Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Music • Page 182

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Understandable, that makes sense.

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I feel like the Pete thing gets discussed a lot and like already said it boils down to her not wanting to discuss it and move on. I think if she wrote a statement talking about abuse and stuff it'd have more of a reaction. Or I'd like to think it would. I think it helps too that off the top of my head FOB doesn't have songs with the violent lyrical content like their old ones anymore which suggests they have learned imo. If they were still writing songs like that I'd like to think they'd be dragged for that too. It'd be nice if they spoke up more about their past stuff like Hayley has been made to tho.

ItsAndrew and Jason Tate like this.
  3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Not disagreeing with anything you are saying, but has she publicly stated that she wishes to move on? I don’t remember ever hearing about such a statement.

I do think regardless it is brave of her to be able to want to just move past it all.

4. Kiana

I don't wanna butcher or misquote but iirc people have reached out and she's said something to that effect.

5. It’s in this thread.

ItsAndrew and sophos34 like this.
  6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Kiana

I do think sometimes certain people get away with more depending on how much social capital they possess. If they've burned lots of bridges with their behavior I think they're more likely to get torn down vs someone with a "nice" reputation. Like actors with woody Allen because he's allegedly enjoyable to work with so they can distance themselves and pretend it's a gray area because he was nice to them, and some ppl don't understand that lots of awful ppl are charming and nice to ppl they aren't abusing. That is the thing about abuse is its very deliberate, intentional, and planned. People act like it's an impulse control issue and the abuser would be treating everyone that badly if they were rly an abuser which... Isn't how it works

Anyway I do agree with the initial post in a sense that some people do get away with more things and I think that largely depends on the social capital and if their community decides to rally around them

8. :up: something I always worry I enable

KidLightning likes this.
  9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I have some thoughts on all this but they’re all over the place and probably not worth getting into anyway. I just dk how I feel about saying it’s giving someone a pass when they aren’t cancelled (can we ban this word) immediately. Are people often given a pass undeservedly? Sure, there will always be apologists. But more often the situation is probably more complex for people than that. It probably seems like some people are given a pass more often than others based on things like awareness and the size of that persons fan base. Not everyone knows everything everyone is accused of, and they never will, and people with bigger fan bases are more likely to have more fans out of the loop. Plus, you can say Jesse Lacey was immediately cancelled but... that’s not even true. Plenty of people don’t care what he did, or decided what he did isn’t worth them dropping the band, or in most cases I’ve seen have absolutely no clue anything happened.

I guess my point is it’s all way more nuanced than giving passes and canceling, a reason why I detest those words being used

10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

This is The Point and it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot the past few years. Thank you.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  11. Eclipse

Regular

People definitely do get excused often due to social capital, as people above had said. I also think with the situation with Jesse and many others that a lot of ppl knew bits and pieces of the big picture and when it all got pieced together and they realized what they knew was bigger, it is what caused more of a (rightful) public backlash. Other ppl definitely knew everything and hid it, but a good amount of the industry has talked about knowing he was a bad person but not to that extent. I think overall society has to get better at seeing the warning signs instead of the benefit of the doubt, but that’s a culture shift that I hope has been taken place over the last year plus and will continue to

12. Eclipse

Regular

My summary there I guess is that as s community and society we put up/let go of a lot of things that men specifically but also people with large social capital do until it’s too late. I don’t know if these are the right words but it’s 9am

13. Poppy Breaks Down New Album 'Am I A Girl?' And Says She Was 'Bullied' By Grimes
    “I was kind of bullied into submission by [Grimes] and her team of self-proclaimed feminists,” she says. “We planned the song coming out months ago, and she was preventing it. I got to watch her bully songwriters into signing NDA and not taking credit for songs that they were a part of. She doesn’t practice what she preaches. It’s really upsetting to work with a female that is very outward about a topic, but behind closed doors, it’s the complete opposite. It’s actually very disheartening to people that are actually feminists and supporters of other females.”

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Everything I hear about grimes gets worse and worse

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

What the fuck is Poppy

17. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think I’m in too deep I just thought it was another pop singer and I cannot keep up

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I feel like I just started hearing about Poppy in the last month and now I’m too afraid to ask what a Poppy is.

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

My favorite baseball player Big Poppy

Eclipse, leerkat, Wharf Rat and 2 others like this.
  20. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Only Poppy that matters:
    download (1).jpg

Larry David and ChaseTx like this.
  21. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

My favorite Poppie

8EEF131B-8269-4AEC-8C2D-A81D2D2FB258.jpeg

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Poppy don't preach

Larry David, ChaseTx and bachna84 like this.
  23. Pretty massive youtube centric musician.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Interesting. Why do they refer to the guy as her “creator”?

25. Not sure, I haven't really listened or looked into it. I think @Henry may know more. I think that's who first told me about her.

OhTheWater likes this.