Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 278

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

extremely silly situation

Louisiana Fast likes this.
  2. Yup.

The heckler is right that it isn't their responsibility to educate but I'm not sure how they thought that was gonna play out given the context of where they were. I'm not touching whether it was appropriative or not, because I'm not in the group that was in theory being appropriated from.

And I say that as someone who has often called folks out when I didn't have the spoons to Google things for them. I know how frustrating a position that is to be in, and honestly the musician should know better than to engage with something like that in a room full of their fans. THAT'S where you need to "be the bigger person", so to speak.

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

maybe save it for a forum other than the middle of a show. also fail to see what cox did wrong to even warrant being called out

4. drewinseries

Drew

IDK, I kind of feel like creating a situation like that and providing no explanation just causes more problems and doesn't advance any more depth of conversation about the topic she was trying to bring to light.

trevorshmevor, Carrow and sophos34 like this.
  5. username

hey you lil piss baby

I guess what I fail to see is what is productive about calling someone up on something but then prodceding to be unwilling to engage in the dialogue you seemingly wanted to start (I get the sense that this was, at least at first, what Cox was willing to do, but I wasn’t there so).

I understand that it is largely on “us” to actively educate ourselves, but is asking those who point the issues out not part of that education? (Genuine question)

RazorCrusade and drewinseries like this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yelling at someone from a crowd is also a very different situation than posting on a forum where whoever wants you to educate them has google literally at their fingertips.

7. clucky

Trusted Supporter

At least the backlash is apparently hurting TSSB enough to get Wil to cry about it. Still sad to see so many replies supporting the POS though.

ItsAndrew, K0ta, Joe4th and 4 others like this.
  8. drewinseries

Drew

My thoughts as well.

9. Context matters. As I said, I don't know what the heckler thought was gonna happen given the context of the situation. It was just... not well thought out if they weren't planning on actually having the dialogue. I get being frustrated, but it was never gonna be a good look. It was probably just a person being very frustrated and not using common sense, which is a very human thing to do. We are rarely productive when we're frustrated, and there was no great way for Cox to handle this either. So my takeaway is a long, heavy sigh.

And as @EASheartsVinyl pointed out, this is very different from being say, online, where everyone could easily google something and often demand this kind of labor from a place of bad faith.

10. Exactly this.

CoffeeEyes17, Carrow and Anthony_ like this.
  11. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Tweets/retweets from Sarah of Camp Cope about the shit street band

12. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Hate to bring up Lambesis and AILD again but i really want to know opinions.

How do i treat bands that are associating with AILD?

The tour coming up, i want to see the openers but goddammit, why with AILD.

13. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

You treat them the same way you treat AILD. They're complicit. If you buy tickets to that tour you're supporting AILD too, it's that simple.

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t listen to that style so it’s really easy for me to write off any band touring with them completely. It’s definitely a personal decision if you want to keep listening or supporting the bands in their other tours/releases, but going to this tour at all supports him and AILD.

incognitojones and K0ta like this.
  15. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

That's kind of where I am at too. I just can't go see and leave, they are still making money off my ticket. Thank you for making it simple!

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

who are the opening bands?

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

why do you care what other people are “writing off” and stuff? draw your own lines

18. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

I never listened to TSSB despite hearing of them for years, so I haven’t followed the situation that closely, but from what I gathered, wasn’t Wagner just accused of committing “emotional abuse” and nothing further? I couldn’t find anything else that was accusing him of actually doing anything illegal, so is there more to the situation? Because I’m surprised that he’s getting this negative of a response if that’s just the case, and being likened to Ryan Adams, who sexted a minor.

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. Legality has nothing to do with it (saying nothing of the failings of the legal system re: cases of abuse)
    2. Maybe don't use "just" to diminish any kind of abuse that isn't physical
    3. Why is it surprising that someone accused of any kind of abuse is getting a "negative" response? (I'm assuming this related to your misjudgment highlighted in 2)

RazorCrusade, Mary V, dadbolt and 8 others like this.
  20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I wouldn’t say “just” emotional abuse. He threatened to kill himself and his partner.

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Yikes. I’d suggest trying to word these kinds of questions better.

Carrow likes this.
  22. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Exactly. Not guilty ≠ innocent

tyramail likes this.
  23. "Just" emotional abuse. Lol I gotta go tell my old therapist the PTSD and lingering effects half a decade later are fixed now because it was (almost) just emotional abuse.

24. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure if these were to me or not but After the Burial and Emmure.

Being from Minnesota, ATB has been a band I've grown up with essentially and seen so many times so it kind of sucks. Especially since they lost a member of their band due to mental illness, you'd think they would be sensitive to this.

Emmure is whatever, I just enjoy Josh Travis and wouldn't mind seeing them live, definitely a guilty pleasure thing.

I am uneasy about it and my reaction was to skip the show and even cut ties to the bands but I just wanted to see where other people would be at I guess.

25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Honestly, just don’t go to the show. You can see them play another time without AILD.