Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 186

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Eclipse

Regular

I feel like with the twitter thread it did own up to some of the denying sexism in rock and roll but did not touch on the whole quote saying rock was somehow more progressive then hip hop scenes which has s lot of implications on its own (or that drugs aren’t also still a problem in rock even if it takes different forms now)

2. Eclipse

Regular

do wanna follow up and say that he made a tweet about that part too separate from the thread of the other tweets, glad he got to that too

OotyPa likes this.
  3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

No

4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

5. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Many Rooms is taking the douchebag from Better Off on tour with her for the Copeland tour that was just announced. Really disappointing that Copeland would bring people like this out on tour with them, although realistically I doubt they even know about this.

For the unaware, see earlier in this thread (https://forum.chorus.fm/posts/2025952) and this gem of a tweet:

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

like even putting ethics and morals and everything I stand for a side somehow, I do not get the unwavering loyalty. I know it's what allows rape culture to fester but i guess I'm just extremely unloyal of a friend but I would not throw myself on a sword for anybody like that. I had a good friend accused of racism once and was like

200.gif

leerkat, Anna Acosta, Arry and 4 others like this.
  7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

tbh not holding your friends accountable makes you a shitty friend. you’re more interested in social capital than actually helping people around you do better

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I couldn't imagine defending someone who committed assault or was openly racist or anything like that. No matter how much I love someone, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. It's one thing to help someone who is genuinely remorseful and attempting to rehabilitate along on that process, it's another thing entirely to enable the behavior by either explicitly or implicitly condoning it. Especially in public/with a platform.

Also this ^^^

ChaseTx likes this.
  9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I personally feel that you’re able to hold someone accountable and remain by their side without it meaning you condone their actions.

I guess I just do feel that “unwavering loyalty” Kiana mentioned, in certain situations.

I just think these conversations are always soo black and white and no one wants to hear “things of this nature are very gray”

Connor, Anthony_, sophos34 and 2 others like this.
  10. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

11. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I can support productive change while also not giving someone their platform back like it was nothing. No thanks, AILD.

12. supernovagirl

Do I think they deserve a platform? No.
    Am I glad that (if true), since they do have one, they are trying to facilitate change and use that platform for good? Yeah absolutely. So many people are given second (or millionth) chances and they keep doing the same thing or sweep it under the rug. I genuinely hope they do all of that and actively work to do better and to atone for their actions.

I also of course sincerely hope all of that is genuine and not just PR

13. teel

Regular

Looks like Pinegrove should be hiring a guy who tried to kill his wife to write their public statements

14. tshreve

Metalicca

Holy shit lol

15. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

[​IMG]

KidLightning likes this.
  16. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

17. Martina Dec 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 14, 2018)
    Martina

Regular

Whatever you read or hear from their social media accounts surely is PR and may also be genuine, as you say, but can we agree there is a difference between them playing a few small venues to an adult audience and maybe a tour of twelve step thearpy sessions and this? I’d also like to think there would be something more done that could be done about them playing all ages shows and festivals.

Also, is the first time AILD has announced plans to make a big donation to Heartsupport?

Maybe they’ve talked more about Heartsupport but all I could find easily on a search is this article from earlier this year after news broke of their reunion:

https://blog.heartsupport.com/how-d...-tim-lambesis-and-as-i-lay-dying-c4532c7a15fa

I think Heartsupport has done some good but this is also an example how nonprofits are involved in supporting problematic artists under the cover of therapy, and getting what smay be a quid pro quo of compensation for it. Wanna bet if we got another Front Porch Step they’d try to make a comeback with a pledge to some abuse or harassment charity?

sophos34 likes this.
  18. RE: Many Rooms... I just absolutely do not will not can not and will never believe loyalty means re-victimizing the people your friend has hurt. If you love your friend, you want them to be better and there's a ground between "abandon and publicly shame them" and "my friend is innocent and screw you all". You're not loyal if you believe your friends are above reproach. You're a sycophant.

And as far as AILD goes... as a domestic abuse survivor I don't really care what Tim Lambesis does. He could've rededicated his life to good in ways that didn't involve a public and painful platform for other survivors or personal gains for himself. He didn't. And this isn't some theoretical - it happened and a jury said it happened.

It will never not disgust me. Yes, I'm biased as someone who has loved, been friends with and looked up to violent men who have continued to be supported, and no, I'm not sorry.

CarpetElf, K0ta, dadbolt and 16 others like this.
  19. supernovagirl

Yeah I want to be clear that I deff am disgusted and do not agree with him having a platform to begin with. I’m just saying that in this hellscape we live in, where he DOES have a platform, I’m glad at least something positive might come from it. I’m still completely angered by the situation as a whole.

CoffeeEyes17, mad and Anna Acosta like this.
  20. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I just don’t know why it wouldn’t occur to someone like Tim Lambesis to take this opportunity to disappear. Your message doesn’t mean a thing Tim, because you thoughtfully and meticulously carried out an intentionally violent plan, all while claiming moral superiority. If you’ve changed, go be a monk somewhere. Find a way to give back instead of continuing to take, which is transparently and exactly what this is.

Jake W, K0ta, ihaveblink and 6 others like this.
  21. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

22. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Ik no one cares about them, but I'm super glad they decided to do this.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

24. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

instead of posting on some forums that you are disappointed in copeland have you tried messaging Aaron and educating him on what is going on? Manchester orchestra put a band on the black mile tour with a complicated past and once people reached out to them they were taken off and replaced with All Get Out.

Connor likes this.