Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 98

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I don't understand the logic of coming into a thread like this that you never participate in just to dispute claims that you don't have conflicting information about. There are multiple people in the entertainment industry who have come out over the past few days to say that Ellen is an absolute horrible person to work for, thus creating an abusive and hostile work environment.

No one is "jump"ing on anything, no one is saying not to support her show or that she's "cancelled" or whatever. Just spreading the information provided.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Ah, I see I was wasting my time engaging in good faith. Apologies to the rest of the thread for wasting everyone else's time as well.

3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i dont participate in this thread for the very reason of the reaction im getting. Being told "to google it". So what's the point? I'm trying to have a discussion aobut the difference between hostile work enviornment and dick boss. Trying to figure out what "specifics" we should be looking out for?

Horrible person to work for. In what way?

yocoxy likes this.
  4. domotime2

engaging in good faith. all you did was tell me to google it

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

You're the one who is splitting hairs between a hostile work environment and a "dick boss", though. You brought up the dichotomy that you're asking people to define, under the guise that what Ellen has done (which we don't specifically know) is not that bad. You came in here with a bullshit argument about us simply calling out "mean people", taking away any sort of legitimacy to the claims of abuse by other people. I don't see why you'd think that you'd get a positive reaction.

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Also, the entire argument of, “Don’t talk about accountability unless someone is a COMPLETE MONSTER (also you have to prove it),” is so eye-rollingly bad and part of why this kind of behavior is allowed to fester and grow everywhere in the first place. The fact that SO much of this is just accepted as normal is exactly why it needs to be talked about and changed.

7. Anthony_

So much workplace abuse in the entertainment industry gets excused. In some ways it all goes back to the Friends writers room harassment case, really, that decision was just so bad and really set the tone for lots of things that have come out in the years since re: hostile work environments and abusive workplace practices in Hollywood. Basically letting low-level employees know that the courts do not always have their backs and giving higher-ups the go ahead to continually cross lines that they should not be allowed to.

8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I have no idea if this is what you’re speaking to but contrasting it with Letterman’s hostility made me think of the difference between open, explicit mean-spiritedness and more subtle, cutting/undermining hostility. I think the latter is often much more looked down upon because it implies dishonesty and putting on a face, whereas with the former it’s more justified for the receiving end to simply be like “well we can all see what this person is doing to me, and I don’t like it, so I won’t be put in as awkward of a position if I’m open about not wanting to deal with it.”

And being a man or women obviously doesn’t preclude you from being one or the other but even with kids/adolescents, the former is definitely more often associated with men, eg physical fights and being loud mouthed, and the latter with women, eg Mean Girls

9. domotime2

It's fine. Nevermind.

10. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

All Bosses Are Bastards tbh

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

12. Anthony_

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

14. Anthony_

15. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I was gonna comment about this yesterday. I’ve seen the same thing from time to time. I’m sure others do this as well, not saying it’s specific or unique to her, but I feel like I see it “easier” with her since she usually comes across so cheery and smiley so when this happens it really, really stands out.

(I vividly remember her doing this when all the little Kardashian kids were on and kept talking over her lol. Like I get it, kids can be annoying, but the look on her face was... more than just being a little upset it seemed lol)

tdlyon likes this.
  16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I looked up this clip hoping to see something but I really have no idea what you're talking about lol. She looked normal the whole time

17. marsupial jones

Idk maybe it wasn’t those kids or a different segment of that episode

18. Anthony_

When you’re having a normal one

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Welp

incognitojones likes this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I know he’s always been awful to some degree, but what happened recently that made it ramp up SO much?

incognitojones likes this.
  21. Anthony_

the SJWs took away his free speech

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Of course. How embarrassing for me.

CarpetElf and Anthony_ like this.
  23. Anthony_

Now he also cannot wait to meet you

24. marsupial jones

at first i thought his comments were directed at Trump and i thought, "uhhh, pretty sure that's some type of crime to threaten the president like that" but i think he's commenting at the Seth guy so that's probably not a crime, right?

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Anthony_ likes this.