Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 249

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

"Both personally and through our attorneys"

sophos34 likes this.
  2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yeah i mean not too sure why they would mention lawyers are involved, thats not gonna make anybody feel better about the situation.

3. Fair enough if they feel like the accused member of their band needs to leave (more than the likes of Don Broco ever did for example) but it also sounds like they rushed to get lawyers involved, which... yikes.

4. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

It’s an interesting statement because just reading the beginning, it’s kind of a plot twist that it ends with him being dropped from the group.....

ChaseTx, Anthony_, ItsAndrew and 2 others like this.
  5. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Iirc, this happened to Devil You Know when they kicked out the drummer, they had to change the name because he had part ownership of the original name.

6. Certainly can be true *but* taking this specifically in reference to the Hey Violet situation, as I understand it he's a newer member so there's no way to know exactly how involved or what level of ownership he actually has in the band itself. I'd be very, very surprised if he was legally considered an owner or an equal. (Doesn't mean he isn't, just... I would be shocked.)

7. And that's also fair, there's just too much information we don't have for us to make that call either way.

Looping back to the general convo though: with all that said, I'm glad they're removing him.

8. teel

Regular

9. atlas

Trusted

"but, like, she didn't die dude"

RazorCrusade likes this.
  10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

RazorCrusade likes this.
  11. chris

Trusted Supporter

"basically nothing happened" is certainly a take

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The amount of people who don’t consider/understand that attempting a crime is itself a serious crime, often just as serious as actually carrying one out, never ceases to astound me.

jkauf, CarpetElf, ItsAndrew and 9 others like this.
  13. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

statement could've been cut down to "look man pedaltonecore hasn't been in since 08 and at this point we're desperate for any half decent tours"

14. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

she keeps platforming abusers fuck her

Ken, maryp1603, dadbolt and 4 others like this.
  17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

She's the worst.

18. Martina Apr 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2019)
    Martina

Regular

There is a small social media storm blowing up today over reports that Ariana Grande was paid much more to play Coachella this year than Beyonce was paid to play last year, maybe twice as much. That report has been challenged or contradicted by story at the following link which says that the two artists were paid basically about the same we're playing both weekends.

Ariana Grande Got Paid the EXACT Same Amount for Coachella as Beyoncé Did

I'm posting this here because I haven't found a thread yet created specifically for this story and it does fit sort of under the umbrella of accountability or social responsibility. It's also interesting to get whatever insight one can into the complicated and secretive world of contracts for compensation and such for artists of this scale.

My take on it is that it is mostly a social media storm which is blowing up to benefit the respective online encampments of both artists and the media machinery associated with Coachella. They all deserve recognition and respect for their achievements but if even if I were a committed fan in any of the related camps I wouldn't think this was a particularly good way to do it.

I'm personally into artists who are vastly smaller in their market capitalization and I have to wonder as much about the media covering a music industry that pays artists four or eight or however many millions of dollars for two performances at a festival like Coachella, however impressive it is.

Watching PR squalls like makes me feel like the people feel who are watching millionaires and billionaires pledging vast sums of money to rebuild the Notre Dame cathedral. I wonder if those billionaires or these millionaires have that kind of money in play if those same resources could somehow be distributed or spent more equitably to benefit society as a whole, including dealing with issues like racism and sexism which are supposed to be behind the concerns of people who are saying what artist should have been paid more or less or the same as the other.

Gallhammer likes this.
  19. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

From Absinthe Father/This Band Fucks

99FB5E96-FCF9-4925-8D19-42D5358B91AF.png

20. atlas

Trusted

Ick. Do they just not know that JJR is not a good dude?

Carrow likes this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Handguns tweeted about them too. Wasn’t pagano from AP in that band?

Wharf Rat and Carrow like this.
  22. Yes.

23. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

He’s not in the current iteration of the band tho

24. That band absolutely does not fuck.

25. US Camera

A Humble Snail Prestigious

He left the band around the same time JJR came back aboard