Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 211

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Ben Lee Feb 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 14, 2019)
    Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Looks like it came off Apple Music as well.

Attached Files:

Carrow likes this.
  2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I totally forgot FOB did that EP with him...

3. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

4. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Good riddance to Ryan Adams' career!

[​IMG]

5. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Wrote a thing on Twitter.

6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

mattfreaksmeout, Carrow and ChaseTx like this.
  8. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I haven't been paying too much attention to this story because I have no clue who the fuck Ryan Adams is, but a lot of these things I'm hearing is making me really sad about how deeply toxic & gated the industry is for women.

Carrow likes this.

9. Phoebe with a statement

10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

11. jdr2187

jdr2187

12. Ben Lee

Todd (Ryan Adams guitar player) has jumped ship on him too. Good riddance dude!

ChaseTx and Matt Metzler like this.
  13. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Glad he spoke up, although throwing in that his life has become a "complete shitstorm" due to this and that he's "afraid for the safety of his family" is a little much. I doubt his life is in any way, shape, or form as deeply affected by this as those of the women involved. Pro-tip: if you don't want your life to be a "complete shitstorm," don't continue to associate with dudes like Ryan Adams, especially when he basically admits here that he'd heard all about this stuff but chose to believe Ryan's denials instead. Again, I'm glad he spoke up, but I hope he recognizes that he was part of the problem to some extent by standing by his guy for so long.

Anna Acosta, Joe4th, LWS and 3 others like this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

incognitojones, Omni and ItsAndrew like this.
  15. Ben Lee

Completely agree.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

K0ta and LWS like this.
  17. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

My heart really breaks for these amazing women but seeing them speak out and support each other is lovely.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

ChaseTx likes this.
    CarpetElf likes this.
  20. While I'm not naive enough to be surprised, I REALLY want to know the publication that allowed this.

Borat, CarpetElf, Aregala and 3 others like this.
  21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I second this. I'm not surprised, but I really want to know.

CarpetElf likes this.
  22. Martina Feb 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 19, 2019)
    Martina

Regular

The quote in NYT podcast at 7:25 says this verbatim: "When she first started speaking out against him in interviews, one was printed, and whoever from Ryan's team made a backchannel call to that website and basically had her comments about him removed from the internet." I suppose they are referring to a web-only article but it could also mean it actually was "printed" and then some comments were removed from an internet version of the story.

I think a better way to ask the question of what publication would do this is to ask what publication are we sure wouldn't allow this, or do this, since this sort of "backchannel" manipulation has been known to have happened in other cases, especially if legal action is threatened or intimated.

The NYT does not clearly say legal action was threatened or implied, but especially if Phoebe Bridges had "first started speaking out against him in interviews" like the quote says it would be easier for Ryan's people to say that what she is saying is outright false or incorrect and to use their influence to get her comments about him removed from publication.

This happened with Austin Jones, a one-man act who was vastly smaller than Ryan Adams but still people in the music scene were reaching out on his behalf of him to YouTubers who spoke out against him, but really speaking more to their own business interests. Calls and emails went out to Damon Fizzy and (if I recall correctly) the guy who runs Pup Fresh. Both were quoting girls who they personally verified had reported Austin harassing them, but still some people associated with Austin Jones and also Warped Tour either downplayed or more or less said the YouTubers who were speaking out would be vulnerable to a lawsuit if they kept reporting what they were being told by verifiable witness / alleged victims.

We can surely say this is unethical and depending how it is done maybe even illegal, but this is probably one common way this happens, and I wonder if it may be one reason the press siezes so strongly on stories like Mandy Moore and Phoebe Bridges. After a story like theirs really breaks many outlets repeat the same story over and over with the smallest of changes or editorial takes on it rather than (1) digging deeper into the story and reporting on the enablers that Mandy and Phoebe and others are all but begging us to be wary of, or (2) reporting just as in-depth on other stories of lesser known artists or non-musicians in the music scene who are doing things that are just as bad or worse.