Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 210

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Martina your posts always read like you're trying to derive some hidden meaning from these things but I think it's way more simple to understand- you give a person a ton of social capital, and actual capital, if you mix that with a charming personality and selfish intentions, it's pretty easy to see how Ryan Adams was able to prey on people for so long.

stars143 likes this.
  2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Abuse is a power issue, even men with politics you agree with can and will abuse power to exploit people

Ken, Joe4th and tyramail like this.
  3. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Off topic, but wasn’t even that mired in controversy because he stole the pedal design from something/someone?

ryanfears likes this.
  4. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I hope every shitty musician is in abject fear right now.

EASheartsVinyl, Mary V, PauLo and 6 others like this.
  5. Careful, you'll accidentally start the #NotAllShittyMusicians movement

Henry, DarkHotline, Essie and 13 others like this.
  6. Martina Feb 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 14, 2019)
    Martina

Regular

I said clearly that "guys like this can act out who come from any political orientation or genre". WIth that and all else I wrote above I don't think I could have been more clear in saying I wasn't implying guys who aren't conservative are less likely to abuse.

It's well known there is more domestic abuse in red states ( Violence against women...Top 10 states (more red states have high rates of violence against women) ), overall more family dysfunction in red states ( Opinion | Blue States Practice the Family Values Red States Preach ), higher rates of suicide and less effort made to get mental health care, and all of this has been known and it's regularly considered by professionals working on these issues since long before Trump got elected (America's red state crisis). I'd give more examples if it would help but I think if I did it would sound like I'm trying to get people here to sympathize with people who live there. Seriously. Take a second look at the reaction a half dozen or more people have had here in the space of like 20 minutes. I work in social services, I share my continued involvement in advocacy in the music scene with collegues including what I get out of what I read and post here.

Politics, faith, race, socioeconomic status, numerous personal and environmental factors can create a mindset, an enabling environment in which abuse is more easily tolerated or covered up, where abusers feel freer to act out and victims less likely to assert themselves, try to get away, or ask for help. That seems likely part of the reason why there is a lot more of a problem with sexual abuse by Catholic priests than Unitarian ministers (more than just the fact that nearly all Catholic priests are men and today most Unitarian ministers are women), though on the average I don't believe being Catholic makes a priest more likely to abuse anymore than being Unitarian makes a minister any less likely.

The links I gave above similarly are examples of that. It's about as clear of a correlation as one can make with numerous peer reviewed studies to back it up. A correlation doesn't mean there's a causal relationship, but if one is an advocate looking for support for an evidence-based response to the causes these are some of the questions one would be asking to figure out what all is and do the best one can in response.

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

"Well, actually, even non-shitty musicians can be problematic too so I don't really appreciate the implication here, my favorite shitty musician is fine blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"

Ken, Anna Acosta and CarpetElf like this.
  8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'm not really equipped to do this today so I'm going to see myself out until this latest round is over.

9. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I don’t mean to sound condescending, but this is definitely one of the less shocking revelations to me. Adams has always seemed like an unstable, vindictive, and immature guy. But I still listened to his records, so I guess I’m as guilty of brushing away my suspicions as anyone else.

sophos34 likes this.
  10. If you feel so strongly about this, ask Ryan Adams what his political affiliations are directly. It would probably be a lot more productive than this strange need to explain how abuse gets enacted and enabled to someone like @personalmaps who is a survivor that spends an inordinate amount of time discussing these issues, and has a very solid understanding of them.

awwgereee, sophos34, Mary V and 5 others like this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Liz is legit an influential genius unlike some people

Kingjohn_654, Eclipse and cherrywaves like this.
  16. mesi

Regular

incognitojones and Carrow like this.
  17. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

18. sonder, Omni, incognitojones and 5 others like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I am so furious for Mandy omfg

21. big colors has been pulled from Ryan adams' web store

22. Looks like he won't be releasing it after all, which when you really think about it is just *chef kiss*:ok::ok::ok::ok:

mattfreaksmeout and Joe4th like this.
  23. and his two other albums as well

mattfreaksmeout and SaveTheEarth like this.
  24. mattfreaksmeout and CarpetElf like this.
  25. he deserves much worse but also I know what you mean haha

Anna Acosta, CarpetElf and Carrow like this.