Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 264

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Stop using victim and use survivor. Please and thanks. Peace.

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

you're right this would be much more akin to groping a customer. so...

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Goddammit I'm so fucking stupid, my bad. Fixed.

4. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Thank you, fixed.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

so he's a fan???

6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Really lame that Jake Luhrs is all about Tim Lambesis and that his foundation supports his trash ass with a fucking video about his “change and growth”. Pretty over seeing his face and people claiming how much of a good person he is now.

y2jayjk likes this.
  7. socklord

Trusted

Very yikes to hear about Jake Luhrs

y2jayjk and tyramail like this.
  8. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I used to be a pretty big ABR fan but seeing Jake's constant public support of Tim and also doing guest vocals on a AILD song makes me super uncomfortable about him and ABR as a whole. Pretty much can't listen to them anymore without feeling gross about it. I feel the same way about any band who decides to tour with AILD. The immense positive response from fans with the return of AILD is a head scratcher for me too.

y2jayjk and tyramail like this.
  9. tyramail May 30, 2019
    (Last edited: May 30, 2019)
    tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I truly don’t get it. The fact that Jake has a foundation dedicated to people with depression and mental health adversities yet is championing for a dude who I’m sure caused so much of that, is absolutely mind boggling.

Does anyone know if his ex-wife has commented on the band’s return?

incognitojones, sonder and mattav152 like this.
  10. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

It's not super surprising, isn't that like *the* Christian thing? Accept people as they are, regardless of their past, etc

11. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

But like, you don’t need to be accepted and heal in the public eye.

Anna Acosta and sonder like this.
  12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I think forgiveness is an important thing for everyone to work on within themselves and with others, but I agree that he shouldn't be back in the band and touring after the shit he pulled. Fuck him and the rest of those guys, I'm disappointed in them quite a bit.

Anna Acosta and incognitojones like this.
  13. K0ta

I don't see publicly forgiving and enabling a guy who tried to get his wife killed and now wants to continue working from his influential public platform as a good thing, but I'm not a Christian so maybe I just don't get it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

To be clear, I didn't mean for fans or people here need to forgive him at all. That should be something he works hard as hell on to earn from people in his life, not randoms on the internet.

15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

People seem to think they’re using him as an inspiration to heal. I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you’re supposed to heal by using your abuser as inspo.

incognitojones likes this.
  16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that's truly fucked up and wrong.

incognitojones and tyramail like this.
  17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Bottom line, his healing is not anything I give a shit about and it doesn’t need to be in the public eye. He can fuck off.

18. This one really stings. This band was my first everything.

Contender likes this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I mean didn't they have a primarily underage fanbase and encourage bras and panties to be thrown on the stage? Wasn't that their schtick

EDIT:
    Oh I didn't see the rest of the thread. Yeah they've always been super sketchy with shit like that. I assume they were trying to follow the blink 182 "boobies" joke but most of their fans were like preteens so it was just very gross

20. Yeah he just seems very predatory and I don't think the other members of the band are really on THAT level.

21. K0ta May 30, 2019
    (Last edited: May 30, 2019)
    K0ta

This is so gross and I feel like it's something people have just accepted about him but don't really challenge. I was conditioned in the male-dominated friends group I grew up in to think it was okay for them to make jokes at the expense of my body and sexuality and I realized that it was incredibly damaging, but it took me a long time to get there. I feel like it's pretty common for women in male-dominated anything to deal with this kind of behavior and to accept it as normal because otherwise it means challenging the fundamental of an entire group dynamic and nobody ever told us it wasn't normal or showed us anything other than that. We could talk about pop-punk writ large in this case but ATL's fanbase in particular are young, impressionable girls (I was one at one point) who accepted this kind of behavior because nobody told us it wasn't okay. Honestly that's why it is so important to always be calling this kind of stuff out because there are girls growing up right now being conditioned to think their breasts are the punch line, which can develop into this feeling of a lack of autonomy over one's over body! At the very least there is no 14 year old girl who needs to be complimented on her breasts under any circumstances, it's disgusting and I for one basically can't wait for the ATL/Waterparks/etc. type of we're zany and crude! and it's part of our charm! boy band thing to die.

22. laraheart

So many responses to the Jack Barakat thing on that Twitter thread completely disregard the power dynamic between bands and their fans. If your idol who you have a fan account of etc asks you to take your bra off, it's not the same as some random kid in your class asking. So disgusting how these guys are abusing their platforms

sonder, Contender, ChaseTx and 2 others like this.
  23. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

ATL has rubbed me the wrong way for years for exactly this. Would love any one person defending them to explain how they “have bras thrown at them to donate money to charity” because it seems like they could just do that without asking preteens to do that. Not sure how used bras translate to money either.

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I know I’ve mentioned the Abigail Breslin thing here before and had it dismissed. I feel like all of this has been out there for so long, but I’m happy for it to come to light again now.

25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

What did Jack do?