Accountability in Music • Page 186

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Nah, but I was hoping that people would have an decent conversation about the topic at hand. But it's a lot of personal bullshit & I'm fucking exhausted just reading this stuff.

2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

If you think you're exhausted just imagine how tired women are from having this conversation over and over again!

3. personalmaps

formerly kaylasananjou Supporter

To bring us back on topic...

What he said originally was stupid and exactly the kind of thing that's put me off this band for years. However, a thread like this, while still clumsy, is more than most dudes in Our Scene have done in years and years of being assholes about women, race, genre, etc. I'm not trying to give him a cookie for doing the right thing, but this is another thing I've noticed that's different about their press cycle this album- a genuine care for how his words might impact his fans. I would be hard pressed to think of any man in any band I've interacted with in the past few years giving this kind of apology for what's quoted in the article. Especially since I've personally been told to fuck off or be quiet when calling out similar behavior.

4. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

To be very frank, the demographic of this site and the internet as a whole is very white and male and that fact alone makes it difficult to have a productive conversation without someone of privilege coming out of the woodwork and finding a way to nitpick. If we want to have an accountability thread, I'm afraid entitled men are a reality we have to deal with.

KidLightning likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

make my wish come true Prestigious

We can't if people are just automatically like " other people are doing worse things " the second you bring up being disappointed in someone

Like duh saying dumb things and being ignorant that the music industry is dominated by dudes isn't the same as abuse but it's still something we need to talk about if things are going to improve

Anna Acosta likes this.
  6. Anna Acosta

Listen to Staircase Spirits. Moderator

Sums up my feelings nicely. 100% agreed.

personalmaps likes this.
  7. Anna Acosta

Listen to Staircase Spirits. Moderator

I hear you and please believe that it's even more exhausting to live this crap. But there's no objective way to navigate subjects that are inherently personal.

Blink182Bouncer and Carrow like this.
  8. TriangularDuck

Regular

supernovagirl likes this.
  9. Eclipse

Regular

I feel like with the twitter thread it did own up to some of the denying sexism in rock and roll but did not touch on the whole quote saying rock was somehow more progressive then hip hop scenes which has s lot of implications on its own (or that drugs aren’t also still a problem in rock even if it takes different forms now)

10. Eclipse

Regular

do wanna follow up and say that he made a tweet about that part too separate from the thread of the other tweets, glad he got to that too

OotyPa likes this.
  11. xapplexpiex

I am nobody Prestigious

No

12. xapplexpiex

I am nobody Prestigious

13. Matt Metzler

anberlinforever.com Prestigious

Many Rooms is taking the douchebag from Better Off on tour with her for the Copeland tour that was just announced. Really disappointing that Copeland would bring people like this out on tour with them, although realistically I doubt they even know about this.

For the unaware, see earlier in this thread (https://forum.chorus.fm/posts/2025952) and this gem of a tweet:

14. Kiana

You look like bad news, I gotta have you Prestigious

like even putting ethics and morals and everything I stand for a side somehow, I do not get the unwavering loyalty. I know it's what allows rape culture to fester but i guess I'm just extremely unloyal of a friend but I would not throw myself on a sword for anybody like that. I had a good friend accused of racism once and was like

200.gif

Arry, dadbolt, OotyPa and 2 others like this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Prestigious

tbh not holding your friends accountable makes you a shitty friend. you’re more interested in social capital than actually helping people around you do better

16. Anthony_

A Dork

I couldn't imagine defending someone who committed assault or was openly racist or anything like that. No matter how much I love someone, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. It's one thing to help someone who is genuinely remorseful and attempting to rehabilitate along on that process, it's another thing entirely to enable the behavior by either explicitly or implicitly condoning it. Especially in public/with a platform.

Also this ^^^

ChaseTx likes this.
  17. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I personally feel that you’re able to hold someone accountable and remain by their side without it meaning you condone their actions.

I guess I just do feel that “unwavering loyalty” Kiana mentioned, in certain situations.

I just think these conversations are always soo black and white and no one wants to hear “things of this nature are very gray”

18. xapplexpiex

I am nobody Prestigious

19. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I can support productive change while also not giving someone their platform back like it was nothing. No thanks, AILD.

Arry, Jake W, Mary V and 3 others like this.
  20. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Do I think they deserve a platform? No.
    Am I glad that (if true), since they do have one, they are trying to facilitate change and use that platform for good? Yeah absolutely. So many people are given second (or millionth) chances and they keep doing the same thing or sweep it under the rug. I genuinely hope they do all of that and actively work to do better and to atone for their actions.

I also of course sincerely hope all of that is genuine and not just PR

21. teel

Regular

Looks like Pinegrove should be hiring a guy who tried to kill his wife to write their public statements

22. tshreve

Metalicca

Holy shit lol

23. Matt Metzler

anberlinforever.com Prestigious

[​IMG]

KidLightning likes this.
  24. incognitojones

www.notlovely.com Supporter