Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 205

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

With a net worth of $50 million lol

2. ArmsLikeTeeth Feb 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2019)
    I don't care about them or their band but this is a not garbage statement.

*edit: pronouns.

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, and I don't want to speak out of turn since I've never experienced assault, but that seems like a pretty good statement.

4. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

There it is.

incognitojones, sophos34 and Carrow like this.
  5. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

What the actual fuck.

When Adams began corresponding online with a fan, Ava, in 2013, she was a 14-year-old bass player already forging a career.

But their correspondence about music turned into graphic texting. Eventually, Ava said, they conducted video calls on Skype, where Adams exposed himself during phone sex.

The Times has reviewed extensive communication between the two, including 3,217 text messages they exchanged over a nine-month period when Ava was 15 and 16. (The Times is identifying Ava, now 20, by her middle name because she was a minor during their online relationship. They never met in person.)

In the texts, Adams questioned Ava repeatedly about her age, and sometimes she said she was older than she was. Though he did not seem convinced, their sexual conversations continued. “i would get in trouble if someone knew we talked like this,” Adams wrote to her in November 2014.

Carrow likes this.
  6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

7. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Oh Jesus.

8. This is a stunningly stark description of the fallacy in "separate the art from the artist".

All the art lost because of behavior like this.

9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Massively important point here, and thank you so much for raising it.

KalValor likes this.
  10. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Wow

11. Got out from a Wonder Years show here in Madrid to see it's dropped, and... looks like my writer friend was right. Woof.

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

The audacity of saying Mandy Moore who has been in the music industry since she was 15 isn't a real musician

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Carrow likes this.
  14. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i'm anticipating him blaming it on addiction like how he admitted that he didn't remember getting married to mandy moore because he was so blasted

KalValor, Aregala, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Ryan Adams has always been such a huge piece of shit. Hope he gets what he deserves

16. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

Not sure what the “separating” phrase has to do with this — Ryan’s actions are undeniably shitty and suppressed multiple talented artists from being known, but what does that have to do with people’s ability to still enjoy his music despite that?

17. zmtr

Trusted

“I never see pics of you anymore,” Adams wrote in November 2014, when he had just turned 40 and Ava was newly 16. “You were blowing my mind.” He had pet names for her body parts.

Days later, Adams expressed anxiety: “If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley lol,” he wrote.

Yet within 10 minutes, the conversation again turned explicit. “I just want you to touch your nipple,” he texted, before again asking about her age. “And tell me that your mom is not gonna kill me if she finds out we even text.”

Oh my fucking GOD.

18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Oh good we're gonna do that

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

His most popular song is about how a girl screwed him over and cheated on him all the while he was the asshole

KalValor, Carrow and stars143 like this.
  20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Guess I’m about to delete his shit from my library.

21. And the entire article is about him using his "art" as a vehicle to abuse multiple women.

22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Honestly thought this was like already pretty well known but I guess I'm thinking of it being well known he was a dick to Mandy Moore without the greater detail we have here.

Absolutely heart breaking to hear that he took away young the desire to even continue creating art from young musicians, on top of just the terrible situation he put them in to begin with. And no matter what way you frame it you can't get around the underage stuff. Hilarious to see his lawyer try to deny it as the Times includes the messages alongside it.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  23. You tell me. How does one go about separating deeply personal art from the person who wrote it? How are they unrelated? And when that person is revealed to be deeply toxic and dishonest in their narratives, especially concerning narratives written about the artists whose art we'll never hear... how do you separate that?

No one will ever get to separate the art from these artists, because his art (since that's what gave him access to them) effectively squashed theirs.

Dassit. Enjoy whatever you enjoy, I really don't care. I'm just not interested in creating a world where people don't have to be honest with themselves about who and what they're supporting.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Aregala and sophos34 like this.