Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 277

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Literally this. This is literally the issue talking about this kind of stuff on this website. Aggravating.

2. It's gross that anyone is reporting on this at all considering the dude has done nothing but double down on his shit since the story broke. I know it's news and everything but, wow, people really give a fuck about an abusive predator under FBI investigation returning to music? Wild.

Snoblin and Anthony_ like this.
  3. How many people are going to stop reading and linking to them? I’d guess zero.

(I’ve been critical of how certain publications cover certain topics and artists or continue to give publicity, but this doesn’t feel like that kinda case here. That said, I doubt I post about it cause I don’t care what Ryan Adams has to say about anything. But I do less traffic than those other websites probably in part because I feel that way.)

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I’m not clicking on that link so correct me if I’m wrong but I seriously doubt that Pitchfork article is telling people not to listen to him. But if I’m wrong then that’s great, good on them for telling people to stay away!

Also I can call Pitchfork out because Pitchfork was posted in here, show me another outlet that made a similar post and I’ll call them out too lol like what is even the point of the second half of your post? That because Pitchfork isn’t the only one I shouldn’t say anything?

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

You can say something, but to call out JUST Pitchfork when others also reported on his re-emergence, seems like misdirected criticism. Pitchfork just happened to be the news outlet posted here, but they’re not the only ones “at fault” here.

Carrow likes this.
  6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

But they’re the ones that were posted so they’re the ones I said something about lol. I’m not singling them out, I’m just commenting on what was posted here. I just don’t get why that’s a problem. If someone had posted a Rolling Stone article I would have said something just about them.

Carrow likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

8. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I feel like calling this a burner account is giving him too much credit since it’s so obviously him lol jeez

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

he even liked some of the tweets from the verified account lol

10. Martina Jul 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 22, 2019)
    Martina

Regular

I don't think it's a burner account, I'm pretty sure it's what is sometimes incorrectly called a bot account. Maybe you are saying burner to indicate it is a throwaway account which can be used for an ulterior motive and discarded. That's possible, but it isn't likely it would be simply discarded. It's more likely that sometime it disappear and the person who has access to this account would change the name and profile photo and banner photo, delete all tweets, and the account would to the outside world look like it was created anew by someone else, say a high school cheerleader who looooves William Control and the Fifty Shades trilogy.

As I'm sure a lot of people here are aware, bots are programs or program code that interact with social media. Social media accounts aren't bots, but bots need to interact with social media accounts to have any effect.

It's also possible to coordinate bot-like actions with a non-automated platform like TweetDeck, and there appear to be so few accounts interacting here that the person or people behind this account may be using something like TweetDeck to coordinate this. There's a big gray-hat market of bot programmers and contract workers who manage this sort of thing for a living.

The account is suspiciously active, with dozens of posts obsessively focusing on Ryan Adams from just today at this link: https://twitter.com/IL1ves/with_replies It also doesn't have much of a following and isn't following many accounts (51 accounts following, 42 followers) -- and most suspicious, the account creation month (which can't be manipulated) is February of this year.

Yeah, the month that the FBI investigation story broke.

The account is definitely being used to boost the likes/retweets/search ranking of pro-Ryan Adams tweets and articles linked to from Twitter. I suspect it's either being managed by Ryan or his staff or some social media bot service that he or his staff are working with to promote him. I can't imagine a fan doing this for him for free.

It also links to really obscure "me too witch hunt" articles that have no credibility to anyone who doesn't wear a tinfoil hat for protection from cosmic rays: New York Times places songwriter Ryan Adams in the crosshairs of its #MeToo witch hunt

It would be fascinating to look at the accounts that this account is linked to and explore an obviously manipulated network that is trying to promote him on Twitter.

12. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

lol there is zero reason for a statement like that to be that long. Jesus.

13. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

When you have to be that defensive :chin::chin::chin:

LWS, RazorCrusade, Ken and 2 others like this.
  14. zorbed

Regular Supporter

"We are coming out with new music and oh actually it was ME who was abused" is definitely a strategy one can take I guess. That was stomach churning to read. The ramblings sound like someone who just can't own up to the things they've done and then blaming their partner for becoming a reflection of the toxicity and negativity that was inflicted back (something AnnaAcosta talked about a while earlier in this thread that has stuck with me). He needs to step away from music for a long time and get help.

15. Yikes
    This is the exact behaviour my ex put me through for years. All the emotional abuse was my fault. I really hope Georgia is okay

16. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

So sorry you went through that.

17. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I can’t imagine feeling the need to write all that lol. He’s truly only making it worse for everyone.

18. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

As someone who has been in an emotionally abusive realtionship with a man who would literally jump off a bridge before taking accountability for his actions, reading that (well, the 50% that I made it through) made me physically ill. Pointing out all of the time she didn't outright tell him "hey I hate you" as if she would ever feel safe to do that when they're alone together, working very hard to remind everyone she isn't a "perfect" victim, taking credit for her success as a musician... the gang's all here. Absolutely gross and ridiculous. You were a shitty person, you lost your platform. Get a job outside of music like the rest of us.

LWS, RazorCrusade, Mary V and 7 others like this.
  19. Didn't quite know where else to post this.

Deerhunter’s Bradford Cox Responds To Heckler Accusing Him Of Cultural Appropriation
    Daniela B. explained the situation in an email: “During the set, Bradford Cox started a dialogue with a heckler accusing him of cultural appropriation because he said he’s a huge fan of Twin Peaks, and he said was planning on staying in North Bend at the Salish Lodge that night so that he could explore Snoqualmie the next day.”

In the video, Cox calls the heckler to the front of the stage and lets her voice her concern on the mic. “You’re appropriating Snoqualmie culture,” she says. Cox asks her to explain — “Is there something about North Bend that I should know? I’d like to hear it.” — but she declines. “Why should I, as a person of color, have to tell you about it,” she asks to collective booing. “So that I can empathize and relate to your point,” Cox responds.

20. drewinseries

Drew

Interesting take from that is:

“Why should I, as a person of color, have to tell you about it,” she asks to collective booing. “So that I can empathize and relate to your point,” Cox responds.

21. Shoot Wil Wagner into the sun.

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That conversation and the fact that it happened during the show sounds pretty messy, but I’m also having a hard time how it started at all.

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

There’s one or two firsthand accounts in the comments from people at the show that give a little more context and clarity.

(Assuming this is re: Bradford Cox)

Carrow likes this.
  24. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Well, the heckler certainly didn't help their cause by not allowing Bradford to learn why staying in North Bend is appropriating Native American culture.

FTank, dadbolt, Ken and 4 others like this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep, it was. The only thing I got from the comments that helped at all was that he had been speaking to audience members earlier in the set as well. The whole thing just seems messy from all angles and that’s about it. Her yelling at him for a reason that doesn’t seem to make any sense for what he specifically said is a bad look, but so is singling her out in a scenario where she’s pretty much guaranteed to be on the losing end since everyone is on his side by default and he has the established platform.