Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 90

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. Marx&Recreation Sep 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2019)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah I don’t think this guy is from such a different comedy circle as people like Jost or Che or Davidson. At least compared to the improv/“alt” comedy crowd

2. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Lol

Again, if you’re going to be that type of comic then at least own up to it, bc nobody is going to buy that kind of stuff as a “miss” or “risk,” let alone that you’re sorry about it.

Zilla likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen Sep 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

"I fucking suck ass" is probably not the direction someone on one of the most influential shows should go

5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I guess it’s no surprise he has defenders, seeing as their mostly fans of edgelord hacks like Big Jay Oakerson.

incognitojones and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

PFT is a treasure

8. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

ohhhh so that dude who called me and my friends chinks was a comedian.

9. St. Nate

Gallhammer, Jacob, CarpetElf and 6 others like this.
  10. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

good thread from Megh with more stuff

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I wonder if he'll actually get fired before the season starts

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

cue Simmons saying “comedy is in a really dangerous place if people can’t tell jokes” in the next 24 hours

13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Knowing SNL, he's not going to get fired, he'll get a weekend update segment where he gets to apologize and talk about freedom of speech, it'll create a bunch of right wing talking points and outrage reactions, that will be used for free press, and then he'll never do anything and get fired after a year, which will lead to another cycle of outrage and free press.

Its not a great idea to create outrage as a marketing ploy, it damages credibility and focuses on negative attention to get people talking rather than doing something good and funny for positive attention to get people watching. but it is easy and it does work.

tons of people are talking about this and the people that hate SNL might now watch because in their demented minds they'd be "defending free speech", when they're defending hack racism that's been hack for decades. Its SNL snagging a "triggered" banner from a Netflix special, shitheads like Lorne and Jost think this helps them "appeal to the other side" or whatever. A mindset that is a huge contributor to why SNL is basically unwatchable and a trash organization.

They had to have known this shit and purposefully did it to help ratings and create buzz at the expense of hiring some non-shithead actually funny comic and making a good, funny show that people talked about because they liked it.

14. Anthony_

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol

y2jayjk likes this.
  16. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

just being blatantly racist is funny?

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I could come up with 100 jokes right now that aren't calling someone the f word for talking about mental health onstage or inventing new stereotypes

18. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Someone says something not only racist but also just painfully unfunny/void of any punchline

Every famous comedian on twitter: Today we lament the death of comedy

19. Anthony_

This bizarre conflation of “comedian says something racist” with “joke” will never cease to perplex me. Like, is it just because the source of the racism calls themselves a comedian that they get that protection? So all Donald Trump has to do is start putting together a tight five and everything he says is protected as comedy? Like I truly don’t get it. Being racist is not a joke. You can tell jokes involving race, or you can just be racist. Those are two separate things.

EDIT: racism here is interchangeable with homophobia obviously, same principle applies

y2jayjk, CarpetElf, Mary V and 2 others like this.
  20. St. Nate

I think jokes can be bad for many reasons. Like it may lack a punchline or overly corny or derivative or racist. Multiple reasons.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Anthony_ like this.
  21. imthegrimace

yeah what I saw weren't even jokes, just a dude complaining and being racist

22. Anthony_

And his idiot friend is somehow even worse in a lot of it.

imthesheriff likes this.
  23. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Gethard’s response to all of it has been so good. He keeps deleting the tweets but I just love and respect him so much.

24. imthegrimace

What's going on with Gethard?

25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Ugh, yup.