Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 50

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

apparently he was rambling about how you can't say the n word anymore while promoting his movie about racism in the 60s and Mahershala was part of the same panel

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh no.

5. Aragorn why

6. mad

I was right. Prestigious

mega yikes

7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Ugh

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

"In making the point that many people casually used the ‘N’ word at the time in which the movie’s story takes place, in 1962, I used the full word. Although my intention was to speak strongly against racism, I have no right to even imagine the hurt that is caused by hearing that word in any context, especially from a white man. I do not use the word in private or in public. I am very sorry that I did use the full word last night, and will not utter it again."

Incredible

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Uuuuuuughhhh just don’t say it it’s not hard.

10. drewinseries

Drew

Honestly, if he has been saying it on set/getting into character to do so, and promoting the period peace, I can understand why he could have slipped it in context. I think it's important to understand why the word is so hurtful based on media that deal with it.

stars143 likes this.
  11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean tons of people are in films saying the word without then saying it to a live audience, and if he needs to be freely saying it outside of filming to get in character that’s its own problem.

12. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Yeah, I agree with this. Context is key.

13. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Based on what I've read it didn't seem like it slipped out by accident or whatever. Sounds like he was saying "lots of people back then said '<n word>'." Like, he thought it was okay because he was referencing the use of the word rather than actually using it, if you get what I mean. He's obviously wrong. And maybe its not even worth the distinction...but if we're talking about it

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Not surprised but still sigh

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

No surprise here, dude's a huge misogynist

16. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Don’t think it’s young teens in positions of power, dumbass.

18. wakaflockajamez

die die die, cry cry cry

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

bad Eggsy

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

:facepalm:

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I know I shouldn’t judge people based on absolutely nothing, but this does not surprise me in the slightest little bit.

22. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Unless he states otherwise, I assume every White Man in Hollywood has this opinion

23. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Good, maybe it's best him and others won't be able to procreate.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

This is a mess. She blamed her support of a rapist on being high. The audacity honestly.

Contender likes this.
  25. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Cool how every time Lena has an egregious quote in this, they immediately pivot back to her illness like “wait don’t be mad, she is suffering while being insufferable!” Why did I read this whole thing.