Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

yeah, which is my point. the people saying "hey, this is offensive" are right wingers who are not actually offended and if they are its only because they think imperial mercenaries who sign up to kill brown people overseas are infallible and making fun of them in any way is the worst thing imaginable. if you don't watch SNL and don't know who Pete Davidson is, those people are the only reason you've even heard of this joke. this entire conversation is them winning

2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

the only reason I've heard of this joke is this thread. literally did not know about any outrage about it at all. all i said was i don't believe that someone being shitty gives you the excuse to be shitty in a way that potentially harms others as well. is that really an absurd concept? literally all that is being said is "hey, attack this guy who deserves to be attacked in a way that doesn't possibly attack others as well."

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

he's not being attacked for having an eyepatch. he's being attacked for having an eyepatch because he signed up to become a murdering piece of shit and is now bragging about it and using the eyepatch so he can get power to be a bigger piece of shit and murder more people. the only way the joke can be extrapolated and possibly attack others as well is if they also are using their disability to try to murder people.

yung_ting likes this.
  4. Wharf Rat

also, even if you didn't know about it, it is still true that the only reason this conversation is happening is because of bad-faith right wing outrage

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

the fact that he was in the military was kind of just brushed aside. the joke was the eyepatch. if he didn't include that "he was in the military, whatever" line, then there is no conservative outrage but this conversation still exists.

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that’s really the crux of the whole thing. No one agrees that the military shouldn’t be called out or attacked or that their outrage comes from any respectable place at all, just that the joke itself is still problematic and we don’t have to agree with it to disagree with them. Pete has said way worse stuff than that on tons of other subjects, and being bummed out by his choices for punchlines is nothing new.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

this is the first post in this thread about this, tell me if you think the military part of it made a difference to this person:

chris and Jason Tate like this.
  8. Wharf Rat

also, the joke was that he is a comically evil person, not the eyepatch

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Wow. And I thought I knew you. Go listen to Ariana and get back to me.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I have! That's a dope album.

11. "Number 2" from Austin Powers is parodying Emilio Largo (Bond villain).

12. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Gotcha, deleted my post because I didn't want to be equated with saying all people with eye patches are evil or something

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Am I automatically a right winger if I was offended by the joke??? Or am I a right winger because I'm disagreeing with Jason here???

I'm registered Independent and have voted for the Democratic candidate in every presidential election since I was old enough to vote. I love Barack Obama to this day and think about how intelligent and eloquent he was and how wonderful it felt to hear him speak every time I read one of Trump's awful and unintelligent tweets. I not only voted for Hillary but honestly believed in my heart that we lived in a world where no sane human being would ever vote for Donald Trump. I had already started talking to my daughter about how big of a deal it was that we were going to have our first female president even though she was barely a toddler and really pretty much still a baby.

I had worked a double on election day and was trying to stay up and watch the election but was falling asleep. My wife kept shaking me pointing at the results being tallied saying it looks like there's a way Trump could win, it looks like he's gaining momentum. I honestly believed in my head and heart there was no way, we're all adults here. I vividly remember her jolting me awake at like 3:30 am or some other hour in the middle of the night, crying, pointing at the TV saying "he won". It felt like some awful horrible fever dream alternate universe that I wanted no part of, that we still haven't escaped from. I still sometimes forget for a brief few minutes that Donald Trump is actually president until I look down at my phone or at a news aryicle on the computer and it makes me sick to my stomach.

The military part did make a huge difference to me. Jason and I obviously have very different views on the US military. Does that automatically make me a right winger?

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

E57A4EC7-5358-450D-AE3F-1CE76AA71A92.jpeg

Tyler, Brother Beck and CarpetElf like this.
  15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

(We disagree with the joke for very different reasons I can tell.)

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. Brother Beck Nov 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 5, 2018)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The military thing pissed me off, but it's also a shitty ableist joke. To me it's the really bad subtle insidious kind of ableist which is exactly why he's getting a pass here from everyone who hates Dan Crenshaw. That kind of casual hateful joke seems to do so much more damage among the kind of people I see and talk to and interact with because for the most part most people I know aren't fine with someone just dropping a horribly racist joke with the N word or a terribly homophobic joke using the word F word (not fuck). But referring to something as gay to mean bad, calling someone a retard were the types of casual thing I would see and hear a lot in school all growing up and I've honestly still seen adults that I work with do it to this day.

I was honestly surprised that Jason and mostly everyone here are totally fine with it simply because they hate Dan Crenshaw so much.

Jason, I still think my logic is sound in asking if you would be fine with a racist or homophobic or misogynistic joke directed at Dan Crenshaw if he were a race other than white or if he were gay or if he were a woman and I think you are being a coward in not answering and just saying in this context ableism is fine.

17. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Not necessarily, but it does make you someone who should probably step back and re-examine their views on the US military.

yeahrightdude and CarpetElf like this.

18. Just a spattering of what the Alt Right is doing with this btw.

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The same people who think a KKK rally is free speech.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

No way he gets nominated but still gross and also gross that his movie made 50 million

Zilla, Arry and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That really sucks. I couldn’t follow everything with the production once it all fell apart but I was hopeful that he would actually be fired and have his name taken off. The fact that not only did he not but this is getting pushed for awards is just blaaaah. Still blown away that nothing has stuck for him yet.

22. ichism

Legally blind person here. First time posting. The joke was not making fun of blind people or people with eye patches for being blind or having an eye patch. The joke hinges on the being bad part. The joke was this evil person looks like what a stereotype of the bad guy from old movies looks like. I think the doing evil while looking like an evil stereotype joke only becomes ableist if the recipient is not being evil or you are saying all eye patch wearing people are evil or can't be trusted. No one not being evil should find this offensive. I don't. It's not saying eye patches or those with them are evil but that this person wearing one looks like the stereotype while being the stereotype.

stars143, zigbigwig, Zilla and 13 others like this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Dexter only was on set for 16 days it's tough because regardless of credit Bryan made the movie and that sucks

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I really appreciate your input on the subject.

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Where is Alan Smithee when we need him??