Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 269

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Phones at shows don’t bother me. I saw Death Cab and Jenny Lewis last night and plenty of people took pictures or videos and I didn’t really think much of it. If someone was filming with an iPad raised up over their head that’d be one thing but I feel like it’s not a huge deal otherwise.

But I also don’t mind putting my phone away for the show if it’s what the performer prefers.

Arry, Anna Acosta, K0ta and 1 other person like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

*pushes thru* "my friends up there." *stands in front of you*

trevorshmevor, angel paste and K0ta like this.
  4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I try to get a few pics early and then put my phone away but, I’ve definitely been guilty on more than one occasion of keeping my phone up for an extended period to get an IG video or just a recording in general, but if someone were to ask me nicely to lower or move my phone I’d have no issues at all, because I’d hope to be met with the same courtesy. I try not to get too “old man yells at cloud” about it, everyone there (probably) paid the same that I paid to be there, so if that’s how they wanna enjoy their experience, it’s not gonna ruffle my feathers too badly.

Arry likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

talking is way more distracting than phones,personally I find disconnecting from my phone and being online freeing at shows but I know that's personal and I have anxiety so I get it

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

100% - it bugs me way more when people around me are chattering incessantly than if the person in front of me kept holding their phone up to take a picture

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

when I saw Vampire Weekend a week or so ago the dude behind me was literally explaining the concept of an encore loudly during their set to their date

followed by a different dude explaining how a piano works ---- "the left hand plays chords while the right hand plays melodic parts"

shit was DOPE

Joe4th, mad, Wharf Rat and 4 others like this.
  8. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i think this is how i feel about it. i would never bring out my phone if i was on stage and would never keep my phone up for 90% of the show but i get people who want to take a lot of pictures

9. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

blows my mind that people want to go to a concert and talk the whole time, it’s so loud so you have to yell and also annoying as fuck to everyone else including the person you are trying to talk to most likely

meggers, K0ta, ImAMetaphor and 4 others like this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

there are bars you can talk at without paying a cover charge if that's what you want

11. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

someone was talking loudly in the front row of a basement show, like the whole room can you hear you shhhhh I’m still mad about it

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

ok so theres hammers that hit wires that vibrate at specific frequencies and

Louisiana Fast, Joe4th and Aregala like this.
  13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Probably had more to do with that she was onstage trying to take a selfie with the guy who's trying to perform which is rude imo.

14. yung_ting

Trusted

new rule: we can smash rude people’s shit

Snoblin and cherrywaves like this.
  15. username

hey you lil piss baby

I’m gonna be real, going to the gig in 2019 is almost guaranteed to be a miserable experience imo

jkauf, ImAMetaphor, LWS and 3 others like this.
  16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Honestly lmao

Wharf Rat likes this.
  17. cherrywaves

Trusted

18. I can appreciate the sentiment and realize context is important but I just have to say

I'd be murdered within 24 hours if I smashed the shit of everyone (read: every man) who was rude to me lmao

19. If someone is taking video of basically the whole show I get annoyed, but if they’re holding their phone up and it’s like the front facing camera and they’re just taking a video of themselves going bananas to the music then I get actually really upset

20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Last night at Jimmy eat world the drunk girl in front of me had her phone up almost the entire time. She thought she was taking video but didn't realize she never pressed record so she was just like... Holding her phone up doing nothing with it lol

21. [​IMG]

sophos34 likes this.
  22. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I was once at a concert where a dude in front of me filmed the entire thing holding his phone horizontally WITH BOTH ARMS ALL THE WAY UP. I was really hoping halfway through the show that his phone would die but then he took out a portable battery lmao

smowashere, K0ta, Joe4th and 3 others like this.
  23. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Just left the Seattle show and wanted to empathize by saying there were THREE people in front of me doing this (but actually recording, lol) during “The Middle,” and I’m pretty short... and thankfully it wasn’t during 23.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I like to take pics at shows and don't mind others who do. But when I take pics I don't rly raise it above my head?? I guess I keep it at my eye level. I'm usually in the front tho so like I guess I don't have to raise it super high. If they request no pics then I won't take any. If I'm not in the front I'm too short and can't see anyway. A phone isn't gonna make or break that, really. People's heads tend to be the problem for me more than their phones lol.

RazorCrusade likes this.
  25. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Last night, Julien Baker played a free show at House of Vans in Chicago. There were parts of the set where the chatter in the back was actually overpowering her onstage. I understand it was free, there was free alcohol, and a lot of people probably just came because it was something to do, but goddamn. A lot of us waited in line for hours to be up close and have a good experience, so it kinda sucks hearing your favorite artist drowned out by conversations in the back of the room. It's also just mad disrespectful to the musicians performing and trying to do their job.