already

[​IMG]

Lmao this is spot on

2. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

3. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

4. Martina

Regular

Here's an interesting point from the article:

"In just the past week since the video resurfaced, Die Antwoord has been removed from the lineup on Kentucky festival Louder Than Life, and also apparently Life Is Beautiful. LIB has made no official statement about the lineup change, but apparently told a Redditor about it in DMs. (paragraph break) Neither festival makes any explicit mention of the video."

It's not clear when they were pulled from these festivals, "since the video resurfaced" isn't very precise since the video has been in and out of the news for a long time as the article itself says.

Does anyone know if there been any other notable public posts/conversation about this band and calls to pull them from the festivals they had been booked for?

It would be interesting to know if there had been an organized effort calling for them to be removed or the effort was pretty much all behind the scenes. They have been known for a long time to be (I'd hope) an undesirable band for festivals, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an organized effort made to remove them going on for a long time.

5. zorbed

Regular Supporter

Did Frank Turner always suck and just kept it to himself so nobody really talked about it as he was coming up? Or was there a shift at some point? He seemed like a genuine dude and associated with DIY punk acts for such a long time maybe I just assumed he identified with the political leanings of those bands?

sonder likes this.
  6. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Frank Turner definitely did not always suck (this much). Maybe always had that straight white male confidence that he was always right / belonged anywhere and slipped here and there, but he didn’t use to say dumb shit (and double down instead of apologize) and actually stood for good. Used to do benefit shows to raise money for DIY spaces and deserving charities. I’m sure he still does some of that but he’s changed and made this whole new douchy persona.

At one point he turned really defensive and started saying stupid shit and doing dumb things like making songs called Make America Great Again and thinking that he really did something brave and deep. Once people started pushing back and criticizing his music is when I think the shift came.

RazorCrusade and Carrow like this.
  7. As pathetic as it sounds, having to own the stuff he did and take criticism for the mistakes he made in the public eye just made him want to double down on his shitty behaviour and not listen to anyone, which, when you're a 37-year-old white man who's made a mockery of the politics he used to sing about and even endorse, is just par for the fucking course. Fuck him.

RazorCrusade likes this.
  8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

It’s wild because his whole early brand was “self aware punk” and he could seriously use some self awareness at this point.

Jake W, RazorCrusade and Carrow like this.
  9. RazorCrusade

We make our own luck and we live with every defeat Supporter

He definitely identified himself as politically libertarian sometime after EKMB. It was extremely disappointing at the time because it certainly seemed to fly in the face of a lot of his ethos and lyrics. But yeah, fuck him. No point in listening to anything that dude has to say anymore.

zorbed likes this.
  10. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

11. zorbed

Regular Supporter

I mean I guess he was DIY in that he believes his drive and hustle lead to his success, embodying the capitalist dream?

Seems like he's that cliche where 'If you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains.'

RazorCrusade likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I thought it was weird that I saw him open for The Offspring but I guess not

13. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Frank’s favorite song of theirs, apparently

14. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I’m not excited to bring this back up, but it’s been one week since those allegations against Mitski went public, and Amber, the alleged victim, is not backing down on her blog. So I don’t really know what to do, since the general consensus seems to be that Mitski is innocent.

15. cherrywaves

Trusted

I've definitely seen enough support to indicate that Mitski did not do those things, but this seems like a real tough situation for all involved

16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Honestly, the evidence kinda goes against Amber imo

stars143 likes this.
  17. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

A Day to Remember putting out a single reminded me of some rumors about their bassist being a predator from a long time ago. Like, at least 10 years ago. Tried to google it but couldn't find a ton of info. Anyone remember the details on this one?

18. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

If I remember correctly, there was an altercation at Warped Tour with an ex and he threw a bottle at her or spit on her or something, general reports of creepy behavior ON Warped to teen fans, and something getting posted on Is Anyone Up. The details are very fuzzy though.

CoffeeEyes17 and supernovagirl like this.
  19. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

That’s essentially what I remember too

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  20. DarkHotline

What I remember was Josh basically assaulted his (ex?) girlfriend on a Warped date.

21. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I remember those allegations being “discredited” because they were being ran on Is Anyone Up, and Hunter had beef with ADTR. That was also many years ago and back when I was a shithead who didn’t care about this stuff.

Had actually kinda forgotten about it, I’ll have to see if I can find anything on this

22. DarkHotline

Ah Is Anyone Up, the home of album leaks and dick pics of band dudes

23. HatingEveryMinute

2005 OMEA runner up in triangle solo

Still amazes me that site existed for as long as it did.

24. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Fuck that website. That website was literally a life ruiner

Anthony_ and Anna Acosta like this.
  25. If anyone can find anything, I'd like to see it. I heard rumors about general grossness but it never seemed to get more specific.

IAU was disgusting. Doesn't mean the allegations weren't real, just that it would be really nice if there was another source.