Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

this is getting out of control. not like it already wasn't but, jesus.

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

They're not really part of the "scene" but the entire death metal band Decapitated was recently brought up on charges of kidnapping and gang rape.

swboyd and thenewtypetheory like this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

What did Eddie Hermida of Suicide Silence/All Shall Perish do/get accused of?

5. cwhit

something with a 17 year old, she took down the post from what i heard because of harassment

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I can't find anything about it anywhere. If you happen to see anything anywhere, please let me know.

7. cwhit

all i got is quotes from posts here.

suicidesaints likes this.
  8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks.

9. cwhit

10. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, she deleted her post after lots of harassment and backlash. She posted this afterwards.

Edit: I see her statement was linked on Twitter above.

11. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Someone posted a while back in the SciFi thread about Nothing But Thieves too I believe. And depending on how far we're going back, Ian Watkins is definitely a name to be included.

Cgarnsay likes this.
  12. Thanks for making this thread, shameful it's come to this though.

13. jjnunn118 Nov 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2017)
    jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Hey, I think it might he be a good idea to not post things like this without a source post. This isn't an attack on you, I just remember the Boycott Pure Noise turning pretty toxic and hostile because people would post similar "I think I heard" posts, and providing context for the accusations might help prevent that from happening again.

Again, this isn't an attack on you, I'm pretty sure we're all on the same team here. I'm just thinking of ways to be proactive and keep this thread from turning into the shit show it was on AP

Edit: btw, here's some of the Nothing But Thieves allegations

cwhit likes this.
  14. cwhit

yup. that was why i was worried about this thread starting in the first place. hopefully we can talk more about how to be productive and progress as a scene rather than point fingers

15. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  16. Jamie Dagg

Totally get that- not here to start rumours. Definitely agree we don't want this getting toxic. I mentioned NBT because it came up recently.

Commenting on anything to progress the scene, though, I think we need to find a way to break down the power dynamics. Stop bands being put on pedestals, change the prestige bands are seen to have so that no matter how they're seen, they're just people. I get that it's a difficult balance to get between security for bands against their fans and having fans and bands on the same level, but it needs to happen.
    By the way, I'm not suggesting I have the answers as to how this can be done- power imbalance is an issue engrained in the music industry, particularly live music as it's compounded with being in such a close proximity with so many people in a 'lesser power' position making people feel closer than they are. But a breakdown of that relationship is key.

17. Jamie Dagg

Not to try to disbelieve the victim, but is this the one that was retracted because she thought she was actually being catfished? Or is this another account?

18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Can we talk about All Time Low in here? I've been seeing a lot of finger pointing at them, largely based around comments they make on stage considering their largely underage audience, and the whole thing with them asking for bras on stage. I don't feel that this is anywhere near as serious as some of this stuff where there is actual abuse of specific people, but I'm also not sure if my judgment is clouded because of how much the band means to me/it's easier to write off as just a joke. I don't know I guess I just want some discussion about where the line is on something like this, and I'm not really comfortable doing it on Twitter because of how quickly hostile things can turn there.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

I think you’re forgetting (or weren’t aware of) their constant stage banter between Jack and Alex of blow jobs and various other sex acts. I guess the same could be said of Blink, but I think it’s something I’ve become more aware of as I’ve grown older and seen their young fan base eat it up.

20. I don’t think the All Time Low stuff really applies as much. I’ve seen them a lot of times, and I’ve noticed the dialogue is less and less sexually charged with every album they make. I think it’s something that just stuck with them from when they were younger.

21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

That's what I meant by comments they make on stage. I guess I'm just questioning if, while certainly inappropriate, this should really put them in the same category as actual abusers. And I know there's not necessarily an "answer" here.

maryp1603 and ryanfears like this.
  22. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

This seems relevant to have here. It’s not just the artists, but also their enablers.

23. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I think “jock talk” and abuse are very different problems, but that it can feed into abuse and can also keep abusers feeling welcome/vindicated. As grown men with a young, largely female audience, I do think ATL has a responsibility to move on and grow up from their behavior. It’s not 2007 anymore. Not that it was ever cool or good, but there are certainly no excuses to still be acting like that when there are so many resources available to learn to be better.

24. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

All Time Low situation is weird because in recent years the stage banter has turned me off seeing them live, as has the underage girls throwing their bras on stage. But I also remember the band giving an interview where they talked about how they wanted their fans to stop doing that but don't know how to get it to stop without angering their fan base (really weird argument, just tell them to stop), and that they had started donating $1 for every bra thrown on stage to breast cancer research.

Course now I can't find any record of those statements so who knows? I haven't been to any of their shows in years though because of the weird sexual nature of the show and the underage crowd

25. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I found this