Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 268

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yep, I also think that song being about Jesse is a big reach. I definitely think the lyrics are general enough where they could potentially be about a lot of different things.

teebs41 likes this.
  2. Very much a situation where unless they specifically say this song is about Jesse, you can disregard whatever speculation arises. It's a fairly generalised topic anyway so it's likely we'll never know.

beachdude likes this.
  3. BoldTitan Jun 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2019)
    BoldTitan

Trusted

When I Met Death on Right Away, Great Captain is about Trump "holy neon tangerine"

Lol sorry lame deep cut joke

Jesse West, teebs41 and angel paste like this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Someone on Instagram heard the neighborhood and said it spoke to them as a trump supporter (the kind of person the song is criticizing), so I think we can ignore everything on IG concerning that song

swboyd, Mary V, Joe4th and 5 others like this.
  5. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

idk andy chose to keep that song vague and these are sort of the consequences of that lol

supernovagirl and FTank like this.
  6. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

‘The common thread is a fashionable antagonist
    A steady threat with an unusual mind’

‘It's not about what this antagonist did to them
    It's more about the man they can't let him be
    They're gonna tie him to the back of my neighbor's car
    They're gonna drag him naked out in the street
    They're gonna tell him that he chose to be different’

‘...one man's untraditional seed’

Neighborhood is not about JL.

7. It seems that's been established.

8. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Fair. But in hopes of putting the finest point possible.

The guy released his first ‘political’ song, and to see it twisted into this kind of darkness by anyone is unfortunate.

teebs41 likes this.
  9. The dangers of ambiguity in writing.

angel paste likes this.
  10. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I'm very glad that song wasn't a dogwhistle phew

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Not sure if this falls under accountability but also not sure where else to post this...what do you all think of musicians who grab fans phones and throw them in the audience or breaking their phone?

Tom Morello Grabs A Fan's Phone & Throws It: Watch

12. tshreve

Metalicca

They should be held accountable and have to pay for it in some way. Shit is fucking stupid

13. I get that the cell phones must be annoying but as far as I'm aware destruction of property doesn't become justified in any other scenario. If they break a fan's phone, they need to pay for it.

Although, it's incredibly rude to film someone at like, the grocery store and incredibly lacking in foresight to try it around someone who flat out said "if I see it I'm throwing it" but still.

K0ta, Carrow and Jason Tate like this.
  14. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean if Tom had specifically asked the person not to film them when they were onstage, and they did so anyway, well....

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I was at an All-American Rejects show in 2012 Cleveland when a fan was recording the show on...an IPAD. Tyson grabbed it and smashed it on stage...a few minutes later he left the stage and came back with a bunch of money and gave it to the fan.

teebs41 likes this.
  16. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I'm sorry, but smashing/throwing someone's personal property is a violent act, especially when you're throwing it back into a crowd and potentially at someone else, and you really shouldn't get a pass for it, especially since you're a performer and it kind of comes with the job. I'm not saying it's right to ignore their wishes or talking about instances of someone being invasive but damn, if your server in a restaurant did that we wouldn't celebrate it?

17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

We're probably not far away from musicians doing what a lot of comedians do...which is making fans put their phones in a locked case upon entrance during the show. I would be fine with that.

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

The Misfits and Jack White have done this. It's actually not bad, and it's nice to not view the show through a sea of cell phones up in the air.

RazorCrusade, Anthony_ and sonder like this.
  19. Same. I've been at a few album screenings where they do this and I've worked on a lot of sets where they do it. It works out fine.

Anthony_ and K0ta like this.
  20. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i think it makes sense for a sit down show but i feel a lil anxious about locking up my phone in music venues. my phone is my safety line

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

The shows I've had to lock my phone up for...there are stations where you could unlock the case if there was an emergency or you just needed to use your phone. I also believe the casing was clear, so you could still see your phone screen (if someone messages or calls you - you'd know).

22. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

ahh that makes sense. I guess treating it like you're in a movie theater. I'm just super attached to my phone lol

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I think 95% of people are...and that's the problem. Every show I go to, people are on their phone. Whether they are filming the show, taking photos or scrolling through their phone. It's all a distraction for everyone else. I'm guilty of it too as I've done all three. I'm sure everyone on this site has. But it'd be nice to enjoy the show without all the distractions and I'd be all for it.

Arry and K0ta like this.
  24. The only time it would be an issue is if I'm covering the gig. Half the time it looks like I'm not paying attention because I'm in the notes app on my phone making note of the set list, quotes, etc. It would be a disaster in that specific scenario.

teebs41 and K0ta like this.
  25. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

as a shorter person i end up watching most shows through the camera of the tall person who shoved their way in front of me

RazorCrusade, Meghin, sonder and 2 others like this.