Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 71

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Well I guess this does fall into the category of "things we all assumed happened and kinda shrugged our shoulders at but maybe it shouldn't be a thing"

But agreed.... if you donate a building that's fine. But only a few hundred thousand? Psh. Jail

2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

yeah this whole thing is about "how do I buy my kid into college if I can only afford to spend a few hundred grand and not tens of millions"

domotime2 and Anthony_ like this.
  3. This whole thing is about eating the rich

chris and mad like this.
  4. Wharf Rat

chris likes this.
  5. dreams are all I've got at this point

6. Joe Mar 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 13, 2019)
    According to this article, Singer is no longer attached to Red Sonja.

Powerful Friends: After Kevin Tsujihara, More Executives Pushed to Cast Actress Charlotte Kirk

edit: I just read the article, and this entire Charlotte Kirk situation is strange. I'm at work and had to read through the article fast, so I'm having trouble making proper sense of it.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I mean I knew rich parents could afford extra opportunities for their kids to look desirable on applications and of course having a family of alumni and large donations to the school but I didn't realize they were like paying for faked SAT scores and stuff. I'm not surprised but like wow our lives are different lol

supernovagirl likes this.
  8. Kiana

Also oop at how everyone whines about the "unfairness" of affirmative action but I don't hear them piping up at rich people being fraudulent and literally take the opportunities of others

Arry, Jacob and supernovagirl like this.
  9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

That’s literally exactly what I was saying!
    I also agree how normalized it is that we accept that donating to the school is typically how people would get in and we don’t bat an eye but this we have a problem with lol

Kiana likes this.
  10. ReginaPhilange Mar 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 13, 2019)
    ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Instead of you must be this tall to ride it's you must be this rich to bribe. cool.

bad sarcasm but it's just annoying.

11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Optimistic in me says this is a good gateway to showing how “ivy league” is some classist bullshit but prolly not.

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Think about all the kids who make sports teams in middle school and high school because their parents are rich or have money? It's all politics (at least it was where I'm from). A lot of teams aren't going to cut kids because their parents provide the booster groups with a shitload of money while some deserving kids don't make the team.

RJ Knorr and supernovagirl like this.
  13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I'm shocked some people seem to think this or related things was new or whatever. This has been going on forever.

14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Yep exactly. The whole system of acceptance to colleges is extremely reliant on class privileges. Playing sports is expensive. Having time to volunteer is a privilege. Having access to money and resources such as tutoring and SAT prep...all of the things colleges care about. It’s all a class game and we act like it’s not.

15. drewinseries

Drew

This is my big bias, but I would have people reconsider college if you’re not studying a STEM field. The cost is so high and the takeback doesn’t equate.

This country and society puts so much pressure on getting into a “good school” that much of the purpose of it in the first place is lost.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

17. Wharf Rat

"alice cooper defends johnny depp on latest album" is uhhhhhh really quite a lede

ChaseTx and Joe4th like this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The people from Dead Meat were very quick to jump and defend Depp after the (uncited) “new details” came forward, which sucked. They apologized

19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty much everyone I know (including myself) has a career in something other than what they went to college for. It's kind of laughable unless you're like a lawyer, doctor or engineer or something super technical that takes way longer than four years to study for.

20. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

What happened?

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I guess some blog reported that Amber Heard was allegedly lying about the abuse from Depp (any research that I've done points to people saying it started with a Depp stan twitter account), so James tweeted:

Chelsea then tweeted:

They, rightfully, got backlash and then retracted.

They both mean well judging from the videos and the way James handles a lot of shitty nerdom culture. Still, a bad look.

Full Effect Ed likes this.
  22. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

They’re really good people who mean well. They just jumped the gun and spoke waaaaaaaay too soon

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Arry, Shakriel and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  24. Kiana

There legit like arent rich people where I live so that's just not a thing here.

I didn't major in a stem degree but I do actually have a job related to my field and found a decent amount of openings related to my field but like lots of people here don't have degrees so they need people. And I make enough to be comfortable and stuff but then I hear people in bigger cities acting like my wage is nothing so I think living in a cheap rural area is what allows me to live comfortably on what I make and if I lived in the city I'd probably be struggling more

25. drewinseries

Drew

I wish I lived in a cheaper area.

I'm a Bioinformatician, (computer scientist/biologist hybrid) and my fiance is a Civil Engineer, we live in Boston area and are having a hard time finding affordable housing for us within 30 miles of Boston. It's insane. We have a household income of ~135k.

I'm glad I went to a cheap public school because it saved me dealing with insane loans now.