Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 188

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Cis men seem to view consent as "what she'll let me do" and not as "what she actively wants to do". It's the root of the problem imo. It's why they believe there can be grey area about consent - it's not about whether she wants to, because that isn't important. It's about whether she'll let you.

2. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

incognitojones likes this.
  3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Exactly spot on.

Chickenmcbringinits likes this.
  4. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

It's so crazy to me that grown-ass men think this way. I'll admit, as a dumb teenager I thought that way, because it was kind of the norm. But I've since way grown out of that mindset, and try my best to pull others out of it.

Not really a consent thing but when I'm raving about a band with a female member, the first thing out of the mouths of some grown men I know is still "Is she hot?" to which I always reply with "Irrelevant". Shit grosses me out.

Idk that just happened at a holiday party last night I was at so it's fresh in my mind and needed to vent about that for a sec.

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

It’s kind of baffling that a lot of them think this way, yet I can think of several scenarios, that if placed in, they would have absolutely no doubt in their mind what consent is.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

7. tshreve

Metalicca

8. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

This article was published today. Considering it's extensive and from the Huffington Post, I figured it was worth sharing.

9. tshreve

Metalicca

Yeah I gotcha, I just think it’s crazy that stuff is still coming out after all this time

10. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i really hope something happens after huffpost picking it up. registering as a sex offender or go to jail, i don't know but there are way too many disgusting stories about this dude.

The singer still makes music, sells merchandise and interacts with fans, but his touring days may be over for good. Members of the “garbagecore” Facebook group are quick to contact venues where BOTDF is scheduled to play to alert them about the allegations and pressure them to kill the shows.

heroes

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Didn’t the band break up though? (BOTDF)

12. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i think it's just dahvie or whatever but he's still active according to youtube and instagram

13. broken22

(:

That story from New Year's Day merch guy should have had Dahvie in jail forever.

14. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

The thing with Dahvie is that when he was originally messing with teenagers, this scene was even more garbage than it was currently and turned a crying 13 year old and her well-meaning but out of his depth dad into a fucking meme. That wouldn’t happen today (I hope) but that’s probably why he continued to get away with it. Tons of people thought it was just funny and weird. It was peak Is Anyone Up? bullshit era.

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh my god, the "you done goofed" meme was about Dahvie's child abuse?? Sometimes I feel so weird about growing up online 24/7 but on the periphery of most of the context for this kind of thing. I had no idea that was the origin and that's what he was responding to. That's so gross.

16. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

I didn’t even know about that fact, but it’s readily available. Jessi Slaughter | Know Your Meme

It’s so odd that millions of people have likely used that phrase a lot, and not realized that it originated with this.

17. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

jesus christ i forgot all about that

Joe4th and Jason Tate like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Buzzfeed caught up with them a few years back and it was interesting but sad
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/how-the-internet-failed-jessi-slaughter
    2010: The Years That Changed The Internet | Internet Explorer | WNYC

19. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Idk if I ever knew about that or if maybe I just forgot since I was a little younger then/it was so long ago but holy shit that is all so incredibly sad. I hope this newer story puts an end to Dahvie

20. teel

Regular

21. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

This tweet sucks but I also laughed for five minutes straight

Anna Acosta and ryanfears like this.
  22. I shouldn't laugh at that but also I accidentally snorted Snapple up my nose so here we are

tyramail likes this.
  23. btr

Trusted Supporter

Eclipse and tyramail like this.
  24. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

This is......... this is....... wow.

EDIT
    I never come on here anymore, honestly because after the pinegrove thing a switch flipped in my brain and I just stopped giving a shit about this scene or its music. It wasn't on purpose, I wasn't trying to do it, my brain just said "stop. I'm not interested in this anymore". But I still follow people from the scene and seeing this shit just confirms I did the right thing by moving on. It's never going to be good. Ever.

chris and Contender like this.
  25. ???????

(Confused by his ramblings once again)